Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 4, 2017

3.1

167 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Core Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Literally the longest and most painful interview process imaginable. I will count how many interviews I had to go through. 1) I got a call from the recruiter and we did a short meet and greet and she asked me a few basic questions. 2) Then I got invited to do a video interview. Asked more in depth sales related questions 3) invited to do a face to face interview with two managers 4) invited to do a ride along where I had to miss a day of work which is really inconvenient for most people and the rep I did my ride along with wasn’t even going to take me out to lunch or pay for me! We didn’t eat lunch until 3:30 because he was so stressed about “hunting” new business. 5) another follow up phone interview with the manager about my ride along 6) an interview with one of the higher up managers out of the Rochester office. I was told this would be the final interview and that they’d make a decision. Two weeks went by and heard nothing. 6) got an email from the recruiter that two OTHER managers wanted to interview me over the phone. At this point, after seeing what the sales rep had to go through on my ride along, and the extensive and unnecessary method of interviews, I declined. I have been through interview processes for multiple sales jobs such as Pharmaceuticals, and the MAX amount of interviews they do is 3, so I can’t really believe Paychex needs to do that many “to make sure they find the right fit” like come on! Not to mention, the sales rep I went out with, drove like 100 miles a day on his own car. His $500 reimbursement was not even enough to cover his fuel charges and insurance he told me! After all this I realized this is not a company I would want to work for.

Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (High Point, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a wonderful recruiter who helped me through every step of the process. I completed an online interview screening, an online assessment, two in-person interviews, as well as a day where I completed a ride along with a current sales rep to ensure that I was familiar with the job expectations and ready for the challenge. The final interview included a "value prop" presentation where I had to research and put together a product presentation for a client. The managers challenged and encouraged me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Explain your work ethic through high school, college, and grad school. How does this show who you are as an individual, and how will this carry over into your drive as a sales rep?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Louisville, KY) in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was very professional. I met with one of the Managers and he was not very professional. There were negative remarks made regarding Paychex policies. I decided not to pursue employment after meeting with him.

Outbound Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Louisville, KY) in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was professional that set up the interview. Very poor management that interviewed me. This office had tremendous high turnover and I can see why. I also thought that a particular manager made negative comments about the company. This was my cue not to accept the position.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

This was very long process and rightfully so. They invest a great deal in you for the training in New York. I was interviewed for a payroll sales position and then was introduced to a 401k manager instead, did the ride day, and two phone interviews with the DSM and Zone Manager. I was then told no, but they really liked me, so I received a second opportunity with the payroll division. I, again, went on the ride day and had a phone interview with the DSM. I was then offered the job.

All in:
    Recruiter 20 minute phone interview to gauge communication skills and ability for position.

Then a digital video interview which was extremely uncomfortable, but just be confident!

I then came in for a in person interview. Then was invited back for a follow up in person interview. Went on two field rides, and had a total of 3 more phone interviews.

Highlights: Jody was my recruiter for the positions and she was amazing. Extremely helpful and comforting throughout the process. Additionally, my conversation with the DSM was phenomenal and a truly enlightening experience. He brought out the true reasons why I wanted to work for Paychex and why I can succeed in the role.

This was an extremely long process, but was the job I wanted and I was willing to go through it all. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why would you be better for this role than someone with more experience?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be good for outside sales?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest 3 character traits and what are 3 character traits you could see impacting your success?   Answer Question
    • Why Paychex?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Marlton, NJ).

Interview

I was in constant contact with the recruiter, they were quick to answer the phone and always called me and e-mailed me immediately. They were also prompt on LinkedIn messaging. After taking and passing the video and online tests, I drove over 2 hours for a 30 minute interview. I was told to wear a full suit and tie - nobody wears ties anymore unless its a wedding or funeral - but I uncomfortably did it anyway. After observing how "things are done" in the office and what is expected, I can see they are taking their sales tips and tactics straight from the film "Boiler Room". I was expecting Vin Diesel to come out and tell me to "Get out of here!" at any moment, which I gladly would have. It appears to be a cutthroat outfit with money being the only motivator regardless of ethics. I still followed up with e-mails and phone calls within 12 hours. After that, everyone became non-existent. The once "at the ready" recruiter stopped responding to all forms of communication and the interviewer never responded to emails or calls - even though he told me I would be moving to the next round and promised a follow-up call the following Monday. One of the most unprofessional "professional" companies to have ever interviewed with. Steer clear.

Interview Questions

• Asked 3 times - What do you look for when you interview people?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process was pretty fast. I submitted an application via company website after being recruited by their competition but wanted to pursue Paychex. Received an invitation for a digtial interview and then was invited for an in person interview with two sales managers. Interview went well and I was enthusiastic about joining the team until the next interview came around which included a field ride along for the day. Many things that I noticed about this particular office-
    1. The managers were 45 minutes late, I was asked to arrive at 8:30am and the interview didn't start until 9:15-9:20am. That shows there is no respect for my time. During the interview the district manager tried to intimidate and scare me out of the job which was terrible, didn't intimidate me and an automatic indicator that there was no interest in my resume. Paychex advertises themselves from outdated rankings that were received in 2007 for being one of the best companies to work for, there isn't anything up to date from 2007 that proves that statistic. The company claims that potential candidates must have outside b2b sales expereince which I possessed six years of, however the office had tons of fresh out of college students with absolutely no sales experience. There was zero culture diversity at this office as well. At the end of the day, I sent a thank you email just to be professional to the whole team and did not get a response, at that point I became completely uninterested in the company and the feeling was mutual. I found out that I didn't get the job two days later by seeing a LinkedIn post by the manager who interviewed me, knowing that we were connected, about searching for an individual to join the team. Seemed extremely shady and unprofessional in my opinion. A follow up email to indicate that I didn't get the job would've been more professional. At the end of the day, Paychex may have been a good company to work for a decade ago but I see a company like this going as a joke now and going down the drain. Zero ethics and a completely unprofessional staff.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

phone interview w a recruiter and a video interview and a test and a personal interview and fieldtrip w a rep. There will be a training and exams as well.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2017.

Interview

Very slow, I felt as if the recruiter was not helpful whatsoever in the interview process. The process involves first taking an online test, then a video interview screening then an interview with the manager to then be ask to do a field day with a sales rep, but not being told it would be a full day 9-5 taking a full day out of my time-no consideration, then after a wasted full day never to be called emailed or heard back from anyone after my numerous calls emails inquiring as to what the next step would be..Needless to say I find it very unprofessional and inconsiderate to not at the very least have a final follow up

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was typical, I had five total interviews beginning with a phone interview. Personality/IQ test, and most importantly the final phone interview with the zone manager over the area I was applying for.