Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

182 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on Thursday night and received an email on Friday morning from a recruiter requesting I complete an online assessment and a video interview. I completed these on Friday night. The video interview was nerve-wracking and weird; I felt this was not the best way to learn about me. I was surprised when I received another email from the recruiter on Monday requesting a phone interview the next morning. The phone interview with the recruiter went very well and I was left with the impression I would move forward in the process. I received a generic rejection email two days later. For Paychex to emphasize during the interview process how they believe in developing employees, it is a huge disappointment that they took the lazy way out by sending a generic rejection email instead of telling me why I was not chosen for the next step.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview w/ territory manager & top selling rep, phone interview, 8 hour ride along, phone interview, online assessment test, in person interview with territory manager and regional manager

HR Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I went through a phone interview. An in person interview, and another phone interview. The phone interview was basic get to know. The in person was behavioral, and the last phone interview was behavioral as well. I spoke to the hiring manager, and was informed he would get back to me; as I was his top pick; and he never called back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Marlton, NJ).

Interview

I was in constant contact with the recruiter, they were quick to answer the phone and always called me and e-mailed me immediately. They were also prompt on LinkedIn messaging. After taking and passing the video and online tests, I drove over 2 hours for a 30 minute interview. I was told to wear a full suit and tie - nobody wears ties anymore unless its a wedding or funeral - but I uncomfortably did it anyway. After observing how "things are done" in the office and what is expected, I can see they are taking their sales tips and tactics straight from the film "Boiler Room". I was expecting Vin Diesel to come out and tell me to "Get out of here!" at any moment, which I gladly would have. It appears to be a cutthroat outfit with money being the only motivator regardless of ethics. I still followed up with e-mails and phone calls within 12 hours. After that, everyone became non-existent. The once "at the ready" recruiter stopped responding to all forms of communication and the interviewer never responded to emails or calls - even though he told me I would be moving to the next round and promised a follow-up call the following Monday. One of the most unprofessional "professional" companies to have ever interviewed with. Steer clear.

Interview Questions

• Asked 3 times - What do you look for when you interview people?   Answer Question

IT Operations Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 managers, 1 technical question about UNIX which was easy. Just generic questions about work experience and personality. Would of liked feedback, I thought that I did good. Did not like the generic decline email

Interview Questions

• How do you remove a file in unix   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process was pretty fast. I submitted an application via company website after being recruited by their competition but wanted to pursue Paychex. Received an invitation for a digtial interview and then was invited for an in person interview with two sales managers. Interview went well and I was enthusiastic about joining the team until the next interview came around which included a field ride along for the day. Many things that I noticed about this particular office-
    1. The managers were 45 minutes late, I was asked to arrive at 8:30am and the interview didn't start until 9:15-9:20am. That shows there is no respect for my time. During the interview the district manager tried to intimidate and scare me out of the job which was terrible, didn't intimidate me and an automatic indicator that there was no interest in my resume. Paychex advertises themselves from outdated rankings that were received in 2007 for being one of the best companies to work for, there isn't anything up to date from 2007 that proves that statistic. The company claims that potential candidates must have outside b2b sales expereince which I possessed six years of, however the office had tons of fresh out of college students with absolutely no sales experience. There was zero culture diversity at this office as well. At the end of the day, I sent a thank you email just to be professional to the whole team and did not get a response, at that point I became completely uninterested in the company and the feeling was mutual. I found out that I didn't get the job two days later by seeing a LinkedIn post by the manager who interviewed me, knowing that we were connected, about searching for an individual to join the team. Seemed extremely shady and unprofessional in my opinion. A follow up email to indicate that I didn't get the job would've been more professional. At the end of the day, Paychex may have been a good company to work for a decade ago but I see a company like this going as a joke now and going down the drain. Zero ethics and a completely unprofessional staff.

National Sales Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

First shadowed a NSS representative, sitting in with an extra headset listening to calls that they handled. after 30 minutes of shadowing I was moved to then do 2 rounds of interviews with various managers.

Interview Questions

• What would be your biggest challenge to being successful in this position   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2017.

Interview

Very slow, I felt as if the recruiter was not helpful whatsoever in the interview process. The process involves first taking an online test, then a video interview screening then an interview with the manager to then be ask to do a field day with a sales rep, but not being told it would be a full day 9-5 taking a full day out of my time-no consideration, then after a wasted full day never to be called emailed or heard back from anyone after my numerous calls emails inquiring as to what the next step would be..Needless to say I find it very unprofessional and inconsiderate to not at the very least have a final follow up

Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Neck, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Great Neck, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Not worth the time and resources you will expend. Two phone interviews, a very long skills test, a video interview, and then a personal interview hastily rescheduled to location hours away from where I would be based. The person interviewing me showed up at the interview over half an hour late and only came to get me when I peered out of the room a number of times. His phone kept ringing during interview and he kept looking at pictures on his iwatch or samsung watch or whatever. Unengaged rude during interview. He didn't even give me his business card so I didn't even bother to write a thank you note. For all the good things I hear about this company not surprised there is constant high turnover.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in College during your spare time?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Tampa Palms, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Very professional, and friendly environment. It was both a professional but relaxed atmosphere. The interviewer was direct. Let me know all about the job and also sold the company as a friendly place were their best interest was to build you up as much as possible