PayPal Senior Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Senior Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at PayPal

2.8

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

A friend recommended me for a position at PayPal. I interviewed with the hiring manager and it seemed to go well. But then he decided to downgrade the job level and I was too experienced.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

-Recruiters are extremely unorganized and never follow up. It takes a miracle and several people within the org to push things to move
    - Onsite interview was good.
    - Smart teams
    - People seem nice
    - Relevant problems

Interview Questions

• Design questions and experience working with design teams   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

There was a presentation that requires you talk about your past work, and details of how you would improve Venmo. This was followed by a 1:1 with the hiring manager, along with 6 others.
    My guess is that not all teams are this bad, but this group is old school tech with outdated practices.

There were no design questions, they're all behavioral

Multiple interviewers clearly didn't know they had an interview today, and played on their phone/laptop during the process. Interviewers were mostly arrogant. There was one interviewer that I really speaking with, and from looking up later, I found that he went to a top 20 MBA school and had been with the company the longest.

The recruiter was someone who was just hired the month before. All her messages went to my spam box, and she started calling me at 8am to find me without stop. She was very unhelpful in scheduling and gave no context for what I should expect for the process. Her approach to get me to schedule earlier was to threaten me by sending me a job rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used data to reach a conclusion?   Answer Question
    • How would you prioritize 4 projects that are being requested from you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Phone screening interview with HR, in-person interview with entire team member

Interview Questions

• Many questions about card acquiring, card network processing, credit card association, gateway processing, bank processing - ach, debit card, p2p   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

First the PayPal recruiter contacted me and asked about salary expectations and clarified the role and what the hiring manager was looking for. Then there was a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then had a full day interview in the PayPal office with several people.

Interview Questions

• Explain how to solve an existing issue in PayPal which existing employees were unable to address   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

very consensus driven culture

Interview Questions

• are you more analytical or intuitive?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Hiring via an external consultant.
    Initial phone screening with the hiring manager
    5 rounds on the same day - onsite interviews
    Very fast response and offer
    negotiation was also simple
    offer was accepted

Interview Questions

• Very payment specific questions about how credit card processing works
      customer experience - use case was provided   2 Answers

Negotiation

fast and furious

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

With so many people being hired (2,000 each year for the next 3 years), they've got this down to a science. First, an HR rep calls you for a phone pre-screen. Then, HR sets up a phone screen with the hiring manager. That is followed by a few more phone interviews with peers or subordinates. Finally a 1:1 live interview is conducted. In my case, they were bringing me from out of state, so I interviewed with 3 different people (all colleagues of the hiring manager).

Interview Questions

• All questions pertained to the role; nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room; they know what they are willing to offer and don't move from that very far.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews, 1st by the Recruiter then the Hiring Manager, followed by 2 onsite interviews. Each onsite interview consisted of 4 interviews of 45 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Describe the pros and cons of a well known product   Answer Question
    • If you were to create a new product, what would it be, describe it's features, it's distinguishing characteristics, what would be the target market and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate $3000 more than they were offering, although I had asked for $8K more than they offered. I told the hiring manager that I would like to be offered a salary that was on par with my colleagues in the industry, or else I would keep looking to jump jobs to get paid the appropriate wages.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

The process started after I submitted my resume to apply for a Product Manager opening -- I was a referral by an existing employee so I was directed to a specific site for referrals. I submitted my resume and was contacted by an internal recruiter the next day. We set up a time later in the week to have a phone screen to which the recruiter asked pretty standard questions about my work history, what I'm working on, how familiar I was with the specific product they were looking to fill the position for and how I would manage that product if I were responsible for it. After a good conversation in which I much have met the minimum requirements for the next round, I was contacted the following day to set up a time for a phone screen with the hiring manager for early the next week.

My phone screen with the hiring manager was pretty basic as well. We talked about work history and some situational based questions ("tell me about a time when you had to XYZ...."). I was also asked to elaborate on certain areas of my resume. The phone screen lasted about 30-45 mins. This was as far as I got through the interview process. After about a week without word from anyone, I contacted the recruiter who mentioned that the hiring manager was in the process of extending an offer to someone else.

It was disappointing to hear that I was no longer in consideration, but it was much more disappointing that the recruiter was not willing to extend the courtesy to let me know. Being a referral, I figured at the very least I would have been informed on ever step of the process out of respect for my knowing someone within the organization. Overall, I found the experience decent.

Interview Questions

• In your own words, explain to me what makes a good Product Manager?   Answer Question