Paychex Core Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Core Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Paychex

3.2

Core Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Phone Interview with HR
In Person Interview with Direct District Sales Manager and if that goes well,
In Person Interview with the Zone Manager who will give recommendation to DSM.
Ride Day with Rep

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have?
    How do you handle rejection?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is a lot. Two phone interviews, a web recording a test and three in person interviews. It makes it really tough when you have another job and they aren't flexible around your current work schedule. This sucks because if your burning bridges with your current company and then don't get offered the job you're screwed.

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Literally the longest and most painful interview process imaginable. I will count how many interviews I had to go through. 1) I got a call from the recruiter and we did a short meet and greet and she asked me a few basic questions. 2) Then I got invited to do a video interview. Asked more in depth sales related questions 3) invited to do a face to face interview with two managers 4) invited to do a ride along where I had to miss a day of work which is really inconvenient for most people and the rep I did my ride along with wasn’t even going to take me out to lunch or pay for me! We didn’t eat lunch until 3:30 because he was so stressed about “hunting” new business. 5) another follow up phone interview with the manager about my ride along 6) an interview with one of the higher up managers out of the Rochester office. I was told this would be the final interview and that they’d make a decision. Two weeks went by and heard nothing. 6) got an email from the recruiter that two OTHER managers wanted to interview me over the phone. At this point, after seeing what the sales rep had to go through on my ride along, and the extensive and unnecessary method of interviews, I declined. I have been through interview processes for multiple sales jobs such as Pharmaceuticals, and the MAX amount of interviews they do is 3, so I can’t really believe Paychex needs to do that many “to make sure they find the right fit” like come on! Not to mention, the sales rep I went out with, drove like 100 miles a day on his own car. His $500 reimbursement was not even enough to cover his fuel charges and insurance he told me! After all this I realized this is not a company I would want to work for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Chesapeake, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Reached out via Linkedin to the district sales manager and got a message back immediately asking for a phone conversation. Spoke with him on the phone, quite informal phone interview but immediately had a rapport. Call lasted about 20 minutes and set up a face to face with him and the area VP via webcast.

Attended 2nd interview face to face and spoke for over an hour. Seemed to go over very well and hiring manager really seemed to like me and put off other candidates for me. Got to the webcast with the VP, another hit! Went extremely well and they moved me on to a field ride the very next day with a newly hired rep. I was extremely flexible with all their demands and tried to accommodate them.

Went on the field ride, spent the entire day in the field and got to know the ins and outs of daily responsibilities as well as company culture. At the end of the field ride, met briefly with the hiring manager again. Provided them with a 30-60-90 day business plan, 3 glowing references, a brag book etc. The manager told me it would be at least another week before getting back to me or any decisions were made. Granted he had 2 vacant areas! I come from a pharma/medical sales background and believe he was hesitant to hire me in fears of me leaving after investing the time and money in training.

3 weeks have passed since my field ride. I have sent a handwritten thank you, a follow up call in which we spoke on the phone and he still seemed highly interested in my candidacy. Since our phone conversation....2+ weeks....nothing! I find it extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate that a follow up on his behalf has not taken place. I spent almost 2 full days of my time with paychex and they can't even bother to tell me yay or nay! I say NAY! Good luck paychex!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Akron, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Preliminary call from HR, then set up an online interview with prompted questions that were being video recorded live (just you staring at your computer, not face to face with anyone).
    Considering I applied for an in-person sales position, I wanted an in-person interview to sell myself and my personality. The recorded interview process was so distracting and uncomfortable and was completely contradictory to the position itself.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a previous position that was sales driven and you were required to meet quotas... How successful were you in doing so, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Baltimore, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

multiple interviews plus spending a day in the field with current sales rep. usually they are looking to fill more than one position at a time, and will be conducting multiple interviews in a day. time between interviews can be days or a week apart as well.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you were not prepared for a sales presentation, and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Stamford, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was very interactive. The DSM was extremely knowledgable and passionate about the company. He really sold me on the job. I enjoyed seeing someone truly believe in the company. The process was seamless. I really enjoyed the field ride portion as well. It gives you an opportunity to view how a typical day would be like.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to be in sales/ some questions toward my college degree/ my internship and professional experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Seriously, the most bs rat race I've ever been through. They kept dragging me along making me jump through hoops, making me feel as if I had the job. I had an interview with the recruiter, then video interview, then skills test, and the next step was in-person interview (where I had to drive 2 hours to get to), and then ride along (another 2 hour trip), and if all of that wasn't enough I then had another interview in my area that I would be working remotely from. Also, they weren't very mindful that I had a job. They were rude and entitled. My advice to the company: Do not drag interviewees all the way through this lengthy process if you do not intend on hiring them. This put my current job in jeopardy nor was it worth the hassle.

Interview Questions

• -Sales quota questions
      -Sales process
      -Why Paychex? (Why not xyx?)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Interviewing process does take 1-2 months. Be prepared to have your ducks in order when interviewing for this company. I studied the company, its products and services, and the industry. Phone interview is standard, got the call back to meet with manager. I knew the interview was going well when the manager started talking about compensation, what the job was like (in detail), and what to expect. This interview lasted 90 minutes. Took their math test and personality test. Next, received a call back to do a ride day with current rep, we hit it off and it went very well. Then met with another manager in different office. Final step was to have an interview with the Zone manager. Waited 10-15 minutes in their office for final decision, was made an offer at that point. I asked to negotiate the base, which was denied. The manager said all reps start at $38K base. I have 7+ years of sales experience. I accepted the position. The economy affected my sales career and I needed to get back in the door with a great company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a challenge you overcame with a difficult client?   1 Answer
    • Tell me why you left your last employers?   1 Answer
    • Tell me what your greatest success was in your sales career?   1 Answer

Negotiation

$38K base, no negotiation, but I asked. Manager said company policy. No room for negotiation for base. Surprised, but not surprised since it's big corporate. Bottom line, this is a demanding job and the turnover is evident. However, you'll lose even more reps that are using Paychex for experience and have no true loyalty since there are higher paying sales positions in the workplace. And all the reps that get hired by Paychex know it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Pretty extensive process. Essentially you have an initial phone interview, online assessment, in person interview with Sales Manager, in person interview with another Sales Manager, and then finally an interview with a VP of sales.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negot. Straight base salary + commission