Pacific Gas and Electric Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 13, 2017

2.8

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (Stockton, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

There was a recorded online interview and an in person interview. The recorded interview asks question and you have to record your response. The in-person interview is more behavioural and in more detail.

ERDP Interview

Interview

Interview process was easy. I applied online and about a week later I got a call for an interview. The interview was strange, you had to record yourself answering questions through your computers webcam.

Business Finance Analyst, Associate (Parent/Child) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in early march of 2016. I returned a missed call from Joe Noya hiring manager. He was screening 60 applicants for a total of 6 positions (5 in SF-Parent, 1 in San Ramon-Child), please note the phone call will catch you off guard as part of the unscheduled interview screening. After two weeks I didn't hear anything back so I gave him a call and left a voicemail since I knew they were looking for people to start early April I kind of guessed the timeline they would bring people to the onsite interview. The next day a recruiter calls me and sets up an on-site 4-hour interview on 03/23. He emails me links to 2014 PG&E Annual Report & 2014 Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Report and tells me to send him a 6-8 slides consisting of the key concepts for both reports. It's as simple as it is, out of the 7 interviewers only the manager asked about this info.

The entire interview itself was a broken up into (4) 45 min back to back interviews and 1 (40min) excel assessment test.

Advice on the exam:
    1. The excel test is on the excel app is basically (problem replication on a spreadsheet with sections (tabs) on Conditional Formatting, Pivot Tables, IF-Functions SumIF, CountIF, Macros, and Filtering. Not just basic items but understand the full functionality with additional criteria being requested.

2. The 40 mins start as soon as you receive the laptop.

Face to face interview process:
    The interview consists of a 2 to 1 interviews with the exception of a 1 to 1 with the manager of the finance team so total of 7 people. (1 manager 1 supervisor 1 Principal Analyst, 1 Sr. Analyst, 2 Analyst, and 1 associate). There is about 10 other people being interviewed at the same time but all in different rooms for one position.

1. Questions about your resume or you
    2. The rest of the questions revolve on clarity from your job than they jump into a formal process of interviewing such as the STAR Method of interview questions
    3. Questions about your problem-solving experience
    4. Behavioral Questions on situations from your previous work experience
    5. Questions for the interviewer

Facts about the interviewers:
    1. The majority are all between ages of 24~35, they graduated from prestigious colleges like Harvard, Berkeley,Stanford or have master degrees in finance. They are "face" people not sure if that matter in the talent they seek
    2. Some are very cool and relax, others have callous personalities.

My advice is to focus more on the excel skill set instead of the powerpoint slides.

As for the closing process:

The interviewers mentioned they would have an answer by the following week. After two weeks I reached out to the recruiter they told me they are still making decisions. After a month I followed up and no response so I guess I didn't get the job. P.S. this position was very entry level I have no background in finance i took some business classes here and there but you will still be considered!

Interview Questions

• Was 2014 a good or bad year for PGE?
      Why do you want to leave your current job?
      Why Business Finance ?
      Why PG&E?
      How does PG&E makes its money?
      Who approves the revenue release/profit targets? -   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Submitted my application online at PG&E Career during Dec 15 - Jan 16. Heard back from HR in late March for an interview. After the interview, it took about 2 weeks to get an verbal offer from HR. Required to pass drug screening and other pre-employment test before you get an official offer. Took me about 1 month from the interview to official offer. Interview was based on the STAR process. Difficulty of the interview will depend on your interview imo. My interviewer made me feel relaxed and calm during the process so I was able to ace the interview. Interviewed lasted around 1 hour. The first question will always be on safety.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever made any decision or judgement using intuition? What's the result?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals in the next 5 years?   Answer Question
    • How would your current supervisor describe you as an employee?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience dealing with customers   Answer Question

Summer IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

This was a video interview, in which I had to enter through a link they send you in an email. There will be a practice interview with different questions from the recorded interview. During the interview process they will give you around 30-60 seconds to think about the question then around 30-60 seconds to answer. There was a total of 3 questions.

Nuclear Security Officer- Unarmed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Luis Obispo, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I went to the job fair PG&E put on at the Diablo canyon information center and the recruiter said to apply for this job NO Experience Required. Thinking this should be an easy thing since my back ground in the Navy we did plenty of Security for duty day.

Had the initial call to verify basic eligibility of employment, like if i was a citizen and such can i stand on my feet and walk for up to 5 miles a day very basic stuff. Again nothing mentioned about certain Qualifications.

Today I received an email thanking me for my interest and stating While your background has many Strengths, we'are moving forward with other candidates whose Qualifications better match our needs! !

For a job that didn't require Experience!
    and of course like most companies the email is unreplyable so no way to get answers

Interview Questions

• Ask if i was a citizen and such can i stand on my feet and walk for up to 5 miles a day very basic stuff.   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in December, and received an e-mail in late February inviting me to an interview. I interviewed with a three-person panel that asked me about my skills and experiences. I was also asked to submit a writing sample. After the interview, I was told I did a good job and would hear back in 1-2 weeks if I would be invited back for a second interview. I left two voice messages and an e-mail, and never received a update.

Clerical/Administrative Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in March 2016.

Interview

Applied in January, took the CTB exam in February, contacted one week after passing and got invited for an interview in March. Then 6 weeks later, I recieve an e-mail telling me that I have not been selected.

Interview Questions

• About 10 questions consisted of the basics and some critical thinking. Ex; tell me about a time you've dealt with a difficult situation at work and how you handled it?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with the recruiter during an event. I spoke with them concerning an internship, the recruiter was impressed and scheduled me for a Next Day interview. I have the Interview the next day morning(Friday) and i got an offer on Monday Morning.

It was very good and the recruiters are so efficient and effective.

The questions didnt come as a Quiz, it was more like an interaction. An answer leading to another question.

Interview Questions

• They are basically behaviour questions.

Why do you want to work for PG&E
      Have you ever worked in teams?
      Had a difficult team member? How did you handle it?
      What kind of team member are you.(Do you let others do the job or ??)
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to get a job done.
      Tell me about a time your integrity was questioned.
      Tell me about a you had a different opinion, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Gas Operations Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric in March 2016.

Interview

5 questions in all, 3 behavioral and 2 about courses in College relevant to the position of interest. It was kind of funny because I received a rejection letter initially but was later called back after 2 weeks asking if I was still interested since a spot just became available

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went out of your way to please a customer   Answer Question

I got busy with something else since I was initially rejected