Paychex Core Payroll Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Core Payroll Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Passaic, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Passaic, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

I was Contacted by an internal recruiter who found me on a job site. I had a good conversation with her, and she explained the position really well. Next, I Took online test and did well. Met with hiring manager the next week. Had a field ride with a successful rep. On the team ( 4 hours ) - this was a really great way of asking a peer questions, and seeing if the job is going to be the right fit! Finally, I met with hiring manager's boss. I got a quick email saying I wasn't chosen- was a bit quick / rude, considering all I'd put in. Glad I didn't go there!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Core Payroll Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paychex in January 2012.

Interview

Personality test. Interviewed with District Manager then Zone Manager. Asked the typical question: Are you a hunter? After meeting with ZM, he said "call when you see fit". Which meant, follow up with us because we want to know if you have initiative. They want you to call because they will not call you even if they think you are a perfect fit. Bring a copy of your resume. They'll ask for it.

Interview Questions

• Not really. Very stereotypical with respect to sales questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at all.

Sales Representative - Core Payroll Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Dallas, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a corporate recruiter a few days later.
    Phone Interview: She went over the position and explained the interview process. Asked about my resume and she had a few "Can you recall a time when/where you...." questions - Remember to close the interview by asking if you are a good fit and next steps.

Next step is an assessment. I did not have to do the math test mentioned here at anytime during the process. I did the long, very long, personality/behavioral/scenario test. (I am also interviewing for a pharmaceutical sales position (pending), which used the same assessment. The difference was at the end. Where the pharm test ended the paychex continues with a planner type test. You are given a scenario like: You have a deal about to close with xy company, an issue with a current client whose threatening to leave, and also a very good referral received from a CPA. (Plus info on these companies is provided). It is Wednesday: Prioritize your schedule. You do this by dragging blocks to different parts of a 3 day planner. Not everything will fit on the schedule so you truly have to prioritize. This part took the longest for me, and because I was doing other things while taking the assessment, I actually ran out of time and did not answer the last 5-6 questions.

I was notified I passed the assessment and was scheduled for an interview a few days later.

First 1-on-1 interview: (with a sales manager) -- We went over my resume and i also was asked behavioral sales based questions. Nothing too hard and that can not be found here on Glassdoor. Know your resume and prepare well thought out answers. Excitement and enthusiasm is key. Dont always wait to the end to ask questions. Make it a conversation. Interview lasted: 35-40 minutes. It felt solid. My only insecurity was my lack of b2b sales exp. (I have a bachelors w/ less than a year of sales exp.) If you are in the same boat, communicate how coachable, personable, and determined you are. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went well and I was scheduled for another face-to- face with another sales manager:

Second 1-on-1 interview: This interview was all about me. Who I was as a person. How I handled situations, my background from highschool to present, my interest outside of work, my drive and determination. KNOW PAYCHEX! The products being pushed. Know you are the best person for the job and leave the interviewer feeling like you are it. Close the interview like closing a sell. Ask for the position. --- Follow up w/ Thank you email.

This went very well and I was scheduled for a field ride along with a sales rep.

Field ride along: Prepare about 15-20 questions. (Dont worry, you will have many more pop in your head throughout the day.) Treat this like an interview and remain professional but at ease. Realize he will report back to the sales manager hiring you. If you are worried about what you are suppose to do...ASK! "What should my role with you be today". It should be to 1. Observe 2. Learn and 3. Ask questions/receive feedback. After every customer interaction, recap in the car and at lunch by asking questions. Why did you do this? What will you do with that information? ..Get to know this person, and engage him/her. Field ride lasted about 6-7 hours.

Once back at the office I was asked to sit with the hiring manager. Update with what you learned and how it made you feel. Remember EXCITEMENT. Point out what stood out and compliment the sales rep. Explain what you learned. Close, close, and close again. At the end of the conversation I was offered the position.

TIPS:
    Dress professional
    Prepare but don't over prepare -- Keep it natural
    Smile
    Become and extrovert
    Show enthusiasm and excitement

Disclaimer: I was told that in most cases there is usually another interview with a higher up.

Interview Questions

• You keep getting a no from a customer at every angle you attempt to sell from. How do you work through objections? What would you do in this case?   2 Answers

Negotiation

None. KNOW THIS GOING IN! Paychex and there main competitor (who I declined an offer from) are known for there 30k range base salaries. I think if you have more experience you are offered 38k. I was offered A 36K base and of course the "perks" are included. Not major ones but just OK perks. Couple hundred bucks extra every pay period. Just know it is a sales job and the GOOD money comes from commissions. Base is simply a supplement for your basic human needs while you develop as a sales professional. This will either be my career for years or a resume builder for 2-4 years. It is well know Paychex/ADP are stepping stones to the more prestigious sales positions. Time will tell. Wish me luck!

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (San Antonio, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview with recruiter, in person interview with hiring manager, "ride along" with a successful rep to experience a "day in the life," interview with Zone Manager, then offer extended

Interview Questions

• Greatest accomplishment in college   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fair Lawn, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Fair Lawn, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Sent in my resume and almost immediately was contacted by a recruiter. Had a great conversation and she sent me the assessment. Recruiter called back within a day and told me I had an INCREDIBLE score on the test. They wanted to bring me in right away. Met with 1 Manager who told me I would be perfect; followed that with a ride along day where the rep implied I was a bit old for the position (?!?!). Recruiter called the next day and said she would be setting me up for my final interview in a week. Days went by ...no update. I called her ...nothing. I called the manager who initially interviewed me....nothing. I sent emails. Finally, the recruiter called and told me they were promoting someone from within.
    The next day I looked up the manager on LinkedIn and he had the job posted with the date and mentioned "Call me immediately for info on this great opportunity!".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself....
      How do you deal with a no....
      How would you describe your work ethic...   Answer Question