Palantir Technologies Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

3.4

197 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was referred by an employee to the job and they scheduled a phone call to learn more about my background. The interviewer was very friendly and easy going. She mainly asked about my experience in the field and whether I would be ready for the position.

Interview Questions

• What was your typical work load?   Answer Question
    • How did you handle issues that arose when trying to schedule interviews?   Answer Question
    • What was a positive or negative review that you received during your time at your position?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Went down for an on-site for software development and they immediately hinted they aren't looking for junior SEs. So I was suspicious from the get go. Had a weird culture vibe going on too where they smothered the guy that was there from the NSA and kinda ignored the others. Questions asked I felt measured very little. They try to ask cute real world questions and they didn't really specify that my algortihms complexity wasn't adequate before I dove into implementation so i didn't have time to optimize it at the end. This is coming from someone who did very well on Amazon Google and Facebook interviews. They really try to throw you off.

Then they told me my coding wasnt up to snuff as they have a really high bar. So they asked me if I wanted to interview for the deployment strategist interview but that it may involve flying down for a few more on-site. They didn't seem to care I'd already had to fly halfway across the world to get there and that they had info on my already. So I did a screen with them for that one but wasnt interested and that was it. Don't bother interviewing here look at top tech companies first they treat young people with much more respect and regard and they don't mess around and waste your time. Terrible experience.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I suggest do not agree to travel to Palo Alto for their On site Interview (If you reside in East coast like me) , because even though you give your 100% with 90% answering of all technical questions, they might still end up rejecting you like they did in my case stating that you are not Technically savy, it almost seemed like they make you travel all the way to Palo Alto just for the fun of it and not really interested in hiring.

Interview Questions

• 1). What is the ethertype for ARP, 2). What are the fields in an IP Header other than Src/Dst IP   Answer Question

Product Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I got in contact with one of their recruiters who asked me basic questions about myself and what I wanted out of the company and explained the various roles. I then completed a coding challenge in a language of my choice. A couple weeks later I interviewed on the phone with a current employee in the position I was interviewing for, the interview consisted of basic interview questions and a support technical question where I role-played what the job basically entails. I was given a scenario and attempted to solve the issue for the client. A week later I did a similar interview with the head of the department. Half a week later I received a standard rejection email.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The hiring process for interns is the same as for full-time engineers. After an initial auto-graded coding challenge on hackerrank, they gave me a phone screen, then a phone coding interview. At the end of the phone coding interview, they immediately told me they were going to recommend me for an on-site. It took less than two weeks to go through the process up until here.

The on-site was pretty standard: demos, three coding interviews, lunch, more demos. At the end, they had me interview with the hiring manager, which I thought was a good sign. In fact, I felt like I did quite well all day -- I solved every problem I was given, and I thought I did a decent job of explaining my thought process. They contacted me after a week and a half to say they weren't going to make an offer. Not real sure what went wrong, but the interview experience itself was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The decomposition problem was to sketch out an implementation of Asteroids.   Answer Question

FDE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Very professional. Good questions during the interview. Was a bit longer and more pretentious than needed because they like to shroud themselves with a shroud of mystery and mythology. The interview with a co-founder was a very good surprise.

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

This was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. The recruiting team is brilliant - They know exactly what they are looking for in candidates and they make the hiring process incredibly smooth.

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October and got contacted by a recruiter two weeks after that.

First screen was an online coding challenge on Hackerrank. It consisted of one 75-minute coding question. Would suggest practicing some questions on Hackerrank before attempting this.

Second round was a hour-long phone interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer. This was a typical phone screen consisting of 3 parts: First 10 minutes are for talking about your background and behavioral-type questions. Next, a technical question that takes 25-45 mins (sooner the better). Last part is for you to ask questions.

Got a call for onsite interviews in Palo Alto 3-4 days after the phone interview. Onsite consisted of a 3 technical interviews, a product demo and a lunch interview. The technical interviews involved coding and decomposition problems. Got invited for two more interviews after lunch which were conversational. These covered my prior experience and projects, Palantir's culture and the FDE role. Received an offer 4 days after the onsite.

Overall, it was a good experience. Palantir is a young company working on significant problems and everyone is super driven. The office seemed cool, also got a chance to meet one of the founders during office tours.

Tips:
    1. Know the company. Their mission, culture, products, projects, founders, etc. Palantir still operates like a startup so culture fit is important.
    2. Focus on the impact and outcomes of your projects.
    3. Make your assumptions and approach very clear in interviews. The interviewers are smart and vagueness does not go unnoticed.
    4. Ask good questions (This follows from the first point). This will help you engage with the interviewers and better understand what you're getting into.
    5. Have fun and keep driving. Interview questions are tough for everyone and minor setbacks are normal.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

At the request of a friend, sent in an application for a TPM position. Heard back three days later about scheduling an interview. Replied within an hour to set up a time to talk, but had to wait 4 days to hear back from the interviewer, which was not a great start. Eventually he got back to me and we agreed a date a week later.

The interview itself contained typical questions, but the interviewer could not have been less interested in my answers, which made the process painful. Gave the same generic reply to everything I said, and it was up to me to bring up the one issue of relevance during the interview. Overall, it made the already awkward process of a phone interview even more tiresome.

Was told I'd hear back in a few days, ended up waiting almost two weeks. That type of disorganization seems to be run of the mill for the HR department.

If you are interviewing here, expect the process to drag on for a bit.

Interview Questions

• Name a process at a previous job that you created or altered   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online via Palantir's careers website. I was contacted one business day later requesting an interview. The recruiter I was in contact with said a different recruiter would conduct the interview (a phone screen) in a few days. The phone interview lasted for 35 minutes, and was really difficult. The interviewer asked a lot of very negative questions (below) and asked random questions about my LinkedIn that didn't apply to the job.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you really failed?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when you’ve found it difficult to work with someone.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when it was really stressful at work…   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • What work are you most proud of / what is your most proud accomplishment?   Answer Question