Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October and got contacted by a recruiter two weeks after that.

First screen was an online coding challenge on Hackerrank. It consisted of one 75-minute coding question. Would suggest practicing some questions on Hackerrank before attempting this.

Second round was a hour-long phone interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer. This was a typical phone screen consisting of 3 parts: First 10 minutes are for talking about your background and behavioral-type questions. Next, a technical question that takes 25-45 mins (sooner the better). Last part is for you to ask questions.

Got a call for onsite interviews in Palo Alto 3-4 days after the phone interview. Onsite consisted of a 3 technical interviews, a product demo and a lunch interview. The technical interviews involved coding and decomposition problems. Got invited for two more interviews after lunch which were conversational. These covered my prior experience and projects, Palantir's culture and the FDE role. Received an offer 4 days after the onsite.

Overall, it was a good experience. Palantir is a young company working on significant problems and everyone is super driven. The office seemed cool, also got a chance to meet one of the founders during office tours.

Tips:
1. Know the company. Their mission, culture, products, projects, founders, etc. Palantir still operates like a startup so culture fit is important.
2. Focus on the impact and outcomes of your projects.
3. Make your assumptions and approach very clear in interviews. The interviewers are smart and vagueness does not go unnoticed.
4. Ask good questions (This follows from the first point). This will help you engage with the interviewers and better understand what you're getting into.
5. Have fun and keep driving. Interview questions are tough for everyone and minor setbacks are normal.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I've got a phone interview through an employee referral. First had an informal char with recruiter, than I had a coding interview with an engineer. It started with a description of what he does at Palantir and continued with some questions like "Why Palantir". Then I had 2 algorithm questions. A bit easy. Then I received an invitation for onsite interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

First got in touch with a recruiter who pushed me towards the FDE roll which sounded fine. Did a technical phone screen which went well, and then a couple weeks later on-site interview with three rounds. This was generally enjoyable but largely decomposition related instead of pure technical questions. After getting through that I interviewed with a hiring manager and then did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Design a way to store relational informational for a complicated scenario nicely   Answer Question
    • What are your motivations in life/for working at Palantir?   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter first reached out to me by email to schedule a phone call, then afterwards the first phone call was with the recruiting agent. I was asked about my background, we went down my resume together. The recruiter was probably one of the most friendly people I've encountered while interviewing for tech companies, and gave a very thorough description of not only the company, but of the position itself. The recruiter was much more knowledgeable than I was expecting, and was very helpful in giving tips on how to prepare for the next steps.

In a follow-up technical phone interview, we shared a code editor, and after solving the technical challenge, we chatted briefly about basic computer science topics, and the interviewer also went in to detail on answering about his job there. Really nice guy as well!

I'm currently waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest challenge that you've faced, and are most proud of? What technology have you most enjoyed working with? Also, asked what challenges I faced in my previous jobs and how I overcame them.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Got contacted multiple times by their recruiters over a year.

Got interviewed by an interviewer who seemed lacking in social skills and uninterested with me and my background - he asked about things a few years ago rather than my most recent experience. Asked a coding exercise online where I got the right answer. Got rejected.

I do not believe I was fairly assessed and any outrage is mitigated by this experience being an indicator of the company in general and the relief that comes from having known sooner rather than later and saved myself a hiccup in my career.

I concur with other assessments here that their interview process is broken.

I wonder how correlated their interview process in general and their remaining workers / interviewers / gatekeepers are with the recent press coverage? Regardless, not finding out may be a good thing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and how you ended up where you are.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I got two rounds and rejected, first round is on campus, the second round is on hackerspace or something like that, coop coding. However, the 2nd round coding platform has some typing bug on my chrombook , that my cursor does not appear at where i can type, and thus it make the whole process messy.

Interview Questions

• 1. sort an array from 1-n (un-ordered) in linear time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Started out with a recruiter call followed by quick technical questions ( a few facts about data structures ), then 2 technical phone screens. Finally, had an onsite with 2 technical interviews, and 1 interview on UI design, got taken out to lunch with some full-time FDE's and a few other candidates, and saw a product demo and some Q&A.

Everyone was very friendly and professional, and results took about 1 week for each interview. Interviewers were willing to help out / talk through problems and didn't just sit back and watch.

Interview Questions

• Take in an integer and return its english word-format, eg 1 -> "one", -10,203 -> "negative ten thousand two hundred and three"   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online after visiting career fair at school, as well as an internal referral, got an e-mail from a recruiter the next week for a phone screen and online code test.

Forward Deployed Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

There was a phone screen, and about 4 Skype interviews with a shared coding environment.

They were super flexible! I started the interview process with them, took a job at another company, than continued exactly where I left off a year later. I was really impressed by this!

All interviews were relatively standard programming interviews, with an introduction, a question about my resume, a programming/system design question, and a chance to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly very similar to those found in Cracking the Coding Interview. If you haven't read this from end-to-end, stop reading these reviews, and go through it. Right now. Really.

Some interviewers also tested my experience with Linux/sysadmin-like tasks. There were also some system design questions, asking how I could iteratively create some dashboard, and what feedback I would want from the client on my initial design.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a slightly higher rate. They did not budge, highlighting how "unique" of an opportunity this was.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Gave resume at career fair - had an initial HR phone screen, which was behavioral questions mostly, with a quick CS question. This was followed by a 30-min interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer who saw that I did website backend coding and asked me to describe how to set up a server (what to think about in terms of set-up, features, etc.). I did not pass because I was not detailed enough in my description of how to set-up a server.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to set-up a server in a local mom and pop shop?   Answer Question