Palantir Technologies Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Palantir Technologies Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The hiring process for interns is the same as for full-time engineers. After an initial auto-graded coding challenge on hackerrank, they gave me a phone screen, then a phone coding interview. At the end of the phone coding interview, they immediately told me they were going to recommend me for an on-site. It took less than two weeks to go through the process up until here.

The on-site was pretty standard: demos, three coding interviews, lunch, more demos. At the end, they had me interview with the hiring manager, which I thought was a good sign. In fact, I felt like I did quite well all day -- I solved every problem I was given, and I thought I did a decent job of explaining my thought process. They contacted me after a week and a half to say they weren't going to make an offer. Not real sure what went wrong, but the interview experience itself was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The decomposition problem was to sketch out an implementation of Asteroids.   Answer Question

Forward Deployed Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online in October and got contacted by a recruiter two weeks after that.

First screen was an online coding challenge on Hackerrank. It consisted of one 75-minute coding question. Would suggest practicing some questions on Hackerrank before attempting this.

Second round was a hour-long phone interview with a Forward Deployed Engineer. This was a typical phone screen consisting of 3 parts: First 10 minutes are for talking about your background and behavioral-type questions. Next, a technical question that takes 25-45 mins (sooner the better). Last part is for you to ask questions.

Got a call for onsite interviews in Palo Alto 3-4 days after the phone interview. Onsite consisted of a 3 technical interviews, a product demo and a lunch interview. The technical interviews involved coding and decomposition problems. Got invited for two more interviews after lunch which were conversational. These covered my prior experience and projects, Palantir's culture and the FDE role. Received an offer 4 days after the onsite.

Overall, it was a good experience. Palantir is a young company working on significant problems and everyone is super driven. The office seemed cool, also got a chance to meet one of the founders during office tours.

Tips:
    1. Know the company. Their mission, culture, products, projects, founders, etc. Palantir still operates like a startup so culture fit is important.
    2. Focus on the impact and outcomes of your projects.
    3. Make your assumptions and approach very clear in interviews. The interviewers are smart and vagueness does not go unnoticed.
    4. Ask good questions (This follows from the first point). This will help you engage with the interviewers and better understand what you're getting into.
    5. Have fun and keep driving. Interview questions are tough for everyone and minor setbacks are normal.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

At the request of a friend, sent in an application for a TPM position. Heard back three days later about scheduling an interview. Replied within an hour to set up a time to talk, but had to wait 4 days to hear back from the interviewer, which was not a great start. Eventually he got back to me and we agreed a date a week later.

The interview itself contained typical questions, but the interviewer could not have been less interested in my answers, which made the process painful. Gave the same generic reply to everything I said, and it was up to me to bring up the one issue of relevance during the interview. Overall, it made the already awkward process of a phone interview even more tiresome.

Was told I'd hear back in a few days, ended up waiting almost two weeks. That type of disorganization seems to be run of the mill for the HR department.

If you are interviewing here, expect the process to drag on for a bit.

Interview Questions

• Name a process at a previous job that you created or altered   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online via Palantir's careers website. I was contacted one business day later requesting an interview. The recruiter I was in contact with said a different recruiter would conduct the interview (a phone screen) in a few days. The phone interview lasted for 35 minutes, and was really difficult. The interviewer asked a lot of very negative questions (below) and asked random questions about my LinkedIn that didn't apply to the job.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you really failed?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when you’ve found it difficult to work with someone.   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time when it was really stressful at work…   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • What work are you most proud of / what is your most proud accomplishment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I was referred from a friend for a software engineering role. The recruiter talked to me and first set me up for a phone interview. That was a single coding question through coderpad. Once I completed and passed that, I was invited for an on-site interview. That consisted of three coding interviews: two of them were algorithmic questions, one was system/object-oriented design. I received the offer a week afterwards.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First phone screen was with a more senior member of the team which was pretty straightforward and got me really interested in the role. Next was with the team lead. After the 4th reschedule we were able to connect and speak for 10 minutes. Again straightforward chat with relevant questions. Next were in-persons. Went into the Palo Alto office for 5 in-persons. Met different members of the team who all knew their stuff but had varying degrees of interest in being there. The onsite process was very organized. Works like a well oiled machine so kudos there.

A few days later(today) received a canned email response stating they enjoyed getting to know me but didnt have a position that matched my qualifications at this time. After the effort and patience that went into all of the reschedules and the in-persons I think that at least one of the recruiters(there were 3) I worked with could of sent a personal email letting me know. The canned email didnt even function correctly and said:

"We want to thank you for taking the time to consider Palantir and interview with us for the {!Application__c.Position__c} position."

Experience as a whole was fine and definitely like the idea of what the company as a whole was doing but not putting even the slightest effort or care into the rejection certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• None were particularly hard and were relevant to the role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was well organized. They make effort to make you feel comfortable.

Interviewers were nice and to the point.The questions were very complex and open ended. No wonder about their reputation of having tough interviews in the valley. I might get a reject but I know I messed up few basic things.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I completed a phone screen, multiple in person interviews, and a final interview with the founder. He asked me why I wanted to work there and I felt I gave a positive reply. Apparently it wasn't good enough. Is there a secret code word or answer for this question? That was the only question he asked me. I did great on my other interviews. P.S. They said he likes cats when I interviewed maybe I should I brought mine to the interview :).

Also, it seems this exact position was posted for many months before and after I interviewed... I'm not sure if it was a real opening....

Software Engineer, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied then received a Coding challenge: The challenge was probably the most difficult challenge I've received from any company. I was not expecting the degree of difficulty so I did not prepare as much as I should have. These guys have a very high standard and it shows. Still overall a good humbling experience.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you are working for a small bank, attempting to analyze fraudulent credit card transactions.

You are given a list of strings describing credit card transactions for a single day. All strings are pipe‐delimited and will take the form of "<person name>|<integer whole dollar amount>|<location>|<integer time in minutes since 00:00>". The list is sorted in ascending order by time.

Your job is to return a list of people's names whose accounts reflect suspicious activity. A person's account reflects suspicious activity if you see of the following:
      1. A transaction spending more than $3000
      2. A transaction for which the next transaction for the same person differs in location, and is less than an hour later

The list you return should be ordered by when the first suspicious was detected. For the second type of fraud, consider the "first suspicious activity" to be the earlier of the two transactions.

You have to complete the function getSuspiciousActivity to return the list of suspicious activities. The list you return should contain the person names as they appeared in the input. Please note that the first line of the input is the number of transactions in the array.

Sample Input 1:

Shilpa
      Matt
      Jay

Explanation
      Krasi is first because she has exhibited amount fraud before any other account exhibited either types of fraud (she then later also committed location fraud, but this doesn't matter). Shilpa is second, having committed location fraud where the first transaction took place before either of Matt or Jay's amount fraud. Matt and Jay both exhibited amount fraud, but Matt's fraud was recorded before Jay's. Tom is not on this list because he did not commit either type of fraud.
      2 Answers

Deployment Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I was called by their recruiter for a very first screening. She asked a few very broad questions that sounded like she's trying to generally judge whether I'm even in the ballpark of what they're looking for.

Interview Questions

• If you could solve any problem with data, what would it be?   1 Answer