PayScale Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2017

2.7

User Experience Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was pretty long, around 2 months. I applied on Linkedin and had a phone interview later that same week followed by a coding challenge online. A week later I had a casual onsite with the hiring manager over coffee.
    I was invited back for a full loop of interviews with the team (6 interviews total). I had a coding white boarding session, a computer debugging session, 2 regular behavioral interviews, a lunch interview, and a design session that included a problem statement, 10 minutes for questioning, 30 minutes to white board and prepare a presentation, and then 20 minutes to present.

I heard back about 2 weeks later with an offer!

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online thru a job site and was contacted a few days after by a recruiter. I was setup for onsite interviews after the call. I interviewed with 2 managers and I analyst, 30 minutes each. After a week, I followed up with the recruiter about feedback and never heard from them. It would be nice if a recruiter would at least reply that they are still going through interviews or you were not selected instead of having a candidate wait for a response.

Interview Questions

PayScale Response

Nov 7, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing this feedback. I know it's very frustrating to invest time and energy in the interviewing process and then never hear back. Our team has a goal of closing the loop with every... More

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

1 recruiter interview and 1 in person interview that last about 5 hours. Although an offer wasn’t extended everyone treated me very respectfully and gave me their undivided attention during the interview. They are quick and responsive during the entire processs too.

Interview Questions

• If you are not going to meet your sales goals for the month, what do you do?   1 Answer
    • What are three attributes that have made you successful on your career?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale in June 2017.

Interview

Pretty typical:

1. Phone screening via internal recruiter
    2. Follow up call with a manager
    3. In person interview (about 4 hours with 4 different managers)
    4. Final demo interview with your potential manager
    5. Screening with SVP
    6. Job offer

Honestly a bit long of a process but good experience overall.

If you are going into a sales role, know your number and your stats to prove it.

The overall culture is great, but can be a bit frat house-y. So going into it take it with a grain of salt. If you are looking for a professional sales environment, you'll be hard pressed to find it next to the Xbox, cheetos and beer. It's fun and all, but to me felt more of a gig than a career move.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you run into a customer who is ghosting you?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview with hiring recruiter, a coffee meet up with the hiring manager a week later, and then two on-site interviews with the Finance Team and the organization the role would be supporting.

I thought the initial two interviews went well. I was told during the coffee meet up that I would hear from the hiring recruiter to coordinate an onsite interview. I was led to believe that the hiring manager was in a rush to fill the position and that the process would go by fairly quickly. However, that turned out not to be the case.

I was scheduled for an on-site interview two weeks after the coffee meet up. A few hours before the on-site I was told that two of the four people I would interview with were out sick and given the option to reschedule or go ahead and do the interview with 2 out of 4 interviewers and come back a second day. I opted for the latter as I had already taken a vacation day for the interview.

I ended up interviewing with three people that day. We went through the usual "tell me about your experience and why you want this role" questions. And we also went over an assignment I was given with two Finance Analysts. I thought the interview went well.

A week later I was back on-site to meet with the remaining two interviewers. When I asked what the next steps of the interview were, the hiring manager informed me that they were still in the process of interviewing finalist so I should expect to hear back the first full week of June (about 3 week time frame). He also mentioned that he is "in no rush to fill the position" as he was out of town most of May. I said okay and left that day thinking "there's a 50/50 chance here", and I was completely fine with that.

That same day I was contacted by the hiring recruiter and was asked for my availability the next day to talk next steps. In that phone call I was led to believe that I basically had an offer pending. Obviously I was excited. I was told that the hiring manager would get to him at the end of the week to finalize paperwork and logistics.

The end of the week came and I asked for an update and I was told "the hiring manager is out of town next week but he will work on this when he has breaks"... So basically the following week was me going back and forth with the recruiter asking for updates. And it was essentially a waiting game. The hiring recruiter did do a good job at sending me follow-up emails to ensure that I wasn't "forgotten about" so I do appreciate that.

The first full week of June came and I had that feeling in my stomach that something was wrong. Usually the recruiter is very responsive and enthusiastic, however this time the response I got back was that "the hiring team was still making a decision" and he would let me know by end of day what next steps were.

After work hours I received a call from the hiring recruiter informing me that the team decided to go with another candidate. I was obviously devastated and I had let the call after my final on-site interview lead me to believe that I would be expecting an offer once the hiring manager returned from out of town. So while I was super transparent throughout the process, I felt that they were not as transparent and were "stringing me along" until they found that "better candidate". The reason for choosing someone else was that the other person "would be able to meet the more immediate needs of the role".

A lesson learned from all of this is to not count your chickens before they are hatched. I missed out on interviewing for other opportunities as I thought/ was led to believe that an offer was surely coming my way.

So my advice to you all is to be mindful of this. If things are "too good to be true", or follow a similar pattern as my experience, then ask questions, ask for transparency, and keep applying elsewhere just in case a position with this company does not fall through.

Everyone I interviewed was really nice and professional. There's definitely a lot that can be learned from the company and their overall initiative. If another role opened up I probably would not apply for it as I do not think the company would be a good fit for me personally. But I do encourage others to apply and check them out for yourselves.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, had a phone screen, then an in-office interview loop with five different people (team manager, three people currently in the role, one person in a different role but on the same team). Very efficient and fast process. The offer came within a few days.

Interview Questions

• How do you effectively manage multiple priorities and deadlines?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and the whole process took about 4 weeks. I had one phone interview, an coffee interview and an analysis test. The team was very nice and welcoming, although they did not always communicate the next steps in the process clearly. Overall, it was a good experience, and PayScale seems like a cool company to work for.

Interview Questions

• Asked basic interview questions about experience, why you want the job, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Began with an hour long interview with the recruiter who reached out to me; talked about my background extensively and PayScale. Next step was an online technical review that can be completed in any language and a three hour time limit. PayScale responded a day later with full detailed review of my code with recommendations and an explanation why they decided to not move forward. Overall, PayScale was very punctual, professional, and personable throughout my interview process.

Interview Questions

• (Will not give out for respect to the interview) but it's an interesting problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

About process: Applied online, was contacted by recruiter after 5-6 days with an online challenge on a site called hackerrank. You can submit solution on this site and it runs some test cases as well( pretty nifty !!)
    You can code in your own IDE and copy code over to this site's editor. The question was average. Solved the question, submitted solution and was rejected after about 2 days.
    Experience: The recruiter was super helpful and did an excellent job on communication. Very professional and responsive. 5* for recruiter.
    Engineering team: not so sure :), the team responded with an answer about a failed case, however the code submitted had all the cases covered and specific comments on how some of the special cases are handled (including the failed case which was reported by team).
     I executed my code with various combinations of "special cases" and all executed successfully, so I am not sure if product team even executed code :):). So for engineering team I would rate 2*.

Interview Questions

• (will respect the privacy of question) related to string.. interesting question   Answer Question

Compensation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at PayScale (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview scheduled via digital calendar, soonest was three weeks out.
    The telephone screen/interviewer suggested that I may want to come in as a higher grade, but they had two grades open and ahe suggested I come in for the higher tier.

Interview Questions

• Don't you think you'll be bored working here?   1 Answer