PayScale Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at PayScale

2.8

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

It started out with an email where I was asked for times that I could setup an interview. I told them in the afternoon, so that was done. Once the interview came, i was told that it was actually an Maintenance/Ops position and asked basic questions related to System Administration, which baffled me, considering the snark he displayed.

I asked a legitimate question related to some of the gaps in knowledge and he told me that Google could answer that for me. What the heck? Apparently couldn't answer my question, so googling is the best he could come up with. Why not just let me Google for your answers during the entire interview then... So much for representation of the company.

The worst experience for an interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions and the unexpected was the system administration questions when it is a Software engineering position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Too long. There was no coordination among people interviewing. They had no respect for time for interviewee. Really lengthy and strange interview process that shows lack of professionalism and can really do with some streamlining and a bit of transparency.

Interview Questions

• Your implementation of hash table was great(actual code that compiled) but lets write a linked list on white board. Seriously, you tested my coding, you tested my knowledge of data structure, you were satisfied with it and now you want me to write code on white board. I felt I was asked the same thing again and again.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

- Clear and timely communication. I got a notification when PayScale was reviewing my application, a prompt code-challenge followup, a tech interview appointment, and then an offer letter!

- Stack agnostic. I was encouraged to code in my preferred language. I have little to no experience in the stack I'll be working with, but they indicated that it wasn't an issue.

- "Casual dress code" encouraged. As someone who dresses in "casual goth" attire, with facial piercings and visible tattoos, I felt like I could just be myself and show up as I am daily.

- Well-rounded tech interview: I felt like the questions covered a large breadth of skills and topics. I met with several people in the company, including engineers working on various projects, my upcoming manager, and the senior director of software development. I was able to ask lots of questions about the future of the business and learn about neat technical paths I could take. Everyone was very respectful and kind.

Some of my interviewers shared details about their lives outside of tech, in other previous walks of life or areas of expertise. We also got to have some fun conversations about NLP and computing history. The folks I met were very well-rounded and impressive, and I am excited about getting to work with them!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview process was a 30 minute phone call with some light technical questions with my manager. That went well, was followed up by a relatively short (4-8 hours) "homework assignment" that was perfectly suited to my day-to-day responsibilities. After sending that in I was asked to come in for an onsite loop interview which took about 6 hours, meeting people from all across the org in series of ~45 minute 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• What's the best way to convince another engineer to adopt a best practice?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Began with an hour long interview with the recruiter who reached out to me; talked about my background extensively and PayScale. Next step was an online technical review that can be completed in any language and a three hour time limit. PayScale responded a day later with full detailed review of my code with recommendations and an explanation why they decided to not move forward. Overall, PayScale was very punctual, professional, and personable throughout my interview process.

Interview Questions

• (Will not give out for respect to the interview) but it's an interesting problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

About process: Applied online, was contacted by recruiter after 5-6 days with an online challenge on a site called hackerrank. You can submit solution on this site and it runs some test cases as well( pretty nifty !!)
    You can code in your own IDE and copy code over to this site's editor. The question was average. Solved the question, submitted solution and was rejected after about 2 days.
    Experience: The recruiter was super helpful and did an excellent job on communication. Very professional and responsive. 5* for recruiter.
    Engineering team: not so sure :), the team responded with an answer about a failed case, however the code submitted had all the cases covered and specific comments on how some of the special cases are handled (including the failed case which was reported by team).
     I executed my code with various combinations of "special cases" and all executed successfully, so I am not sure if product team even executed code :):). So for engineering team I would rate 2*.

Interview Questions

• (will respect the privacy of question) related to string.. interesting question   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Step 1 - Online coding test: 3 questions, 2 hours - easy
    Step 2 - Recruiter reaches out for a 15-minute phone call for standard HR questions and tells me twice that my coding test results were great and they will get back within a week for further rounds.
    --2 weeks later--
    I email them asking for update
    --no reply, 1 week later--
    I email them again, following which they give me a standard reject email and never let me know what exactly went wrong

Interview Questions

• Why Payscale? Why you? Why this position? (Standard HR questions over the phone call)   Answer Question

PayScale Response

Apr 18, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like you interviewed for one of our internship positions.

First, sorry for the negative experience, that certainly wasn't our intent. Our goal was to... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online thru a job site and was contacted a few days after by a recruiter. I was setup for onsite interviews after the call. I interviewed with 2 managers and I analyst, 30 minutes each. After a week, I followed up with the recruiter about feedback and never heard from them. It would be nice if a recruiter would at least reply that they are still going through interviews or you were not selected instead of having a candidate wait for a response.

Interview Questions

PayScale Response

Nov 7, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing this feedback. I know it's very frustrating to invest time and energy in the interviewing process and then never hear back. Our team has a goal of closing the loop with every... More

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PayScale.

Interview

Had a phone interview followed up by a couple of in person interviews. It took some following up on my part to get in touch with the right people. After that it was pretty smooth sailing and I heard back from everyone clearly and promptly.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the competitive landscape for PayScale?   Answer Question

Account Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone Screen, In person meeting with both managers, and final phone call with recruiter

*Pro tips. Be charismatic, this is a sales role. Show your personality.

My other offer was the BLP program at LinkedIn, both similar in sales career growth. I felt that I could make more of an impact at PayScale and that I connected way more with the collaborative culture here.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about PayScale?   1 Answer