PSEG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 4, 2017

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PSEG (Newark, NJ).

Interview

I got a call a few weeks after i applied and i went to their head office in Newark to interview. I was interviewed by 2 people and the questions were all behavioral questions and one question about the internal Ops of PSEG.
    It took like 12 weeks for them to get back to me with a decision. The email i received was the same email they send to the general applicants that don't make the cut for the interview. They could have atleast put some more effort to draft a more personalized email to the candidates that don't go past the interview stage.

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PSEG (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

This was an extremely long process. PSEG has a thorough hiring process that can take up to four months. The interview itself was very thorough with technical questions to see where you best fit in company.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PSEG (Newark, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

Brief technical interview followed by behaivioral interview. Interview lasted one and a half hours and was with a panel of thred interviewers including a very senior engeneer. They were very happy and easy going untill I asked about where I could find the company's employee handbook, or any other resource where employee responsibilities, promotions and other vital onformation can be found. It turns out they had no such resource. They were clearly botherex by the simple question and went about fkr 15 minutes explaining their way aroud it.

Senior Business Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at PSEG (Newark, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

PSEG Fake Interview Process.
    I registered on the PSEG career site on March 14th 2017. I didn’t see any jobs that I liked so I didn’t apply for anything. On March 30th, I get an email from PSEG asking to participate in a digital interview for a Sr. Business Financial Analyst. I couldn’t believe it, it was a perfect job for me and I thought it was a miracle. I searched for this job on the internet and got the job description. However the PSEG site stated that “1929 Sr. Business Financial Analyst - Date: Mar 6, 2017 - Sorry, this position has been filled.” I decided to go for it anyway. I completed the digital interview. Was invited for another interview in Newark. The interview was with three senior managers who took turns reading the “behavioral” and “situational” questions. I think there were 15 – 20 questions. Some were somewhat repetitive and some didn’t make much sense. Then, I interviewed with the hiring Finance manager. I was totally qualified for the job. I emailed a “thank you” note to the manager, emailed HR requesting the status. I didn’t hear anything back from PSEG. On May 29, I got an email form them letting me know that they hired another candidate.
    Fast forward... On July 17th, I get an email from PSEG that reads the following: “Thanks for expressing interest in a career opportunity with PSEG. You recently applied to our open "Sr. Financial Systems Analyst" position and we are interested in learning more about your experience. Please complete and return the attached questionnaire along with a copy of your resume to …” Now I see the red flag. I have not applied for this position, I am not really qualified for this position and PSEG applied for me on their career site. Again, I researched the position and the PSEG site stated the following: “Sr. Financial Systems Analyst - Date: Jun 14, 2017 - Sorry, this position has been filled.” The requests for the interviews were after the positions were filled according the PSEG site. It seems to me that PSEG already hired someone they wanted for these positions and now they are conducting fake interviews to comply with the company’s hiring policy. This is just my opinion.

Interview Questions

• When you worked with someone who is different from you and how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PSEG.

Interview

I applied online on PSEG website and got interview call within two weeks. I was interviewed by three people who asked me both technical and behavioral questions. I was told to answer behavioral questions using STAR approach.

IT Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PSEG (Newark, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

In my opinion, do not go on an interview with PSEG if you expect them to respect your work history or references.

I had a phone interview for an IT Data Analyst position and advanced on to the onsite 2nd Interview.

I came prepared to the 2nd Interview with my cover letter, resume of 15 years work experience, references and a flash drive with copies of my work.

At the end of the 2nd Interview, I was given a Homework assignment to research 3 local cities and their school systems and report that information back to the hiring manager.

In my opinion, a homework assignment was utterly ridiculous , the topic was not at all related to the position, and completely condescending to someone with 10 plus years work history with references.

When I told them I felt singled out, they told me everyone was asked to do a Homework Assignment.

When I t told them I felt it was unrelated to my position, they told me they disagreed with that statement.

In my opinion, how does reporting on schools at municipalities relate to IT analysis. I do not know.

FYI. In my opinion, the Interview process is horrible and if that is the culture of their management. In my opinion, you do not want to work there

Secondly, I felt baited when I told them I was going to the EEOC and getting an attorney because in my opinion, their email correspondence came acrossed as "GO HEAD DO IT."

This is a company that has some serious hiring issues.

Interview Questions

• Ridiculous STAR method that did not allow you to appropriately answer anything   1 Answer

Asset Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at PSEG (Newark, NJ) in June 2016.

Interview

Took 4 months to get an answer and no feedback provided. For one positions, did not get any correspondence. For another, got a generic email, my current experience and skills match directly to the job and had really good references from working with other PSEG staff. My previous interview experience was much more pleasant than this time. I rescinded from another open position due to the lack of feedback and clarity/transparency in the hiring process. May be they knew who they wanted to hire, and conducted interviews for optics only. But one will never know!

Interview Questions

• Group/Panel interview, some job specific questions and other behaviorial questions to be answered in their STAR format   Answer Question

Project Asset Management Interview

Interview

Just like the others. Star format. One technical question. It was a phone interview. I answered all questions to the best of my capability and knowledge of the job I applied for.

Project Associate Engineer/Engineer/Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Plainfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PSEG (South Plainfield, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied Online and about 2 months later someone contacted me to come in for an interview. I had 2 managers interviewed with me at their South Plainfield office. overall I didn't think it was that difficult having in mind that I completely dislike interviews with behavioral questions.
    They said it would take 2 weeks to hear back from them because they have to make a quick decision to fill the position which it was to replace someone who had left the company.

Interview Questions

• Technical Questions
      -What do you think it takes to build a transition tower/ Describe the process.
      -What Codes and Standards do you think are used to build transmission Towers.

Behavioral questions Using the STAR format answer
      -describe a time when you had do deal with people from different backgrounds
      -Describe a time when you had to deal with an ethical issue/ or time management issue.
      -Describe a time when you had to deal with a safety issue or what have you done to implement safety in your work.
      -Describe a time when you have gone above and beyond to perform well.   Answer Question

Systems Plant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hancocks Bridge, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PSEG (Hancocks Bridge, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

On site interview, Nuclear Power Plant, Hope Creek. STAR format. Took place in the LDC building with 2 panelists who were branch managers at Hope Creek. The interview started with an introduction on the positions. First question was "walk me through your resume". They asked 3 technical, 4 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is troubleshooting and describe a situation where you had to troubleshoot.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to deal with a difficult group member?   1 Answer