Paychex Core Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.2

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is a lot. Two phone interviews, a web recording a test and three in person interviews. It makes it really tough when you have another job and they aren't flexible around your current work schedule. This sucks because if your burning bridges with your current company and then don't get offered the job you're screwed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Seriously, the most bs rat race I've ever been through. They kept dragging me along making me jump through hoops, making me feel as if I had the job. I had an interview with the recruiter, then video interview, then skills test, and the next step was in-person interview (where I had to drive 2 hours to get to), and then ride along (another 2 hour trip), and if all of that wasn't enough I then had another interview in my area that I would be working remotely from. Also, they weren't very mindful that I had a job. They were rude and entitled. My advice to the company: Do not drag interviewees all the way through this lengthy process if you do not intend on hiring them. This put my current job in jeopardy nor was it worth the hassle.

Interview Questions

• -Sales quota questions
      -Sales process
      -Why Paychex? (Why not xyx?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Chesapeake, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Reached out via Linkedin to the district sales manager and got a message back immediately asking for a phone conversation. Spoke with him on the phone, quite informal phone interview but immediately had a rapport. Call lasted about 20 minutes and set up a face to face with him and the area VP via webcast.

Attended 2nd interview face to face and spoke for over an hour. Seemed to go over very well and hiring manager really seemed to like me and put off other candidates for me. Got to the webcast with the VP, another hit! Went extremely well and they moved me on to a field ride the very next day with a newly hired rep. I was extremely flexible with all their demands and tried to accommodate them.

Went on the field ride, spent the entire day in the field and got to know the ins and outs of daily responsibilities as well as company culture. At the end of the field ride, met briefly with the hiring manager again. Provided them with a 30-60-90 day business plan, 3 glowing references, a brag book etc. The manager told me it would be at least another week before getting back to me or any decisions were made. Granted he had 2 vacant areas! I come from a pharma/medical sales background and believe he was hesitant to hire me in fears of me leaving after investing the time and money in training.

3 weeks have passed since my field ride. I have sent a handwritten thank you, a follow up call in which we spoke on the phone and he still seemed highly interested in my candidacy. Since our phone conversation....2+ weeks....nothing! I find it extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate that a follow up on his behalf has not taken place. I spent almost 2 full days of my time with paychex and they can't even bother to tell me yay or nay! I say NAY! Good luck paychex!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Akron, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Preliminary call from HR, then set up an online interview with prompted questions that were being video recorded live (just you staring at your computer, not face to face with anyone).
    Considering I applied for an in-person sales position, I wanted an in-person interview to sell myself and my personality. The recorded interview process was so distracting and uncomfortable and was completely contradictory to the position itself.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a previous position that was sales driven and you were required to meet quotas... How successful were you in doing so, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Stamford, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was very interactive. The DSM was extremely knowledgable and passionate about the company. He really sold me on the job. I enjoyed seeing someone truly believe in the company. The process was seamless. I really enjoyed the field ride portion as well. It gives you an opportunity to view how a typical day would be like.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to be in sales/ some questions toward my college degree/ my internship and professional experience   Answer Question

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Lengthy process but very effective. They want to make sure that they are just as a good fit for you as you are to them. They take you through steps, phone interview, interviews with different managers and ride along with a current rep. They look for sales experience, confidence and a close.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Phone Interview: Spoke with a recruiter, she then gave me an assessment. Did the assessment and and was moved on to meet with 2 managers only one did not show up. After my first interview, they moved me to the ride along and met with the other sales manager. Was told that there were no reservations about me and had to wait until the end of the week. That day came came and passed and still nothing. Got an automated email, with no feedback, saying they were moving forward with others. Was told by the sales manager I would be contacted either way personally. They truly made me feel like I was someone they could work with. To this day, I still have no feedback. I tried emailing everyone I dealt with and still got nothing. If you can't give feedback in an interview, what can someone expect working for you? Could have been my test? I feel they wouldn't move forward at that point.

They are also very disorganized, after doing that interview, I received another email from a recruiter asking I'd be available for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current company?
      Tell me about your ride along? Hoe'd it go?
      Why do you want to work for Paychex?
      Tell me about your background?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Miami, FL).

Interview

2 Months long, 36K base plus commision, a lot of cold calling paired with wear and tear on your car. I did a ton of research on this position and seems like a great opportunity for someone out of school, but was offered a job with a base of 65k so I had to pass as it seems this position was very turn and burn which didn't fit me.

Interview Questions

• Tell about your all the way back from high school. How much do you want to make?   1 Answer

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone screening, followed by a personality/skills assessment, then a ride-along with a current rep, and wrapped up with two-to-three in person interviews with district managers and higher. The interview process is lengthy and average in terms of difficulty. It is critical that you display confidence, charisma, and speak clearly during interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Sales Representative for Paychex?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and 3 face to face interviews. Then you had to present a sales pitch of what you previously sold. I had a ride day and its a little odd but they expect you to be clean shaven if you are a man. No earrings and no facial hair at all!