POPSUGAR Editorial Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I submitted an application and was asked to complete a writing sample within five days. This included five sample posts with photos and links, as well as answers to a few questions about the publications you read, the TV show you most like to watch, etc. Afterwards, I spoke with an editor on the phone. Then I had another round one in-person interviews with three members of the team.

Interview Questions

• What blogs, websites, and magazines do you read on a regular basis?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for POPSUGAR

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at POPSUGAR.

Interview

I submitted an online application for the position and one month later I received an email from an employee thanking me for my interest and requesting a writing sample. The writing sample was due within a week.

The writing sample consisted of three prompts relating to the tasks required in the position (i.e writing pseudo-articles in the company's style within the genre of the position). Within these prompts, I was asked to describe how I would promote the articles on social media platforms. The second half of the writing sample included five interview-style questions.

After submitting the writing sample, I was told they'd be in touch soon. When I didn't hear anything back, I sent a follow-up email. I never heard back from the company.

I normally don't expect an answer when submitting general applications, but I find it odd to receive nothing after they stated they'd reach out.

Interview Questions

• What are your go-to sources for finding out what's happening on the internet each day?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about three celebrities or personalities that you believe have exceptional social media presence. What makes them exceptional?   Answer Question
    • In your opinion, what three things make content "shareable"?   Answer Question
    • What celebrity would you most like to have dinner with, and why?   Answer Question
    • Which of the POPSUGAR verticals are your favorite, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application for Editorial Assistant and received a follow-up the next day asking me to complete an assignment (create a blog from 6 writing prompts on their blogging platform). I spent a few hours on that, sent it in and received a reply the next day that said they really liked what I had done and asked me if I could come in for an interview the next week. I met with two managers there, spent about an hour speaking to both of them (separately) and thought that the interview went pretty well (albeit a bit rushed). I sent a follow-up the next day thanking them for their time and reaffirming my interest. I never heard back! It's so unprofessional not to even send a reply - rejection or not - at that stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I e-mailed my resume and cover letter as it said to do on the job posting on their website. Got an e-mail a few days later telling me to submit writing samples based on their prompts. After I submitted at the end of that week, the week after I got a response saying they wanted to set up an in person interview. I went in and met with 2 different people who were involved with the hiring of Editorial Assistants. First one was nice and engaging, asked me questions about my samples. The second one seemed disinterested from her body language and facial expressions. It seemed like she had already made up her mind. I followed up a few days later and only because I followed up was I given the rejection. It seemed like had I not followed up, I would not have heard back. Definitely read the questions people have listed on Glassdoor, as they did come up in my interview!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

I was contacted via email and asked to complete a 10 page editorial test complete with bylines, photos, and blog entries. After submitting the document, I was asked to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by the Editor, Managing Editor, and Communications manager. Each person came in separately and asked me the same questions. I was supposed to be interviewed by the CEO as well, but they cut the interview short in the middle because of a "breaking news story" and said the would "call me back" to reschedule. I tried to get in touch with them over the next week and they never answered any of my calls until, 10 days later they finally told me they had hired someone else.

Overall, I found the experience negative, and the staff was somewhat condescending and rude.