PayPal Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2017

143 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

HR phone call
    Engineer phone interview
    Onsite with 5 people from different teams (1 Manager and 1 Director included)

Process was real quick.
    I have messed up Hiring Manager round which had behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Reverse each word in the sentence and return the sentence.
      2. Different ways of finding element in an array.
      3. Balance paranthesis

4. Quick sort algorithm
      5. Can you use class instance as key in HashMap? does it compile? any dis-advantages?
      6. Given an input which could be data stream. You have matching data which you need to match that input data stream with this matching data and return the input from data stream if there is a match. Few constraints within it.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

It was about discussion type.Very friendly and understandable.applied on line.It was a phone interview.Asked me to code in JAVA.They explained me about the problem.Hiring process is difficult.It improved my confidence level.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Pretty casual with phone screen and full day of onsite interviews, as well as a presentation related to the product area. I didn't really get any payment industry questions, but perhaps the presentation gave some insight into that. The interviews were mainly casual and conversational, with a few situational questions to walk through. The team was professional and courteous, and I actually really liked them. However, immediately after the onsite I was offered in writing, directly from the hiring manager, to go on to the final round. Things felt good. It was scheduled, then canceled with no explanation, then radio silence for 2 weeks. I even got multiple email notifications from PayPal to do a PayPal account check and background check. Then, the recruiter finally contacted me and told me that they had moved on with other candidates. It stinks that the recruiter had to close the loop on the hiring manager's mess. How this all unfolded was really unnecessary and disappointing. Talk about a new bar for being led on.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about prioritizing things on your roadmap?   1 Answer
    • Walkthrough on a mobile design scenario   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Applied and recruiter contacted and went on about how good my resume was and how I'd be perfect for role. Connected to senior manager for phone interview and then a Lower colleague. First senior manager had positive feedback and wanted to move forward, the next junior colleague wasn't prepared with questions and was awkward to talk to. Didn't know what she was asking. Recruiter never got back to me on if I was going forth or not until a week later of sending multiple emails. I didn't want to work here after seeing the process and clueless people working there. Ended up taking a director position elsewhere.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Really weird interview process.

I was contacted by their recruiter on Indeed for a Sr. Software Engg position even though I've <2 years of industry experience. When the interview started, the interviewer didn't even know the position that he was interviewing me for. He felt I didn't have sufficient industry experience to be considered for a Sr. Engg role, I guess had he looked at my profile earlier he could have save himself and me both those 45 minutes!

The interviewer used up the entire 45-50 minute time to ask about every possible Java concept theoretically. IMO doing a coding test/challenge helps one understand so much better about the thinking process of a person rather than grilling them about the things that one can easily look up and read, if they don't already know. They sent me a reject even though all my answers were spot on. I think they themselves were confused about what they were looking for in the candidate.

My Personal advise: Don't waste your time here.

Interview Questions

• Java concepts:
      - Abstract vs final
      - overloading vs overriding
      - multithreading
      - why java doesn't support multiple inheritance, etc   Answer Question

Full Stack Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

After a phone screen in which I did a code share with the hiring manager I was invited to do an on site interview. The onsite interview I met with the team lead, a javascript expert, and the hiring manager's boss.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of having using micro services as a design?   Answer Question
    • How would you design the API for the service that you are applying for?   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had the first round of interview with the Manager for about 45 to 50 mins. After 3 weeks, I had the second round of interview with one of the developers. It was an online coding test mostly concentrating on Javascript and one question involving algorithms and data structures. The next business day I got a mail from the Talent Acquisition team asking me to come onsite for an interview. The onsite interview went on for about 4 and a half hours with about 5 mins of break. It was mostly white board coding and tested my skills in HTML, CSS and Javascript. It also involved some problem solving and puzzle kind of questions. The last round of onsite interview was with the manager which went on for about an hour and 15 mins.

The only negative thing about the whole process was, after spending so much effort and time travelling and preparing for the interview, PayPal doesn't even bother to give the feedback. 2 Days after the onsite interview I got a mail saying they are considering other applicants for this position, but they don't bother telling you what was the feedback from the interview panel despite my repeated emails.

Interview Questions

• Create a payment application to send and receive money   Answer Question
    • create javascript custom library for specific functionalities.   Answer Question
    • Javascript code to consume Rest API   Answer Question
    • If you have 7 identical tiles and a common balance, 6 of which are of equal weight. How do you find the odd one out with minimum number of iterations.   1 Answer
    • For the given array, find the continuous sub array with maximum sum   Answer Question
    • Questions on javascript closure, inheritance, prototype, scope.   Answer Question

Mobile Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the PayPal jobs website. I was then contacted by a recruiter to set up a technical phone screening with a software engineer on the team. After passing the first round, I was invited onsite to meet with more members of the team at the PayPal North Campus. Very smooth and quick process with the utmost transparency.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were a solid mix of programming, data structures, design, user experience, logic, language fundamentals, design patterns, and other topics.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The HR management in Paypal is terribly not well organized. I wasn't given the interview schedule until 6pm the day before the onsite interview. The hiring manager was missed from the schedule. He was indeed in office and was insert last min into the schedule. Also, I was forgotten to be given a case study until the afternoon before the interview date while I was traveling to San Jose and totally not possible to sit down and work on it. Also, the hotel is charged to my credit card, and it has been two months and I still haven't got it reimbursed.

Interview Questions

• Why Paypal, why this position?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Ask Questions on Java and Salesforce integration over phone.
    It went pretty well and came onsite immediately. Job location in san jose, california.
    HR interview was very strait forward.

Mostly straight forward interview.