PayPal Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at PayPal

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in May 2018.

Interview

I interview with team manager and then she gave me a dataset assignment. I finished the assignment and then they told me they are going to review all candidate results and get back to me in a week. However, they reject me in one hour. I was shocked and I think they did not even review my results. I feel truly disrespectful. I will never apply for any job in this company again.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by recruited and went 2 rounds of interview. First round of skype interview with one data scientist and second round with two data scientists. Each round was around 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• Questions about database and Machine Learning. The interviewer asked about my background in operations research and machine learning. Several programming questions with language of my choice.   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in February 2016.

Interview

Firstly a phone interview with the hiring manager. It's basic questions about resume, algorithm and machine learning. I got response from the HR 2 days later. Then I was scheduled a 3-round phone interview. Got questions about SQL programming, machine learning. Got offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like machine learning? Did you consider overfit/ variable selection in this project?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

For intern interview, only one round.
    Discuss the projects written in the resume.
    Asked an open question, it is the real problem they come across during this work. Mainly want to know how you solve the problem.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I was contacted by a campus recruiter saying that a hiring manger would like to interview me for Data Scientist position (campus level). At the time of my scheduled interview, instead of the interviewer mentioned by the recruiter, I received a call from a hiring manager from some other team for an intern position. After this confusion, the actual hiring manager called in around 10 minutes late and sounded very unprepared/ uninterested to take the interview. He asked questions on technologies which he mentioned that are no longer used in the team anymore. Overall, it was a not positive experience definitely.

Interview Questions

• 1)What do you know about Central Limit Theorem? Can you prove CLT? Applications?
      2) If you know for certain that a friend of yours has 2 children and that atleast one of them is a boy, what is the probability that the other is also a boy?
      3) If you merge 2 datasets in SAS without BY statement, how would the resultant output be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in July 2018.

Interview

2 technical interviews with data scientists (including potential manager) and a concluding HR interview. I was also asked to provide 2 recommenders. I was job hunting discretely so asked to provide 2 past employers. After talking with them I was asked to provide my manager as a recommender, thus forcing me to confide my job search. After talking to him they decided to not extend an offer. When I asked for feedback the answer I got was lack of experience, which quite frankly was outrageous given the fact such piece of information was already known to them when they asked me to provide my manager as a recommender.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about identifying the "True" industry of a new seller?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in December 2018.

Interview

The first step was home assignment where I had to classify online carts - buy/ not
    The second and the third steps were technical inrterviews (the first was more about general topics and the second about the company's field)
    The fourth step was HR interview

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal (Chennai (India)).

Interview

Firstly there was a written test conducted by hacker rank, 20 questions for 30 min, simple and easy aptitude, there was a case study where you have to analyse the data and approach the problem and then technical interview and they are checking how you approach the problem statement

Interview Questions

• how many pencils are used in india?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to submit a Codility test (an online coding exam). I was asked to print out a given sentence with each word backwards and to write a function that given an array prints out the max of differences you get from splitting the array into two sub arrays and subtracting their minma (on all possible divisions). Above functions need to work in O(n) time.
    Second stage was a frontal interview, personal and professional. I got two sheets describing a PayPal transactions - name, email, ip, sum, product and whatnot. I was asked to confirm or decline the transactions. After we had a discussion about what possible scenarios can make this a legitimate deal but still fail my criteria and the other way around.
    Third time II got a csv file describing multiple transactions (each deal structured as what II saw the second time) in addition each had a validity boolean field. I was asked to analyze the file using programming or other tools.
    Last interviews were with the team leader and HR.

Interview Questions

• If you had access to Waze data what could you learn about its users?   Answer Question