Palantir Technologies Deployment Strategist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Palantir Technologies Deployment Strategist Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2017

121 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Deployment Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

I applied online and had a recruiter phone screen a few days later. I then had a phone interview with someone currently in the role, and an onsite with several interviews with current DS team members. They were all well-prepared, and had taken the time to review my resume and experience before talking to me.

About 90% of the questions I answered during the process had to with past experience and behavioral questions, and most were duplicative with other interviewers' questions. "Tell me about a time when..." "How do you deal with difficult coworkers" etc. Think about specific instances where you resolved conflicts. They're looking for people who can lead teams.

I spent a lot of time preparing for hypothetical problem-solving questions and use-case analysis, but I didn't really get a chance to use much of this preparation because most of my interviewers seemed much more interested in past experience rather than ability to make future impact. It wasn't particularly difficult - I just had trouble with coming up with many, many examples of answers to the same backward-looking behavioral questions. YMMV.

Interview Questions

• What's in your toolkit?   1 Answer
  • Tell me about an analytical problem that you have worked on in the past   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

First round phone screen with recruiter, quick 30 min interview - reviewed background, why leaving company X, why Palantir, if you were CEO of company X what would you change. Second phone screen with deployment strategist with a quantitative backgound who was pleasant enough but started the call 10 min late and had standard questions prepared (listed below)

Interview Questions

• Describe a seminal event that changed/impacted how you think.   Answer Question
    • Benford's Law - when you map the leading digit of all the data in the world into a histogram from 1-9, there are much more that map to a 1,2 in comparison to a 8,9 - why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, setup a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes, and interviewed at the NY office a week later. Interviews seemed to go very well, enjoyed working through some of the open ended questions (e.g. given X type of data how would you do Y?). Overall interesting and fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical questions about how to utilize certain data sets to accomplish a task. Some basic behavioral like hardest project you've worked on, etc.   Answer Question

Deployment Strategist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out and had a 30 minute phone call. Next spoke to someone actually in the role for a 30 minute phone call. At all points of the process, interviewers were incredibly rude and disinterested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

internal referral and a recruiter contacted me within a week; set up a phone interview and it was mostly behavioural questions like strengths, weaknesses, questions about my CV. I was also asked about my technical ability.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

1. Phone Interview with Recruiter.
    2. Phone Interview with Deployment Strategist (One technical/comp question here done via Hacker Rank)
    3. Three interviews at their New York Office with Deployment Strageists.
    4 A few days later got an email stating they would not be proceeding with an interview with the Hiring Manager.

Just a note, don't even bother applying unless you went to an Ivy League School/Stanford or have a friend that is already on board, they simply are not interested but are inviting individuals onsite to allude any favoritism/nepotism

Interview Questions

• Bayes Theorem Question, What is something 90% of people disagree with you on, and a few other questions without definitive answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Process started with a recruiter. After the initial recruiter call and basic fit questions, I was scheduled for a dinner onsite that week at their West Village office. The dinner began with a quick demo by a current Deployment Strategist of the product - with the example being the use case of preventing money laundering - and then included a quick tour of the office and dinner at a restaurant next door.

At this stage I was given the option to either do a phone interview or come onsite. I opted for the phone interview, rather than an onsite, to be courteous of taking too much time off work, but I later found this was silly as my phone interviewer 10 minutes in told me that I would be progressing to a final round and that the phone interview was a waste of time. The phone interview was entirely fit questions with some of the more typical Palantir/Peter Thiel kind of questions.

After this round, I was brought onsite a week later. This interview consisted on 4 one-on-one interviews, 3 of which were almost entirely behavioral, and one of which was almost entirely analytical. In the behavioral interviews, I was asked short analytical questions, but, seeming appeased with my responses, we moved on to spend most of our time just speaking casually and intellectually toying with some of the classic Palantir questions. My last interview of the day was with a hiring manager, where we discussed why I was looking to leave my current job and if I was really prepared for the transition, as I was looking to leave my job in finance for Palantir, where title is much more amorphous. Interviewed on site on a Thursday and received my offer on Monday.

Interview Questions

• Given the CEOs of a bank and an insurance company, how can you convince them to share their data?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the terms of my offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Timeline for my interview process went as follows.

Early August – First email from Palantir requesting to setup an initial interview.

Mid August – Phone interview. 30 minutes and was with a recruiter. Many standard HR questions as well as detailed questions about my CV work experience and schooling. In particular the recruiter wanted to know about the problems I work on, and how I approach problem solving both in a technical sense and in a team environment. I thought we had a good conversation and I did enjoy talking to the recruiter

Late August – Second phone interview. 40 minutes and was supposed to be with a Deployment Strategist but I chatted with a “Legal Ninja”. HR questions and questions about my work and education background. Asked about my weaknesses, and went in depth. He really wanted me to delve into them. Also asked about what is broken around me. Told me near the end of the interview that he wanted to bring me in onsite.

Mid September – Onsite interview. Leading up I had a call with the recruiter to give me a heads up on what to expect and to ask questions. I was told that I could expect to be interviewed by 5 people. Onsite I ended up interviewing with 3 deployment strategists rather than 5.

Interview 1 – Asked lots of questions about my graduate studies, data science, and a deconstruction question. Had a chance to ask questions at the end.

Interview 2 – Questions about my background including my present job, and a deconstruction question. Questions about how I deal with people who are difficult at work, and how I won them over. Ended up having a really nice conversation with him about AI and the future of some aspects of data science, and how it intersects with science fiction. Had a chance to ask some questions at the end. We ended up going over time a little bit.

Interview 3 – Video interview with deployment strategists at another location. The audio was messed up at the beginning and we had to switch systems but we eventually started. Similar questions to the two others but also asked about any negative aspects to my resume which may not have been listed. I answered them honestly. Was asked a deconstruction/case question which was an actual case that the deployment strategist worked on. Then had a chance to ask some questions.

I was expecting two more people but was then told I was done. They gave me a T-Shirt and that they will get back to me in about 3-4 business days.

About 5 business days later I got the call that they wouldn’t be moving onto the next steps. I was given some general feedback and that my experiences don’t match up to Palantir’s needs at the moment. When I asked if I can apply again I was told to check in about 6-12 months. Regarding detailed feedback I was told that she didn’t have any materials with her but that I should reach out later on. I emailing the person who was handling my file to get my recruiters email address but no reply just yet.

General thoughts

Thorough application process and good communication but after looking at reviews on this site and others I was apprehensive. I kind of knew ahead of time that the success rate of those getting job offers or moving forward with the application process, from the first onsite interviews, seems low. I’m not too sure what they are looking for but as it has been echoed here before, I think they need zero red flags – you basically need a perfect interview. Ironically, when I am interviewing people a perfect interview, I generally take, as a red flag – no one is perfect and I take it as the person isn’t being completely honest. If I can identify any areas when I might have lacked it would have been on the 3rd interview. I didn’t really nail the case but being frank I’m not too sure who can nail a REAL case that was presented by a client in 20 minutes with a choppy video feed. I need a bit more time to flesh things out and to see all the moving parts. I also might have shot myself in the foot a little by being very honest with some of my shortcomings. But hey, they said to bring my real self and they will too. If that really is the case then perhaps we are not best for each other. I think Palantir is a great company doing great work, and it is obvious that they are not unsuccessful but based on my experiences, so far, it might be that they could be even more successful if they had another look at their hiring practices. I’m obviously a bit impartial but I thought I would have been a great fit for this role, and ironically the same week I got my rejection from Palantir I was given a job offer for an intelligence position for a major NATO government.

Would recommend you apply and interview but be cognizant of what you are walking into.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter, phone interview with a Deployment Strategist, then a ~4-hour onsite with a series of interviews. They paid for the airfare and hotel because I was coming from out of town. Overall a good experience.

Every interview was essentially the same. They were all about 30-45 minutes of behavioral questions, questions about my work history and current job, and general discussion about palantir and the issues it deals with. The questions in each were different, but it was essentially the same thing but with 5 different people.

In addition to the interviews there was an info session which gave some nice nitty-gritty detail about the software and what the job might look like practically speaking, as well as a candid lunch conversation with yet another Deployment Strategist.

Interview Questions

• If you were in charge of picking projects for Palantir, what problem would you try to solve?   Answer Question
    • What is something 90% of people disagree with you about?   1 Answer
    • What are some of the best and worse things about your current company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Company was very accommodating. Travel and hotel was covered. After about 4 phone calls over a few weeks, they asked me to come interview in person. I spent about 3 hours in their office. Overall it was a great experience. I should hear back in a few days on whether or not I got the job.