Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Maple Grove, MN).

Interview

The Interviewer was 35 minutes late. His receptionist kept calling him and she never got a response. When he arrived he didnt seem apologetic at all. Seemed uninterested and careless

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Seriously, the most bs rat race I've ever been through. They kept dragging me along making me jump through hoops, making me feel as if I had the job. I had an interview with the recruiter, then video interview, then skills test, and the next step was in-person interview (where I had to drive 2 hours to get to), and then ride along (another 2 hour trip), and if all of that wasn't enough I then had another interview in my area that I would be working remotely from. Also, they weren't very mindful that I had a job. They were rude and entitled. My advice to the company: Do not drag interviewees all the way through this lengthy process if you do not intend on hiring them. This put my current job in jeopardy nor was it worth the hassle.

Interview Questions

• -Sales quota questions
      -Sales process
      -Why Paychex? (Why not xyx?)
      Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Email from Recruiter. Phone call with recruiter/panel interview.
    If you're skilled enough and good enough at your craft don't waste your time with this company. I can't speak for the company as a whole but the interviewers I interacted with were low-energy and gave off a "loser vibe". If you're already a skilled sales professional there are other roles out there that pay much more. I don't recommend this particular office. Highly unprofessional staff.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied and immediately went to LinkedIn to connect with the recruiters in the area. I received a call the same day I applied and was given a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Recruiter. We seemed to hit it off and she recommended me for an in-person interview with sales managers.

1st Interview: Attendees: Recruiter and one of the sales managers. Went great! Had excellent rapport and they seemed to like what I brought to the table. Said they had no doubt that I could do the job and recommended me for a 2nd interview.

2nd Interview: Attendees: One of the other Sales Managers. Again, went great! Had excellent rapport and she was comfortable moving on to the next step, which was a ride-along with a Sales Rep. Talked about the job, her success, college football, etc. During the interview, I did express some concern with having to travel out of town for 2 solid weeks (including the weekend) for training being that I have 2 young children at home (5-months and 3-years old). She mentioned that she had reps in the past that would come home the weekend in-between if needed, but they could accommodate if needed.

**After this interview, I spoke with the recruiter to schedule the ride-along. She also wanted to schedule the final interview a day or so later with the Zone Manager - who oversees about 5-6 states - as soon as possible. The recruiter said that they would probably be looking to make me an offer and wanted to get everything finalized in the next couple weeks, and that the meeting with the Zone Manager was merely a formality in the process. We scheduled the ride-along as well as the final interview with the Zone Manager.

Ride-Along: Met with the rep at the office and we talked a bit as he prepared for his day. Went out on a few appointments and made a few drop-ins. Talked about the job in more detail along the way. He was excellent at his job and I can see why they sent me out with this particular rep.

3rd Interview: Attendees: Zone Manager. From the beginning, I didn't get the "just a formality" vibe. She seemed a little rushed and almost disinterested in my answers for the 2 or 3 questions she asked. I basically felt like her mind was already made up from the beginning and it wasn't in my favor. One of my follow up questions was again ask about the 2-week training. Her response was "It's a solid 2 weeks. If that's an issue then that is something we would need to consider". Also heard as "I know it's an issue for you, so I've already decided that you don't need to worry about it".

**All-in-all, this seems to be a very good company if you can get in before you have any family responsibilities. I can only speak from what I was told, but the commission/bonus potential seems to be there. The environment is extremely professional and they are well-known in the field. I may be in the minority here, but I don't know many families with children that can spare one of them being gone for 14 days straight. I understand the importance and the benefit of the training, but I've never heard of any Fortune companies that have that requirement at the Sales Rep level.

Also, being that I was under the impression the last meeting was "a formality", I may have mentally let off the gas a little. I take responsibility for that. I've been in the field long enough to know that if you're being sent out with a rep for a ride-along, the company has most likely made their decision to bring you on...otherwise they wouldn't waste their rep's time.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Standard "describe a time when..." or "how do you handle...". I have over 16 years of sales experience so their questions weren't anything I haven't answered or done before.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Chesapeake, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Reached out via Linkedin to the district sales manager and got a message back immediately asking for a phone conversation. Spoke with him on the phone, quite informal phone interview but immediately had a rapport. Call lasted about 20 minutes and set up a face to face with him and the area VP via webcast.

Attended 2nd interview face to face and spoke for over an hour. Seemed to go over very well and hiring manager really seemed to like me and put off other candidates for me. Got to the webcast with the VP, another hit! Went extremely well and they moved me on to a field ride the very next day with a newly hired rep. I was extremely flexible with all their demands and tried to accommodate them.

Went on the field ride, spent the entire day in the field and got to know the ins and outs of daily responsibilities as well as company culture. At the end of the field ride, met briefly with the hiring manager again. Provided them with a 30-60-90 day business plan, 3 glowing references, a brag book etc. The manager told me it would be at least another week before getting back to me or any decisions were made. Granted he had 2 vacant areas! I come from a pharma/medical sales background and believe he was hesitant to hire me in fears of me leaving after investing the time and money in training.

3 weeks have passed since my field ride. I have sent a handwritten thank you, a follow up call in which we spoke on the phone and he still seemed highly interested in my candidacy. Since our phone conversation....2+ weeks....nothing! I find it extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate that a follow up on his behalf has not taken place. I spent almost 2 full days of my time with paychex and they can't even bother to tell me yay or nay! I say NAY! Good luck paychex!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Akron, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Preliminary call from HR, then set up an online interview with prompted questions that were being video recorded live (just you staring at your computer, not face to face with anyone).
    Considering I applied for an in-person sales position, I wanted an in-person interview to sell myself and my personality. The recorded interview process was so distracting and uncomfortable and was completely contradictory to the position itself.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a previous position that was sales driven and you were required to meet quotas... How successful were you in doing so, etc.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

First there is a phone call with the recruiter/talent acquisition specialist. Then there is a video interview. You are asked about 5 to 8 questions, and you are recording yourself and then submitting. You can try a few practice questions to get the feel of speaking into the camera and seeing yourself as you are being recorded. When the real deal comes around, after you read the question, you can not sit there and prepare for ever, the 30 second timer starts. You have about 3 minutes to answer each question. The questions range from how are you a good fit for this company, to describe a time in the past where you were successful (details).
    Next comes an assessment which asks some personality questions, but also some math questions and grammar questions. Very easy if you are a college grad or can pay attention.
    Then there is the face to face interview with a few people. It's basically to see if you'd fit on the team and to see if they like you because above all, they need someone they can feel like they trust and would absorb the training and information that is thrown at you if you do get hired. I believe if you then get invited back for the field ride along, you might be in, unless someone doesn't get a good vibe from you.

Interview Questions

• A time in your career that you are very proud of. What did you accomplish? Explain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Stamford, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was very interactive. The DSM was extremely knowledgable and passionate about the company. He really sold me on the job. I enjoyed seeing someone truly believe in the company. The process was seamless. I really enjoyed the field ride portion as well. It gives you an opportunity to view how a typical day would be like.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to be in sales/ some questions toward my college degree/ my internship and professional experience   Answer Question

Enterprise Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Very professional folks, top notch human beings. I applied on Paychex's website, was contacted by a great recruiter, had an initial screening and then a phone interview with recruiter. Following that, had phone interviews at the Manager and Director level, leading to an in-person interview with them. This company is very focused on making sure to get the right candidate for the job. Thorough process. Declined due to receiving a better offer, but wouldn't have hesitated joining the team had I not gotten that. This division is going places.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions for a sales interview, nothing particularly challenging   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hudson, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Hudson, OH).

Interview

Started with the typical HR phone interview then personality test. Next would be to meet with the direct hiring manager. Once that goes well you do a field day/ride along with one of their senior reps. If that should go well then you meet most likely again with the hiring manager and one of their counterparts. Last stage is to meet with the Zone Manager and that goes well which is more of a formality you should receive in offer. Well in my case I didn't get the offer because they felt I was to over qualified for that position (which I was) and to my surprise the referred me over to their 401k division which deals with the current and larger accounts.

Not only is the unusual for a company to do and I was flattered, but I had to start the whole process over again with speaking to a new HR person then the direct hiring manager and ultimately in the end I didn't get the job which came to be a complete waste of my time and no reasons or even a response back as to why. They made me feel that I would be perfect for this role and assured me how quick the process would be this time and sorry for all of the steps and time I had taken. At the end of the day make better a clearly decisions when considering a candidate. All in all the whole process was two months and total of 8 interviews and nothing!! I mean really!! Wow

Interview Questions

• Typical describe a time and how you overcame or worked through it. Also the Star format was used quite a bit.   Answer Question