Pacific Gas and Electric Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

2.8

Mapping Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

Streamlined and easy. Apply, then wait for email to do test, then interview! The people who interviewed me were intelligent and down to earth, and I was very comfortable discussing my background to them. They seemed to agree because I was offered a position. If you're offered a job however, it comes with a full background and previous employment verification by an outside company. You must also do a drug screen within 72 business hours from the offer. I passed everything but the drug screen (THC). It's not an outside lineman job, so HR advised me that I could be reconsidered again, if and only if, I submit certification of having completed minimum 30-day "substance abuse" treatment. Lol, please. This just doesn't fly for someone with actual medical conditions for which cannabis is used as an ideal treatment, as opposed to Big Pharma. It's a freaking mapping job ffs, and I've digitized PG&Es maps before (a nearly year long project). Why don't they go after the pill poppers, tweakers, and drunks instead? When will society learn to steer away from blanket rules?
    Revise your drug policies for office folks, PG&E!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to handle a task with little to no direction.   Answer Question

Safety Incident Investigator, Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First phone screening went well, then nothing. First phone screening happened again for same job. Got me to phone interview. Phone interview led to in-person interview. This is where it starts going south. The email inviting me to the interview stated that the time and date could not be changed due to the schedules of the interview panel. This should have been a red flag. No consideration was given to my schedule or availability on that date.
    Was required to submit a writing sample on a subject that they would provide. I needed to ask twice for them to send me the subject, which they finally sent me three days before he interview.
    Took off time from work to fly to Oakland for the live interview, which lasted about 90 minutes with 3 people. The interviewers were very pleasant, professional, and seemed to be very knowledgeable. There were no trick questions, and I didn't hear a single buzzword the whole time.
    I left with a very positive feeling about the interview and the interviewers.
    After no contact for about two weeks, I got a computer-generated email telling me that the requisition had been cancelled. No phone call. Not even an email from an actual person. After taking the trouble to go there on their schedule with no consideration for mine, and after foregoing about $1000 in lost wages for the days off, I felt that the courtesy of a phone call was very little to expect from professionals. I didn't get it.
    Submitted the required form for reimbursement of my travel expenses. No check for over a month. Called to inquire. Was told that the reimbursement had been approved, but still no check, no call back telling me when to expect it. Still waiting for the check. It's been almost 8 weeks now.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (Concord, CA).

Interview

I first enrolled online then had a pone screening with recruiter. Very basic. Interview was with panel (supervisors of 2 different departments and women who held position I was interviewing for)

Interview Questions

• Standard ones. When have you found yourself in a ln uncomfortable position and how did you work it out etc   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview went well as per schedule. Recruiter was very helpful from start to end of interview process. Still waiting of feedback from recruiter. Had interview with two panels of 4 members.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview time slot is 2 hours. There are two 2-person panel interviews. They ask you to give an overview of your experience and then they ask you a lot of questions about your experiences reflected on your resume. They'll ask you some of the same questions on the application process, such as commuting. They'll describe the position duties and responsibilities, and ask again if you're interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• What makes an effective communicator?   1 Answer

Senior Change Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Lengthy process involving a consulting partner of PG&E. They recruited me, had two phone screens, multiple onsite/panel interviews. They indicated I was a perfect fit, then told me they wanted to interview other candidates. That was months ago and the role has since been posted and reposted multiple times.

Interview Questions

• Describe the leadership triangle and the influence you have in it to lead to a consensus decision   Answer Question

Senior Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. Mine consisted of one phone screening and one panel (4-6 people) interview followed by a 2 person panel interview. Cookie cutter questions that a panel of interviewers peppers you with and has you answer in the STAR format. The questions weren't particularly challenging as long as you do a little preparation prior to your interview. Keep in mind that SAFETY is the number one priority at PG&E so make sure to incorporate safety somehow in each of your answers for a technical construction or engineering related role.

The hiring process took a while (a little over a month from the interview) and communication during the hiring process was sub par at best. I sent multiple questions regarding the offer and days to weeks went by without a response. Similarly, it took a while to receive the written offer after the verbal offer was made. The HR department committed to multiple dates and consistently missed the dates in which they promised deliverables. Negotiation of salary is expected but there generally isn't
    too much wiggle room once an initial offer is made.

Interview Questions

• If you were replacing a large diameter pipeline in a commercial area, what considerations would need to be made to assure the pipeline was installed successfully?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision that others may have opposed.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that shows how you overcame a large challenge in your previous role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I countered their initial offer with some salary data that I compiled from glassdoor.com similar sites and used my previous salary plus 15% as my backing for my counter offer. They came back with a counter offer about 5-6% higher than their initial offer. Most positions have a pay band so depending on your experience level in the position you are applying for, you will be placed somewhere in the pay band for your level of position. Meaning if you have 8 years of experience as a project manager and are applying for a project manager position you should aim for the middle to high end of their pay band.

Customer Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Carlos, CA).

Interview

The interview process was seamless and I felt informed every step of the way. There was one phone screen with a recruiter followed by a panel interview on-site. Offer came a week later. Great experience overall!

Interview Questions

• Why PG&E and what makes you a great candidate?   1 Answer

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (Walnut Creek, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a Panel interview. The questions were not typical interview questions. They were a bit more difficult. They asked more situational questions and overall it took about 40 minutes.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very Professional and Structured. Many questions of past history and behavioral based situations. Need to know process development and MOC, MOPC process. Overall, it was an easy and relaxing interview porcess

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were in charge of a project and faced challenges. How did you overcome and complete the project.   Answer Question