PayPal Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at PayPal

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Ask Questions on Java and Salesforce integration over phone.
It went pretty well and came onsite immediately. Job location in san jose, california.
HR interview was very strait forward.

Mostly straight forward interview.

Interview Questions

• integration on salesforce and java   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. There were two telephonic interviews. Both were technical. Few questions were behavioral and rest were algorithmic, object oriented design questions and design pattern questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me, followed by a telephone interview. Then I was invited for a face-to-face interview at their San Jose location. It consisted 5 interviews from morning till afternoon. One was with the manager over the lunch. Two of them were really rude.

Interview Questions

• Largest Subarray problem. I answered but the interviewer wasn't convinced with my solution. I tried to explain, then turned out that, that person has got the definition of a sub-array wrong. And the interviewer was very rude. Understood that it would be a terrible place to work.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal in May 2017.

Interview

Had a telephonic round on my preferred language [core java]. No algorithm questions but a lot of questions on core java and design patterns. I thought the interview went really well, but only to know after a couple of weeks that they preferred other candidates.

Interview Questions

• explain some design patterns you used and give examples   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

recruiter contacted me on linked in. the process took 3 weeks. In consistent with the other reviews here i found the interviewers too arrogant and horrible. All of the interviewers were Indians and all of them had a horrible attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter with the job description and a phone interview was setup in 2 weeks. The interviewer called me on time and he started the interview with the coding question and said we could discuss more if I had any questions in the last five minutes.

Interview Questions

• Find longest palindrome formed by removing or shuffling chars from string   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

My resume was passed thru a referral and I was directly called for an onsite interview in their San Jose office. Right from the start, this was a disaster. The hiring manager directly called me and set up the interview... "Can you come tomorrow?" I asked for a couple of days more to study and setup the interview on friday. There was no process to it. No confirmation email. No job description sent. Nothing.

There were four 45 mins interview. The first one was probably the only nice guy. The 2nd interviewer was a manager in another team. He was chatting, while i was explaining on the white board. I could hear the notification sounds. At one point, he stops me and tells me - "hold on. let me tell these guys i am in an interview" ...I mean, please show atleast some professionalism when you are interviewing someone.

All 4 interviewers were constantly IMing on their phone. Not sure, if they were exchanging notes or if it was a personal conversation.

As a senior engineer, I have been on the other side taking interviews and I make it a point to not take my laptop and not take my phone out of the pocket. In many cases, the interviewee is already tense and it is my duty as an interviewer to show professionalism, listen to him, guide him, make him feel comfortable and try to show him how great a workplace this is.

Sorry but IMing, speaking on the phone etc shows the exact opposite.

The final interview was with the hiring manager. It ended around 12.30 and he asks me "did you have lunch?" and I am like, "uh. no" He goes - "ok you have two options. you can go home and eat or i can take you to the cafeteria"
    My interviews had not gone well, so i knew I am not getting the position but if any hiring manager asks me for a lunch, how can i say no? So, we go to the cafeteria. pick up something. He looks at the watch and tells me, "Ok, i have another meeting in 10 mins, so we need to finish this fast" ....Are you kidding me? Why did you even give me the option? You should have just escorted me out instead.

I have given approx 5-7 interviews in the last 1 month and this was the second worst interview process. Paypal, if you need good engineers, take a deep look at your interview process and train your interviewers

Interview Questions

• Past projects, find unique element in an array where all other elements are repeating twice, Connect 4 game implementation and other basic java questions   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal in August 2017.

Interview

In house four round process, one after another without a break,
    since interviewee didn't pay attention felt distracted, and not helpful to give hints or solving the problem, hopeful they train the interviewers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Paypal, San Jose in November 2017. Interview questions were pretty easy with very basic algorithm questions . All interviewers were Indians and extremely rude which propelled my decision to not join this company. Workforce is not diverse, office seemed to be full of people from South India.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal in March 2019.

Interview

I was recommended by a friend currently working there.

I got a phone call and they provided a link to solve a code problem. The phone call was disconnected several times during the interview. The interviewer was talking to me as if it didn't matter what I do my answer was always going to be incorrect. I provided an answer to the question that actually works but he wanted a better solution. My answer was O(n) he wanted a O(log n). I believe there's no actual answer to the question that can be O(log n) (the worst case scenario would still be O(n)). That was the whole interview, one single coding problem. In the beginning he asked about my past jobs but I could tell that he wasn't interested in that. He kept sighing as if he just wanted me to finish already with that part of the interview.

He kept giving me hints on how to answer the question according to him, he wasn't allowing me to come up with my own solution. After the interview I was able to answer the question, but by no means is the solution he was expecting, so I'm going to assume it wouln't have been good enough for him.

I never got a call or email back after that interview. Not even from HR.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers e.g. [1,3,7,7,8,8,9], create a function that returns the indeces of a target number. For example, target is 8, return [4,5] for the array mentioned before.   3 Answers