PayPal Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 8, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

recruiter contacted me on linked in. the process took 3 weeks. In consistent with the other reviews here i found the interviewers too arrogant and horrible. All of the interviewers were Indians and all of them had a horrible attitude.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter with the job description and a phone interview was setup in 2 weeks. The interviewer called me on time and he started the interview with the coding question and said we could discuss more if I had any questions in the last five minutes.

Interview Questions

• Find longest palindrome formed by removing or shuffling chars from string   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

My resume was passed thru a referral and I was directly called for an onsite interview in their San Jose office. Right from the start, this was a disaster. The hiring manager directly called me and set up the interview... "Can you come tomorrow?" I asked for a couple of days more to study and setup the interview on friday. There was no process to it. No confirmation email. No job description sent. Nothing.

There were four 45 mins interview. The first one was probably the only nice guy. The 2nd interviewer was a manager in another team. He was chatting, while i was explaining on the white board. I could hear the notification sounds. At one point, he stops me and tells me - "hold on. let me tell these guys i am in an interview" ...I mean, please show atleast some professionalism when you are interviewing someone.

All 4 interviewers were constantly IMing on their phone. Not sure, if they were exchanging notes or if it was a personal conversation.

As a senior engineer, I have been on the other side taking interviews and I make it a point to not take my laptop and not take my phone out of the pocket. In many cases, the interviewee is already tense and it is my duty as an interviewer to show professionalism, listen to him, guide him, make him feel comfortable and try to show him how great a workplace this is.

Sorry but IMing, speaking on the phone etc shows the exact opposite.

The final interview was with the hiring manager. It ended around 12.30 and he asks me "did you have lunch?" and I am like, "uh. no" He goes - "ok you have two options. you can go home and eat or i can take you to the cafeteria"
    My interviews had not gone well, so i knew I am not getting the position but if any hiring manager asks me for a lunch, how can i say no? So, we go to the cafeteria. pick up something. He looks at the watch and tells me, "Ok, i have another meeting in 10 mins, so we need to finish this fast" ....Are you kidding me? Why did you even give me the option? You should have just escorted me out instead.

I have given approx 5-7 interviews in the last 1 month and this was the second worst interview process. Paypal, if you need good engineers, take a deep look at your interview process and train your interviewers

Interview Questions

• Past projects, find unique element in an array where all other elements are repeating twice, Connect 4 game implementation and other basic java questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There are 4 rounds. They mainly asked me the experiences in previous projects. They also asked me some design questions (distributed system) and algorithms questions. I thought it is easy but in retrospect, they seem don't like me. Three out of four are from India. They are very professional developer. Because they are contributors of some open source project.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

A friend who worked at Paypal forwarded my resume to their internal recruiter and she set-up a phone screen for me.

The person called-up at the scheduled time and without bothering to introduce himself plunged right into asking me about my most recent project. Within 2-3 sentences he interrupted me and jumped to another section of my resume. Within 2-3 sentences of that he interrupted again and jumped to my education. I got the feeling that he was not really listening to me. I had taken a course in compilers several years ago and he then asked me to describe how to write a compiler. I mixed up a lexer and a parser in the first sentence and he got ticked off about that - rudely correcting me before I could correct myself. He then peppered me with questions that were absolutely irrelevant to the job I was applying for - example what is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? I was just taken aback at this question - I'm not a analog/digital processing electrical engineer nor do I play one on TV!

The interviewer came across as having a huge superiority complex - essentially being rude and condescending throughout the interview.

I narrated my experience to my friend and he confirmed that the person who interviewed has had several run-ins with his co-workers and management because of his attitude. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What is a fast-fourier transform and how is it used in signal processing? This was for a software-developer position!   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Basic coding questions, and some simple design questions. Focusses mainly on simple whiteboard questions and how well you know some data structures. Not difficult and if you are a decent coder you should be able to crack this

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The process started more then a month ago. I've had 4 phone call, between the HR staff, hiring manager internal recruiters...

Interview Questions

• Here's the problem the questions were not difficult, just so basic and uncomplicated "Design for me a web application". I can do that in a "Hello World" socket connection. Now what do you what it to do? ....or I can design a Web Application that does it all...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

A quick introduction phone interview followed by a technical phone screen the following week.

Interview Questions

• The most difficulty was understanding the interviewer whose native language is not english. Also, their appeared to be a volume gate on the interviewer's speaker phone so that if the interviewer did not speak up enough, it would sound muffled and not understandable.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2014.

Interview

Direct face to face interview, review of skills, general collaboration questions in gauging team interactions and personality fitting. Impressed with smart people that work at Paypal and they asked smart questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to responding to situations. One was a way to help speed up serer responses.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, the rate was for contract and agreed upon prior to interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

I was hired 4 years back, now the process is changed and it is usually a all day interview here in Baltimore. Expect a few coding questions, but very basic. I have not seen folks asking question on Algorithms or Data structures implementation much.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some sql questions back then, which I was not prepared for but somehow made it :).   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, I got a good offer.