Palantir Technologies Forward Deployed Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

3.6

106 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Interview

First there was a call with the Recruiter, Then there was a phone Interview, and lastly there was an onsite Interview. The onsite interview includes a tour of the office, lunch, and a Palantir 101.

Interview Questions

• Asked me why I wanted to work for Palantir, there was one coding question, one system design question, and one in between.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Was referred to the company through a current employee. Within a few days a recruiter reached out to me and we scheduled a call. After an initial phone screen, and a technical phone screen a few days later, we arranged for onsite interviews in New York. These consisted of 3 back-to-back 45-minute interviews, each probing a different skill set (Coding, Algorithms, High-level Decomposition). Following this was a lunchtime presentation on the company, and a face-to-face conversation with my recruiter. I was told that they would reach out to me in approximately one week's time regarding next steps (interviewing with a hiring manager). All the questions were straightforward, and I felt plainly confident after leaving the building. I was surprised when they called the next week and told me that things hadn't worked out. I gather from the feedback that this was based on a fair reading of my resume (I've held 2 internships, one at Google and one at a startup, and have worked on a few interesting personal projects, but nothing that really matches up to the caliber of their top applicants; I also haven't done all too much with data). My advice to prospective applicants would be to prepare for interviews as you would any - they aren't uniquely brutal at Palantir. Much more advantageous would probably be to do some preliminary research on the company, find a particular area of focus that excites you, and if you haven't any relevant experience, try to come up with an independent project that explores the space. If you are in university, as a general piece of advice that extends beyond Palantir, research experience is worthwhile. Most broadly, stay active and engaged: this is a company that seems to be searching most essentially for programmers who have demonstrated a range of different competencies and independent curiosity.

Interview Questions

• The decomposition question was probably the most unusual of the 3, so it is the one that bears a little clarification. One of the points of feedback I received on the interview itself was that the interviewer felt at times compelled to guide the process forward. Reading about the breakdown of the decomposition interview online, my sense was that this was meant to simulate the collaboration process, so I had stopped my line of attack at a few points to discuss the approach with my interviewer as I would a friend or a colleague. This seems to have been the wrong approach: this interview may still be very much designed to gauge a capacity to work independently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and the process began with a chat about my interests. From there I had a technical phone interview and then an onsite interview after the phone interview went well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Very smooth process. A recruiter reached out to set up a brief phone interview to get an idea of what I'd be interested in. Then had one technical phone interview and an on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Got reached out to by HR, had a 20 minute informational interview, one coding interview. The interview seemed like he hated his job, and from what I've heard about Forward Deployed Engineers at Palantir, that's par for the course.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2017.

Interview

I passed the OA and got a phone interview. It's about connect4 coding problem. I solved it but I can hardly explain my codes in a clear mind. So I got a rejected from palantir.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Invited in for "expedited" onsite in New York City without a phone screen because of my strong background. Was given a PowerPoint presentation about their products. Then I had two 45 minute technical interviews. The first question I solved in O(nlogn) time, but my interviewer was not satisfied and told me to keep trying. Eventually he showed me his approach which was still O(nlogn). I tried to explain this to the interviewer, but he admitted that he did not fully comprehend my code because he was unfamiliar C++ and was not "a fan of object oriented programming". I found that strange. Especially since I specifically asked if I should use C++ and he said yes. Could have easily done the exact same solution in Java, Python, or Javascript. He told me he was a physics major with no computer science background; I was a computer science major at a top school. Found it odd to say the least, but gave me a good idea of the caliber of talent the company had to offer. The next interview got even more bizarre. It was essentially a design question about making an mobile app full stack to perform a main feature and the interviewer came off disinterested, cranky, and outright rude. Very unprofessional. Possibly a poorly executed stress test to see how one might handle clients. I felt that I aced both interviews. Therefore when they ended my day after just two interviews I was quite surprised and at that point it was clear I was not going to receive an offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews (one behavioral talk with a recruiter and an online coding challenge). Then, they took me for an onsite interview (3 algorithms questions, a problem decomposition, and a talk with a hiring manager). The process is fairly well-organized and pretty straightforward if you know your algorithms.

Interview Questions

• My problem decomp was to build Asteroids.   1 Answer
    • How do you associate bitcoin wallets with people given transaction streams?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October and got contacted by a recruiter two weeks after that.

First screen was an online coding challenge on Hackerrank. It consisted of one 75-minute coding question. Would suggest practicing some questions on Hackerrank before attempting this.

Second round was a hour-long phone interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer. This was a typical phone screen consisting of 3 parts: First 10 minutes are for talking about your background and behavioral-type questions. Next, a technical question that takes 25-45 mins (sooner the better). Last part is for you to ask questions.

Got a call for onsite interviews in Palo Alto 3-4 days after the phone interview. Onsite consisted of a 3 technical interviews, a product demo and a lunch interview. The technical interviews involved coding and decomposition problems. Got invited for two more interviews after lunch which were conversational. These covered my prior experience and projects, Palantir's culture and the FDE role. Received an offer 4 days after the onsite.

Overall, it was a good experience. Palantir is a young company working on significant problems and everyone is super driven. The office seemed cool, also got a chance to meet one of the founders during office tours.

Tips:
    1. Know the company. Their mission, culture, products, projects, founders, etc. Palantir still operates like a startup so culture fit is important.
    2. Focus on the impact and outcomes of your projects.
    3. Make your assumptions and approach very clear in interviews. The interviewers are smart and vagueness does not go unnoticed.
    4. Ask good questions (This follows from the first point). This will help you engage with the interviewers and better understand what you're getting into.
    5. Have fun and keep driving. Interview questions are tough for everyone and minor setbacks are normal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I've got a phone interview through an employee referral. First had an informal char with recruiter, than I had a coding interview with an engineer. It started with a description of what he does at Palantir and continued with some questions like "Why Palantir". Then I had 2 algorithm questions. A bit easy. Then I received an invitation for onsite interview.