Paychex Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.1

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

This was very long process and rightfully so. They invest a great deal in you for the training in New York. I was interviewed for a payroll sales position and then was introduced to a 401k manager instead, did the ride day, and two phone interviews with the DSM and Zone Manager. I was then told no, but they really liked me, so I received a second opportunity with the payroll division. I, again, went on the ride day and had a phone interview with the DSM. I was then offered the job.

All in:
    Recruiter 20 minute phone interview to gauge communication skills and ability for position.

Then a digital video interview which was extremely uncomfortable, but just be confident!

I then came in for a in person interview. Then was invited back for a follow up in person interview. Went on two field rides, and had a total of 3 more phone interviews.

Highlights: Jody was my recruiter for the positions and she was amazing. Extremely helpful and comforting throughout the process. Additionally, my conversation with the DSM was phenomenal and a truly enlightening experience. He brought out the true reasons why I wanted to work for Paychex and why I can succeed in the role.

This was an extremely long process, but was the job I wanted and I was willing to go through it all. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why would you be better for this role than someone with more experience?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be good for outside sales?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest 3 character traits and what are 3 character traits you could see impacting your success?   Answer Question
    • Why Paychex?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

The writing is on the wall. I read so many reviews about their terrible interview process and the awful way they drag their candidates through the mud. Against my better judgement, I decided to ignore the masses before me and move forward with 5 interviews. Step 1: recruitered reach out to me on LinkedIn(I had never heard of this company before). Step 2: sales assessment(easy) Step 3: met for lunch with a manager Step 4: ride along Step 5: follow up call with the manager Step 6: interview with another manager. At this point, I hadn't heard anything for a few days so I reached out to the recruiter who said the hiring manager wanted to refer me to another sales position. I asked for feedback all I was told was "I was a better fit for the other sales department" Step 7: Passed along to different recruiter Step 8: Face to face with District Manager Step 9: Recruiter said they are "still working on putting a manager in place" Step 10: Auto-response
    If you know a candidate is not a good fit for the role, be upfront. It doesn't take 10 steps to end up at the starting line. I took too much time off work and risked my job for an worthless opportunity. My advice to everyone else, is do not waste your time applying unless you don't have a job. Besides, the employees that still work there, aren't exactly the best of the best so I'm not sure their selection process is that great to begin with. The girl I shadowed with asked what my race was and stated she was a design major in collage and "doesn't consider herself a salesperson" and was "just doing this until she can find a job in fashion"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I met with one individual who seemed more concerned about where else I was applying. (they wrote down the names of these companies) The questions seemed unrelated and almost leaning toward rude. Office was quiet and everyone seemed miserable. Not recommended.

Interview Questions

• What other companies are you interviewing with specifically?   Answer Question

Payroll Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Naperville, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

Short, after doing the math screening, of which only a few were required (I did like 18 of 20 and I am positive all perfect-was a math major) I was somehow rejected out of the interview process

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that make you feel qualified for this job?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrenville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Warrenville, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone interview, then online test, then face to face interview at paychex. This took place over a month. Came back for second interview and tour, had benefits package explained, sat with a specialist for an hour. I spent half a day there and was told I needed to meet one more person, the district manager was going to be in and I was to meet with her that following week. I felt that all the interviews went well. I felt comfortable in the interview with district manager and that interview last about two hours. I was told I would have an offer by the end of the week. It was Saturday evening I received an email they decided to go another direction. Two months of interviewing. A tour of where the checks were printed and even sat with a specialist I do not know what happened or why they would go through all that and waste their time and go another direction?? And to boot...benefits were good but salary was $15.00 an hour and NO over time. Receptionist make more money.

Interview Questions

• If a client was extreme upset and you already tried working with them how would you handle this?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (North Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I got an interview through a recruiter who secured it in about 3 days. The initial interview included a 1:1 with two different managers and a math test. The entire thing took about 2.5 hours and as soon as I was finished another interviewee was ready to go. The next step after passing the math test and two 1:1 was to meet with the CEO and do a short presentation. I declined before this meeting.

Interview Questions

• The math test overall was somewhat difficult. While it was simple algebra, having to force your brain into that mindset and then back to an interview situation was hard.   Answer Question

I realized sales was not for me.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Naperville, IL).

Interview

I applied online and about 1 week later I received an email asking if I was interested in the position still. I replied that I was and was sent a Math test. The test is basic math and only took about 15min. After I completed the test I received another email asking if I would be interested in a phone interview. I respond and just completed that portion of the hiring process. The next step is a face to face interview with the local office. From there I was told there is going to be training for 2-3 weeks and the a "classroom" like training in Rochester, New York.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer behavioral based questions. Remember when you answer these questions to give a specific example. Who was the person, what was the problem, how did you solve the problem? That is what they are looking for as an answer. Do not give a general answerm   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with my direct manager, the district sales manager. Very friendly, more of a conversation. After that, I interviewed with the zone manager and then went on a field ride with a future colleague for the day. After that, I had a final interview with the district sales manager in which I received a job offer.

Client Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

Interview process was not good. I was not given any date/time when they would do them. They came up to me and said time to interview. Would have been great to prepare and have time to clear your head before the interview. Unfortunately , I was thinking about what I was working on during the interview.

HRS Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

I only had one interview for this position but it is supposed to be a six month process with 5 interviews.

Negotiation

No negotiations