Pathway Genomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Pathway Genomics

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process so far was handled in a very professional manner.
    I interviewed with both a department manager and human resources. So far, everyone I have come in contact with at Pathway Genomics has been very professional.
    I initially had a telephone screen and then was asked to come in for an in person interview.
    I have a second interview scheduled next week.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe how my most recent experience at (my current company) would allow me to contribute to Pathway.
      They also asked me job specific questions based on the position I was being interviewed for (Software Engineer).   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics.

Interview

Very polite people. Be prepared to answer hundreds of questions on OOP, PHP, SQL, Javascript, jQuery, CSS, and frameworks on both client and server side. It's an intensive test. Not sure if they give much credit to what you have accomplished, or can accomplish, or your problem solving abilities. They're quick in making a decision.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to work as a Senior Software Engineer with a specific language on PHP. Then a more senior level called me for an interview. I was presented by the recruiter as a 92k salary and they did fix my resume for me.

Interview Questions

• Describe to them in real world the use of Parent Class and Child Class   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics.

Interview

I liked everyone I met in engineering and the team seemed friendly, although they were obviously frustrated, but my interview with the team went well. But towards the end they went and brought in the CBO, and that is where things took a turn down crazy street. She wanted to act smart, so she tried asking technical questions, but it was very obvious that the CBO had no clue what she was talking about. She was very insulting and demeaning to the engineers not in the room, talking about everyone like they are disposable and calling them names. Her questions were loaded, but were so obvious what she wanted to hear. When I was leaving one of the engineers filled me in on why she gets involved with engineering interviews since I questioned why this person who obvious had no clue what she was talking about came into the room. Even during the interview stage it was very obvious the employees had a very negative opinion of her and that she is not capable of doing her job. Wish I never accepted this job, the CBO has ruined everything about this department and company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time at your current or past employer that you had to do several people's jobs?   Answer Question

Pathway Genomics Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Pathway Genomics Team

This post is clearly an attack on the company's CBO. The CBO does not do engineering interviews.

Programmer-Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Skills test before phone interview. Apparently did well enough to get phone interview. Did well enough to get group interviews.

Group interviews conducted by several panels of 2 to 5 people. Major focus on PHP programming principles. Stressed pretty strongly that it was a Linux shop. No Windows there.

Last panel was horrendous:

Consisted of two people, an older lady and a young man. The man was literally falling asleep during the interview process. At one point, he asked a question, nodded off, and while I was answering the question, the lady interrupted me to ask another question. When I asked her if she wanted me to finish answering the sleeping guy's question, she told me she thought I was done because I was rambling.

Most unprofessional interview I've ever been to or heard of.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a better candidate than all of our other candidates?   2 Answers
    • How many tries would it take to successfully choose a randomly-picked number from between 1 and 1000?   2 Answers

Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

This turned out to be the most unprofessional interview experience of my career. The executives were very clearly looking for a top-notch, experienced attorney but didn't want to pay market value, in salary or benefits. After an offer had been made, they asked me to lay out my requirements regarding the finer details of comp and employment structure. I provided market research and some suggestions. After a month of interviewing and discussions, as well as having passed on another job, they blew me off. and I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• They repeatedly asked me to tell them how I wanted the arrangement and compensation structured.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Horribly unprofessional. Pathway portends to want the candidate's feedback when in reality they are looking to underpay employees and are simply searching for the candidates who won't notice or won't care.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Original phone screening was pretty standard:
    They asked questions like, if you had a number between 1 and 1000 how many tries would it take to get it right, about MVC, and other patterns. They also asked about SDLC and other things relating to development (including code versioning/repositories) etc.

A few days later, the in-person interview:
    Receptionist was not so friendly. I tried to make small talk but she was more interested in playing with her cellphone.

Interview Questions

• After the interview started:
      Asked highlevel development questions, what would you use an adapter pattern for, what different patterns do you have experience with, what function would you use for...etc.   1 Answer
    • Asked to solve two problems: Write a function that translates time to degrees on a circle, and solve an interview 2.0 problem.   Answer Question

They ultimately low-balled the offer.

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Started being interviewed by two of their current QA Engineers. After about 45 minutes, the project manager and a software engineer joined in and asked question from the perspective of their positions. Finally, was joined in by the Director of Engineering who pretty much explained his expectation for the position and asked me if I had any questions. By they point, the process took a more relaxed, conversational tone.

Interview Questions

• The two QA engineers focused a lot on my knowledge and skills of quality assurance with question about different testing methodologies (white box vs black box), testing types (acceptance, functional, destructive, boundary, etc..), agile vs. waterfall, validation vs. verification and so on. The program manager focused more questions to determine my fit with within the team with inquiries about my being a team player, how well I work with others, dealing with priorities, time management, etc... The software developer challenged me to show him how my work would help him turn out better code.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Question: What is the difference between <b> and <strong>
    Question: Suppose we have a listnav and we want to do something when a user hovers around it, what would you do?
    Answer: I'd capture the onmouseover event...
    Question: To pick a number between 1 to 1000 how many trys would it take?
    Answer: I thought it had something to do with the big O notation of simple sort/traverse...

Interview Questions

• To pick a number between 1 to 1000, how many trys would it take?   Answer Question

Node Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pathway Genomics in June 2015.

Interview

I conducted a phone interview with JR and Jaime regarding their immediate need for a seasoned Node developer. While, ultimately, I did not get the position due to lack of experience on my part, I thought the interviewers did a good job of assessing my skill set. They were both approachable and made me feel comfortable with the process. JR did a good job of describing the position and Jaime followed up with appropriate technical questions. I got the impression that they were making good architectural decisions on the project they are working on and I will casually keep an eye on the forthcoming products.

Interview Questions

• The question I was unable to answer: the difference between .call() and .apply().   Answer Question