Palo Alto Networks Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Palo Alto Networks Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Palo Alto Networks

3.1

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Interview

5 separate interviews. 1 with recruiter, 1 with hr, 1 with 6 engineers in groups of 2 (3hours), 1 with upper management, 1 with first line supervisor and trainer. Finally hired on contract because I showed enough motivation and new some fundamental networking.

Interview Questions

• describe NAT, ssl, ipsec, ospf, and route tables.   2 Answers

Negotiation

They put me in a 6 month training program since I wasn't at the tier 1 level. 30.00/hour contract to hire until I cross over.

Other Interview Reviews for Palo Alto Networks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The Palo Alto Recruiter initially contacted me via linkedin. They were very proactive and engaged initially, however after the second round interview there was a dramatic change. I ended up having to call the recruiter in California to remind him that we needed to schedule the third round interview. The third round interview was 3-4hrs I took off work on a Friday, which resulted in ZERO feedback. After a week I reached out to the recruiter via email and a phone call, neither of which were answered. This was one of the most unprofessional interviewing processes I've experienced. I can only assume they weren't interested in extending an offer, as they didn't have the courtesy to let me know either way. I don't recommend wasting your time interviewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via Linkedin by a recruiter about a technical support engineer position with no firewall experience required. After successfully passing two phone screenings, I was called for an onsite meeting. Interview lasted 3 hours and I met with 2 engineers for 45 minutes, then another 2 engineers for an additional 45 minutes, then finally two members from the management team. The first two engineers where arrogant, rude and smirked at each other when I didnt know the answer to a question. The second round of engineers were very professional as well as the two onsite managers at the end of the interview. Two days later I received an email from the manager wanting to discuss the position further... and I'm thinking ' an offer is coming....' Well, no offer... and they wanted to hire me as a contractor and then if an actual position is available I could try to get on full time, but no guarantees. The reason I'm giving this a thumbs down is only because of the immature behavior of the first two engineers... everyone else was fine.

Interview Questions

• Describe the path a packet takes when accessing google.com?
      How many bytes are in a TCP handshake?
      Name the OSI layers
      What is VTP
      What is Portfast
      Make sure you know all the flag fields in wireshark for a ping (ICMP)
      Name all the fields in a TCP frame
      What are the two types of DNS
      Describe the process of a client obtaining an ip address from DHCP server
      Know how IPSEC works and be able to describe the basics
      If users are reporting slowness on a server, what should I look for in a wireshark capture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very friendly and courteous. Well planned. There was a last minute interviewer change due to pressing matters involving original interviewer. Technical questions were moderately difficult but I was not prepared to answer some questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

The process took about three weeks since the day I applied online. There were 2 phone interviews and the third one onsite. Onsite Interview was intense; however, interviewers were nice and patient.

Interview Questions

• ARP, TCP handshake, PING, traceroute, IPsec, https handshake, STP, stateful firewall   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter sent me message through LinkedIn and after replying he called in and asked some general questions and some simple network question, he was impressed by my quick answers, one week later a manager called me and again asked some basic questions about where I am working now and why I'm willing to leave and again some simple technical questions, 1 week later they scheduled 3 rounds interviews

Interview Questions

• 2 technicals and 1 with managers, I answered most of the technical questions, more scenario base and almost I solved them with right approaches as all interviewers looked satisfied by my responses and then managers asked me some, general questions about what do you yourself in next 5 years, why this company and so on, but after 1 day they responded that we found another candidate that matches more with this position (they usually contacted me 2-3 days after each interview) but it seems it was just an excuse and all the process was for hiring someone elses because they canceled scheduled onsite interview of another colleague so they just held mine because they needed enough interviews   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Very well done. This was one of the most comfortable interviews I have had. Everyone was friendly and put me at ease. They asked relevant technical questions and the multiple interviews flowed seamlessly. They did not ask any outlandish questions like what would be your most favorite vacation.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted via LinkedIn. There was initial interview by recruiter, which was the phone screening. Next interview was telephonic and it was with Hiring manager. Then on site was within a week. Offer came quickly, within 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Plano, TX) in February 2018.

Interview

There was 2 phone interviews, one with the technical hiring rep and one with two engineers. After passing those there were two more onsite interviews. The phone interview was pretty basic/easy. The in person interview was brutal. DHCP in depth and troubleshooting networking issues with little information provided. I really feel that this was just my interview, but that they could ask these types of questions for essentially any networking protocol.

Interview Questions

• What is the source IP of an end user node requesting a DHCP packet. What are the 4 types of DHCP packets.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palo Alto Networks (Plano, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

3 interviews (2 phone interviews and 1 onsite), the process took ~ 3 weeks, average technical difficulty. you need CCNA knowledge level if you are applying for T2 position.
    Nice building and nice people, heavy work load.