Palantir Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 11, 2017

3.3

Deployment Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, setup a phone interview which lasted about 45 minutes, and interviewed at the NY office a week later. Interviews seemed to go very well, enjoyed working through some of the open ended questions (e.g. given X type of data how would you do Y?). Overall interesting and fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical questions about how to utilize certain data sets to accomplish a task. Some basic behavioral like hardest project you've worked on, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in January 2017.

Interview

I applied during december and they replied me a week after. They were very responsive to my email. I was on finals week during that time and I requested an extension. Upon finishing coding challenge, they rejected me. :(

Deployment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

A series of phone screens (first HR, then an Employee) followed by an in person interview with a deployment strategist. All individuals were courteous and this was a positive experience. All interviewers asks very targeted behavioral questions and prepping for this interview would be difficult. It's apparent Palantir has a very specific type of person they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions: "Tell me about yourself..."   Answer Question

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me by email after I applied online for the internship few weeks earlier. We had a phone interview that took 1h and she was very polite and answered all my questions. The second interview was a Google Hangouts with a Designer. He was also very polite and asked me to explain my design process of one project during the interview. He also gave me a feedback and answered all my questions. I didn't get an offer, but it was a really good experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Can you tell me about your design process? What is Palantir?   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

Spoke with 3 people over the phone, two were TPMs. Had an on-site interview and spoke with 3 more TPMs. Finally, I flew to headquarters and spoke with 3 hiring managers.

Deployment Strategist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out and had a 30 minute phone call. Next spoke to someone actually in the role for a 30 minute phone call. At all points of the process, interviewers were incredibly rude and disinterested

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred by a friend, then given a coding challenge which I did well but not perfect in.

Then there was a phone call with a brief conversation (why Palantir, what are you looking for in an internship, etc.) with a coding challenge. Heard back a few days later to schedule an on-site interview in a few weeks.

During the on-site, I had 3 technical interviews in the morning. Two technical and one decomposition (see their site for what that is). Then they had a presentation called "Palantir 101" to describe what the company does. After we were supposed to have lunch with an engineer, but that turned into another decomposition.

After that, I was told I made it to the "next round", though I assume the decision was made during Palantir 101 and the "next round" was also the decomposition I just did. Had an interview with the Hiring Manager that afternoon.

Went home after that and got an answer within the next week.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree/caching/class questions. Nothing too hard but the questions all had a right answer and an extra-mile answer. Like I said, see their website for what a decomposition is.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Worst recruiting process ever.

Applied through on campus. Recruiter contacted me. I did the phone screen. Recruiter did not get back till a week after the interview, until I emailed him. Recruiter said interview went well and wanted to bring me onsite. However, since I had competing offer deadlines and Palantir was aggressively conducting interviews, they couldn't schedule an onsite until after my deadlines. And so he suggested doing 3 Skype interviews in place of the three onsite interviews I would've had in NY.

However, instead of trying to schedule all three of them back to back or at least on consecutive days, he only scheduled one and decided he would schedule the rest after seeing how this one went. Furthermore, they schedule the interview on the day that was my last choice. On the day of my scheduled interview Palantir's coordinator emails me back and says that the interviewer couldn't make it and they had to reschedule. So they reschedule the first Skype interview, 2 weeks later. I'd pushed my interview deadlines to accommodate Palantir's busy schedule, however they treated my deadlines with little to no respect.

When I'd emailed them and asked since I'd already extended my interview why an onsite wouldn't be possible in order to save time, the recruiter called me up and said he wanted to cancel my scheduled interview (again on the day of the interview) because Palantir apparently tried to be accommodating and I was being pushy.

This has been the worst interview process I have ever experienced. I'd initially heard a lot of bad things about Palantir's interview process but never thought I'd experience it myself.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions I had was a coding question related to real world problems they had which was kind of cool   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview, and then an onsite (3 interviews + demo).
    My main recruiter essentially didn't contact me aside from scheduling. I had another recruiter ask for a phone call with me as a follow-up to my phone interview, which was kind of random as my original recruiter didn't say anything about this. It went well but had to be rescheduled twice, once without notice (where I was only told the day after).
    I was not given any details about the onsite prior to getting there except the FAQ and some other documents, and the time I would be starting. The FAQ said my recruiter would contact me prior to the onsite with more information regarding the day, but they never did. I was also left in the interview room with no idea of when my interviewer would get there or when my next interview would start. The interviewers were pleasant for the most part, although felt really rushed and on a time crunch. They all seemed to be running late though. I wasn't given an office tour, with the exception of here's the dining area and the rooms are all named after a theme. My recruiter didn't seem to enjoy my presence. The demo was pretty good though, I learned a lot more about the company and the answers the presenter had to the questions asked seemed genuine.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October and got contacted by a recruiter two weeks after that.

First screen was an online coding challenge on Hackerrank. It consisted of one 75-minute coding question. Would suggest practicing some questions on Hackerrank before attempting this.

Second round was a hour-long phone interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer. This was a typical phone screen consisting of 3 parts: First 10 minutes are for talking about your background and behavioral-type questions. Next, a technical question that takes 25-45 mins (sooner the better). Last part is for you to ask questions.

Got a call for onsite interviews in Palo Alto 3-4 days after the phone interview. Onsite consisted of a 3 technical interviews, a product demo and a lunch interview. The technical interviews involved coding and decomposition problems. Got invited for two more interviews after lunch which were conversational. These covered my prior experience and projects, Palantir's culture and the FDE role. Received an offer 4 days after the onsite.

Overall, it was a good experience. Palantir is a young company working on significant problems and everyone is super driven. The office seemed cool, also got a chance to meet one of the founders during office tours.

Tips:
    1. Know the company. Their mission, culture, products, projects, founders, etc. Palantir still operates like a startup so culture fit is important.
    2. Focus on the impact and outcomes of your projects.
    3. Make your assumptions and approach very clear in interviews. The interviewers are smart and vagueness does not go unnoticed.
    4. Ask good questions (This follows from the first point). This will help you engage with the interviewers and better understand what you're getting into.
    5. Have fun and keep driving. Interview questions are tough for everyone and minor setbacks are normal.