PayPal Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at PayPal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (Austin, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

Phone interview consisted questions on OO for C++, Java. C++ questions: How do implement java interface in C++? What do you do when constructor fails? Why make a destructor virtual? How to decouple classes. Object Oriented concepts: Polymorphism, Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance. Java: Access specifiers in Java.
On site interview consisted of 4 1:1 interviews with engineers. Consisted of puzzles, white board coding, design pattern questions. Examples: Design a hash table. Generate permutation of n characters. Recursively reverse string or linked list. Big O questions. Find the kth element in an unsorted array.

Interview Questions

Offer was too low. Had a way better competing offer from another company in Austin.

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Applied online through their careers page. Later one of the recruiter contact me for initial phone screen. Took two to three weeks to set up a phone screen. First round was initial phone screen with technical questions and one data structure related question

Interview Questions

• Not very difficult. Questions were related to data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

No feeling good, interviewer is not only late, but also doesn't very care about what you said. The question is not very difficult, but looks like the interviewer doesn't know DFS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

The recruiting people and the system are extremely unreliable, you will talk to multiple people and you dont know who is who?

As for their recruiting system, when they said they will send you an email via recruiting system but you will never receive one.
    Finally when you recall this and ask, they will claim that their system had some difficulty...

Asks a lot of Java details in interviews, programming problems are easy.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Telephonic screening, In person - onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Quick sort, Design Elevator system, Spiral Traversal of a Matrix, BFS, DFS related   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very negotiable, should stick to what you believe you deserv

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

The initial communication was via email. There were 2 rounds of phone interview and one face to face interview (8 hours). There were 6 rounds, each with a different interviewer or interviewers during the face-to-face interview. The interview process was very prompt and efficient. Both the phone interviews and the face-to-face interview were difficult, even though it was for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you want to convert (transform) your C++ compiled code to a JVM byte code (not java specific), what are the challenges you will face?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lavista, NE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal (Lavista, NE) in February 2009.

Interview

Just talked to several directors, managers and architects. Just was asked about my work experience. No skill test whatsoever because the IT dept's management has really poor tech skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at PayPal (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Got the Interview thru a staffing Agency. First was an online skill test followed by three rounds of Phone Interview. Suggestion to go thru the questions in the Glassdoor before the interview

Interview Questions

• Reversing a Linked List, String are Anagram or not., Hashtable insertion and Retrieval   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal (Scottsdale, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

It took about 5 hours. First round was the IQ tests. (ex: given a stack of penny, how do you determine if all the pennies can fill this room) Second round was finding programming errors on the pre-defined questions from the interviewer. You need to explained why there are errors and how to fix it. Next was writing code on white code for C++ exception handling. Then after that, it was the basic math function type question. (ex: given a number 1234, how do you reverse the number in 4321 format without using string.reverse). Next round is programming design.( ex: UML). Last round is with the manger. The discussion includes everything above plus oracle DB problems ( ex: indexes, how to do update to the live db tables etc.) The whole interviewing process is long but not terribly hard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

The recruiter called me to ask for my availability, and talked about this position's responsibilities, and then told me to take a coding evaluation.

Interview Questions

• CODE (weight: 10%)

What is the output from this code (assume int is 32 bit)

int f(int n)
      {
          return n * f(n-1);
      }

print(f(100));   2 Answers
    • ALGORITHM (weight: 30%)

A small directory is hard-coded as an array in the code:

String names[] = { "Elon Musk",
                  "Ken Howery",
                  "Luke Nosek",
                  "Max Levchin",
                  "Peter Thiel" };

A requirement is to be able to extend this directory dynamically at
      runtime, without persistent storage. The directory can eventually grow
      to hundreds or thousands of names and must be searchable by first or
      last name.

1) What approach would you take? (Ans: HashMap)
      2) Write an implementation for the add and search methods in pseudo-code

age integer

Write a query to return the list of unique names from table A   3 Answers
    • CODING (weight: 50%)

The string "PAYPAL IS HIRING" is written in a zigzag pattern on a given
      number of rows like this: (you may want to display this pattern in a
      fixed font for better legibility)

P A H N
       A P L S I I G
        Y I R

And then read line by line: PAHNAPLSIIGYIR

Write the code that will take a string and make this conversion given a
      number of rows:

String convert(String text, int nRows);

convert("paypalishiring", 3) should return "pahnaplsiigyir"   6 Answers