Palantir Technologies Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 8, 2017

3.4

167 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was very standard and consisted of a phone screen with the recruiter and then an online coding test with an engineer. Recruiter was very thorough and eager to know more about my background. Recruiter was also very knowledgeable about the technology and open about Palantir and the position. The interviewer straight-up admitted they were doing back-to-back interviews because "it's the season," so it was very impersonal from the start. The denial was also an automated email, which is pretty disrespectful of my time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Cambridge, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a call from HR followed by a call from an engineer. The call with the engineer included one medium difficulty question from Hackerrank. I got an email saying I didn't pass a few days later.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Standard enough process. Initial phone screen followed by phone technical interview. The technical interview wasn't easy, and I expect they only take the best. Should have prepared a bit more probably

Software Engineer () Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Received an email, did a behavioral interview and then a technical interview. Worker basically said she didn't like working there during the interview. The technical interview was over the phone, where they gave very basic programming questions but struggled to communicate the actual problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Quick call with recruiter. Then went to a coding challenge. Coding challenge was not hard. It was the How to catch and insider trader. Look it up. It's on GitHub. .

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First there is a phone screen. Then I was invited to interview on site in Palo Alto. I was asked some technical questions during the interviews. They were not very difficult questions. They provided lunch as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Steps 1 and 2 were a typical online coding challenge and a tech phone screen.

3. On-Site Interviews Part 1
    - Informal 1-on-1 chat with a current engineer, which they called the "Palantir 1 on 1."
    - 1st coding interview. Standard coding interview with a team lead engineer. We talked about a backgrounds a bit, he actually asked me to go into a fair amount of detail about my current work and I even ended up drawing a diagram on the whiteboard to explain some system design stuff I ended up talking about. Then he asked me an easy coding question.
    - 2nd coding interview. Less background, went into the coding problem fairly quickly. The interviewer was only a couple years out of college and seemed a bit inexperienced technically. When talking about runtimes I actually corrected the interviewer about some python API runtimes, which the interviewer seemed to appreciate and seemed to regard as a positive.
    - 3rd coding interview. This was stated to be a "decomp" (decomposition) interview, which is basically Palantir's version of the design interview, but was essentially no different from a regular coding interview. The question itself was technically easy
    - Informal lunch chat. My host for this seemed pretty distracted and was on her phone a lot and even interrupted to take a few phone calls in the middle.
    - 1-on-1 Product demo. It essentially turned into another informal 1-on-1 chat.

4. On-Site Interviews Part 2

I was invited to more on-site interviews, which wasn't a surprise. I was surprised however when the recruiter said that they wanted me to do one more coding interview (in addition to the hiring manager interview) because some of the feedback indicated that my coding was a bit slow. Fine, but I'm not sure how much faster they expect you to code if they also want you to properly explain everything you're doing.

- Another informal warmup chat to start, with a team lead engineer
    - The coding interview. Jumped straight into the question.
    - Hiring manager interview. First half of this was going through my resume and asking about my background. I did not major in CS in college, so they really wanted to understand my switch from physics to CS, my previous job, etc. They were also very focused on understanding why I wanted to join Palantir. The second half was another decomp question, this time no actual coding, but just talking about the problem on the board with rough diagrams.

The recruiter called me a couple days later to tell me that all the feedback was "very positive" and that my coding, culture fit, behavioral questions, motivation for joining Palantir, etc. were all extremely positive. However, this is when stuff started to get weird for me. Instead of proceeding with an offer (which is what I had been led to believe would happen after the 2nd round of on-site interviews), the recruiter asked me if I were interested in a Forward Deployed Software Engineer role instead. This role requires lots of travel directly into client offices, and is essentially just being a consultant. I had been very clear since the very first recruiter call (right after the online coding challenge, but before the tech phone screen) that I was not interested in this position and that travel was a big no for me. At that time, they had clearly understood my desire and said that I would be proceeding with interviews in consideration for the regular Software Engineer role. So I was surprised that they seemed to be trying to do a bait-and-switch for the FDSE role instead at this late stage. I pushed back--I asked if this was a choice or if it was being forced onto me--and the recruiter backed off a bit, although she still said they would have to talk more about it. Another review here on glassdoor has said that Palantir is desperate for people to fill the FDSE role, since it doesn't seem to be very popular. I really felt this when the recruiter tried to gauge my interest for the FDSE role.

A couple of days later the recruiter gets back to me and says that they would like me to do yet another interview, this time with a Team Lead Software Engineer so gauge my fit for the regular Software Engineer role. At this point I am starting to get uncomfortable flags in my head. I had already talked to two Team Lead Software Engineers in my interviews--why weren't they able to get the feedback they wanted from those guys?

Continued in "interview questions" section

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Entirely automated. The entire process was throwing up red flags to me. I received an email from a "person" expressing their interest in me within a day of me applying. It included all of the basic information you would expect from a recruiter as well as a notice that I would be receiving another e-mail from HackerRank to do a code challenge. Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

I responded to the email with my gratitude as well as some information about me and a few questions. I never received a reply. I then proceeded to complete the HackerRank challenge (which I partially failed but fixed after the time limit with the intention of at least offering a better solution afterwards if they were interested) and received an email from a generic non-monitored Palantir HR account that they were no longer considering me.

After the whole process, I'm fairly certain that the original response I received was from an automated system pretending to be a real person that also automatically rejects any applicants that can't complete the challenge fully. I didn't speak to a single person, did not "accept" their request for me to take the HackerRank challenge (it reached my inbox at the same time as the original response). I imagine it would be a cake walk to scan resumes for key buzzwords and auto reply to certain applicants with this first step. Not a bad way to simply churn through tons of applicants, but the lack of transparency is frightening.

Interview Questions

• Generic single question HackerRank challenge. Search"Palantir HackerRank" to find a list of them/possible implementations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Went down for an on-site for software development and they immediately hinted they aren't looking for junior SEs. So I was suspicious from the get go. Had a weird culture vibe going on too where they smothered the guy that was there from the NSA and kinda ignored the others. Questions asked I felt measured very little. They try to ask cute real world questions and they didn't really specify that my algortihms complexity wasn't adequate before I dove into implementation so i didn't have time to optimize it at the end. This is coming from someone who did very well on Amazon Google and Facebook interviews. They really try to throw you off.

Then they told me my coding wasnt up to snuff as they have a really high bar. So they asked me if I wanted to interview for the deployment strategist interview but that it may involve flying down for a few more on-site. They didn't seem to care I'd already had to fly halfway across the world to get there and that they had info on my already. So I did a screen with them for that one but wasnt interested and that was it. Don't bother interviewing here look at top tech companies first they treat young people with much more respect and regard and they don't mess around and waste your time. Terrible experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a link to complete the coding challenge "Catching an Insider Trader" which is pretty easy. After completing this challenge I got a email to set up a phone interview with a HR, where she asked me about my previous experiences and why I want to join Palantir.

The HR didn't even seem interested in taking the interview and called me 14 minutes after the scheduled time and she kept yawning during the whole interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you know about Palantir?
      2. Previous experience?