Pacific Gas and Electric Interview Questions in San Ramon, CA | Glassdoor

2.7

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mapping Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

Streamlined and easy. Apply, then wait for email to do test, then interview! The people who interviewed me were intelligent and down to earth, and I was very comfortable discussing my background to them. They seemed to agree because I was offered a position. If you're offered a job however, it comes with a full background and previous employment verification by an outside company. You must also do a drug screen within 72 business hours from the offer. I passed everything but the drug screen (THC). It's not an outside lineman job, so HR advised me that I could be reconsidered again, if and only if, I submit certification of having completed minimum 30-day "substance abuse" treatment. Lol, please. This just doesn't fly for someone with actual medical conditions for which cannabis is used as an ideal treatment, as opposed to Big Pharma. It's a freaking mapping job ffs, and I've digitized PG&Es maps before (a nearly year long project). Why don't they go after the pill poppers, tweakers, and drunks instead? When will society learn to steer away from blanket rules?
    Revise your drug policies for office folks, PG&E!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to handle a task with little to no direction.   Answer Question

Safety Incident Investigator, Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

First phone screening went well, then nothing. First phone screening happened again for same job. Got me to phone interview. Phone interview led to in-person interview. This is where it starts going south. The email inviting me to the interview stated that the time and date could not be changed due to the schedules of the interview panel. This should have been a red flag. No consideration was given to my schedule or availability on that date.
    Was required to submit a writing sample on a subject that they would provide. I needed to ask twice for them to send me the subject, which they finally sent me three days before he interview.
    Took off time from work to fly to Oakland for the live interview, which lasted about 90 minutes with 3 people. The interviewers were very pleasant, professional, and seemed to be very knowledgeable. There were no trick questions, and I didn't hear a single buzzword the whole time.
    I left with a very positive feeling about the interview and the interviewers.
    After no contact for about two weeks, I got a computer-generated email telling me that the requisition had been cancelled. No phone call. Not even an email from an actual person. After taking the trouble to go there on their schedule with no consideration for mine, and after foregoing about $1000 in lost wages for the days off, I felt that the courtesy of a phone call was very little to expect from professionals. I didn't get it.
    Submitted the required form for reimbursement of my travel expenses. No check for over a month. Called to inquire. Was told that the reimbursement had been approved, but still no check, no call back telling me when to expect it. Still waiting for the check. It's been almost 8 weeks now.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview time slot is 2 hours. There are two 2-person panel interviews. They ask you to give an overview of your experience and then they ask you a lot of questions about your experiences reflected on your resume. They'll ask you some of the same questions on the application process, such as commuting. They'll describe the position duties and responsibilities, and ask again if you're interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• What makes an effective communicator?   1 Answer

Senior Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward. Mine consisted of one phone screening and one panel (4-6 people) interview followed by a 2 person panel interview. Cookie cutter questions that a panel of interviewers peppers you with and has you answer in the STAR format. The questions weren't particularly challenging as long as you do a little preparation prior to your interview. Keep in mind that SAFETY is the number one priority at PG&E so make sure to incorporate safety somehow in each of your answers for a technical construction or engineering related role.

The hiring process took a while (a little over a month from the interview) and communication during the hiring process was sub par at best. I sent multiple questions regarding the offer and days to weeks went by without a response. Similarly, it took a while to receive the written offer after the verbal offer was made. The HR department committed to multiple dates and consistently missed the dates in which they promised deliverables. Negotiation of salary is expected but there generally isn't
    too much wiggle room once an initial offer is made.

Interview Questions

• If you were replacing a large diameter pipeline in a commercial area, what considerations would need to be made to assure the pipeline was installed successfully?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision that others may have opposed.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that shows how you overcame a large challenge in your previous role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I countered their initial offer with some salary data that I compiled from glassdoor.com similar sites and used my previous salary plus 15% as my backing for my counter offer. They came back with a counter offer about 5-6% higher than their initial offer. Most positions have a pay band so depending on your experience level in the position you are applying for, you will be placed somewhere in the pay band for your level of position. Meaning if you have 8 years of experience as a project manager and are applying for a project manager position you should aim for the middle to high end of their pay band.

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

STAR Based interview, you should know someone to get a job other wise you are wasting you time. start as a contractor then move in as a full time. the interview will be easy as they always know who they want.

Interview Questions

• give us an example on how you manage safety   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Submitted my application online at PG&E Career during Dec 15 - Jan 16. Heard back from HR in late March for an interview. After the interview, it took about 2 weeks to get an verbal offer from HR. Required to pass drug screening and other pre-employment test before you get an official offer. Took me about 1 month from the interview to official offer. Interview was based on the STAR process. Difficulty of the interview will depend on your interview imo. My interviewer made me feel relaxed and calm during the process so I was able to ace the interview. Interviewed lasted around 1 hour. The first question will always be on safety.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever made any decision or judgement using intuition? What's the result?   Answer Question
    • What are your career goals in the next 5 years?   Answer Question
    • How would your current supervisor describe you as an employee?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience dealing with customers   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied in December, and received an e-mail in late February inviting me to an interview. I interviewed with a three-person panel that asked me about my skills and experiences. I was also asked to submit a writing sample. After the interview, I was told I did a good job and would hear back in 1-2 weeks if I would be invited back for a second interview. I left two voice messages and an e-mail, and never received a update.

IT Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Was asked to fly to San Ramon to meet with hiring manager on my own dime, didn't cover any expenses, told I had to had to drive from San Francisco to San Ramon after I arrived in San Francisco and had to pay for the costs.

Interview Questions

• What level of experience with Microsoft Project did you do you fast have?   1 Answer

Gas Outage Scheduling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Interview

HR called two weeks after I'd applied for the job and set up an interview. It was a panel interview using the STAR method. They didn't ask one question about anything on my resume. The position didn't seem too complex. Since then they've reposted the job, which seems to happen often at pg&e with lots of the jobs being posted several times.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an unsafe condition that has happened at work   Answer Question

Senior Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pacific Gas and Electric (San Ramon, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Hiring was through a Minority based company. All Cost Engineers are contractors. This is done so they can recover their cost from the Government agency for amount spent which is over billed by EPC contractors.

Interview Questions

• Cost and Schedule based questions on P6 and Earned value   Answer Question