Patreon Product Design Lead Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Patreon

1 Interview Review

Product Design Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Patreon (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, then with team director, followed by a dense day of in-house team interviews.

Pros:
- All positive, well-meaning people, with a strongly shared sense of mission
- Fairly well-organized spread of questions across each session
- Lunch was nice

Cons:
- Full day of interviews listed ~15 people grouped into time slots, but no agenda or notion of who they were.
- The presentation I was asked to prepare was only—and unexpectedly—used in the first session, which lacked enough time to get through it.
- I get that the office is short on space (they were weeks away from a move), but upon arriving 20min early they asked me to find space at a coffee shop and come back. Kind of a weird start to the day.
- Wall-to-wall non-personal/non-cultural questions, though great for digging into my work, left me wondering about their personalities and culture.
- All questions were pre-composed and read aloud, with almost no follow-up, resulted in a long day of impersonal non-sequiturs
- On average, I was given time for only one quick question to end each session (excepting the final regroup w/ the director). The most generous session set aside 4-5 minutes.

Ultimately, despite the densely packed day, I felt pretty good about my time with the team. I received a positively toned email shortly after about setting up a follow-up call, which was scheduled for late the next afternoon. The call, which took all of three minutes, was a rejection. I asked if any feedback could be shared, and the recruiter’s boilerplate response was that while they would like to, their lawyers have instructed them to not provide it, on account of some sort of past interviewee misunderstanding, plus some vague remark about possibly repositioning the role (which came across like a cover story). Emailing the team director a nice “Thank you for your time and good luck to the team!” with a request for feedback, if they had any to give, was not returned.

Overall, not getting the gig aside, a pretty sour and unhelpful end to the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a negative interaction with someone at your company, and how you worked to resolve it.   Answer Question