Parsons the New School for Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Parsons the New School for Design Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.3

Academic Advisor Interview

Application

I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design in September 2016.

Interview

First, phone call to confirm my interest, salary range, and why I wanted the job. Second, in-person interview with would-be supervisor. Third, another in-person interview with supervisor plus other people.

Interview Questions

• Professional history, how would my colleagues describe me, one time I dropped the ball, three characteristics that make a great academic advisor, personal/professional accomplishments I'm especially proud of, why I'm the ideal candidate, how do I feel about change...   Answer Question

MFA In Photography Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

It was chill relaxing but you definitely have to prepare for the potential questions being asked. There is no need to feel nervous but you have to clear on your purpose to apply.There were four professors throughout the whole interview process. They take turns to ask questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a phone screening and was told the position would offer 41K. Was called for an in person interview with 3 staff members from different disciplines. The interview went smoothly. They were very friendly and offered me the position within 3 weeks. Although I declined the position, I bargained for a few thousands more and they accepted.

Interview Questions

• A time when you dropped the ball, why are you interested in this position, if a student had to wait for a decision how would you work with the student, what qualities do you have that make you a good advisor, how do you establish relationships with other departments, what are your 5 to 10 year goals.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was friendly. I came well prepared, and we had a good conversation. We talked about the sections I would be supervising, and the syllabi. We also talked about former employees who had held the position. I would say the interview was casual. I never heard back from them, which I consider to be unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. I was simply asked whether I would be willing to do the job, and what my experience was.   1 Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred by a friend and therefore somehow only met with the person who became my supervisor. It was a good interview but the job description seemed a bit less clear than it was on paper.

Interview Questions

• How would you market our program to people outside of the University?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little room for negotiating the salary because of salary grade caps and budget limits.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

I was recommended for a teaching position by a colleague, submitted my CV, and was subsequently called in for an interview. At the "interview," I was offered a position and a standard remuneration package. It seemed like they had already decided they wanted me before I got there.

Part-Time Faculty Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

One interview with the Dean of SDS, and 2 other senior faculty members. The interview went on for about 45 min. I briefly explained 2 projects from my portfolio, and the conversation was quite casual.

Interview Questions

• Could you tell us a little about your previous teaching experience?   1 Answer

Videographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Met with the dean of the Fashion School, and began work the next day. It was for a high profile project, so timelines were tight. My predecessor had to leave abruptly, so they were in a crunch to maintain schedule. The producer for the project was a bit inexperienced, so that added to the chaos of the project, as is the case with any videography work. Organization and scheduling is a key part of the process.

Interview Questions

• Why am I attracted to videography?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Had a total of 3 interviews. The first was a phone screening with HR. The second was a group interview with a hiring committee. The third and final interview was with my immediate supervisor and the director.

Interview Questions

• Questions were about my advising philosophy, how I prioritized my workload, what I knew about the university, why I wanted the position, examples of times I solved problems with students.   Answer Question

Activities Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Parsons the New School for Design (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

The process was very informal, two different people interviewed me, and they found me through another employee at the school.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was a very low paying job. (The year is off it only let me put in 2008... the year was earlier - like 1997)