Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

Very rigorous process involving at least three different interviews with multiple people; a ride along; phone interview with recruiter followed by in person interview with 2 managers followed by a ride along with a current sales rep followed by another interview with some manager

Interview Questions

• What characteristics from your previous job makes you a good fit for this job?   1 Answer

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Aurora, CO) in April 2012.

Interview

Four interviews were too many. i found the whole process to be arbitrary and uninteresting. The management at the time were incompetent and less knowledgeable than I was. i was hired and sexually harassed during my entire two an half year tenure and no one did anything to protect my rights.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS).

Interview

The interview process has not been good at all , if you are thinking about interviewing with this company think twice and good luck,I'm so glad I didn't take a position with this company

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in August 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen followed by an online assessment, which was in turn followed by another phone screen. I honestly got the feeling the second phone screen was accidentally duplicated and not by design.

After a day or so I was contacted back and was asked to come in for an interview. I met with the sales manager and things went very well, most of the questions were situational and required a final resolution.

After that interview I joined a current sales rep in the field for an afternoon. It was a great opportunity to get a full picture of what the role would entail, after this I had a final interview with the Territory Sales Manager.

I quickly followed up to thank them for the opportunity to interview which is when I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about what you will be doing in this role?   1 Answer
    • What would your previous manager say about your performance?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Base is extremely competitive with potential to more than double it.

Client Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (San Ramon, CA).

Interview

The phone interview was a solid 20-30 minutes. I was asked a good 20 questions. Be prepared with stories from past experiences and be very specific. They are huge on specifics. The face to face panel interview was a full hour with God knows how many questions. Insane!!!! I have never been to a more ridiculous interview in my life for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• What challenge would you face in the next position after the one you are applying to?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2014.

Interview

Recruiter calls to set up interview over phone. Then you interview again with the recruiter. Then you take a skills test/personality which is pass or fail... Then you have a phone interview with a District Sales Manager. Then you go in person to meet with the District Sales Manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was standard, no negotiation. Excellent earning potential! Great benefits!

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in October 2010.

Interview

Do not apply for employment with Paychex unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you don't mind it being wasted. The process starts innocent enough with an online application and a phone recrutier calling you, but after that, Paychex is in a world of its own. The phone recruiter will send you a Microsoft Word document called a "Career History Form". This is a detailed timeline of your life from high school to today that includes classes you took, groups you belong(ed) to and interests you have. From here, you will fill this form out and send it back to the recrutier so they can then interview you on everything you just filled out. If you "pass" this part of the exam your information will be forwarded onto a district manager.

I arrived to the interview with a District Manager where I was immediately presented with a math skills test. The important thing to know about this test is that it is 50 questions long and you are only given 16 minuted to take the exam. The strategy is to do every easy/quick problem you can find and do as many of the questions as you can (it doesn't matter if you leave questions blank). After this, the DM will interview you and ask you again about your life from high school until today. They will ask you why you made certain decisions in your life and why you came to those decisions.

If you get past the DM, you will be given yet another test. This is a Caliper test that measures logical reasoning as well as your personality. The test is 150 questions, but is untimed.

If you get past this exam you will then have to meet with another DM in another office outside of the one in which you are applying (for me roughly 20 miles away). More of the same questions that the first DM asked you and I'm not quite sure why they have this process. Again, they will ask you about your life since high school and how you got to where you are today.

Still with me? Okay because here's where the fun starts. Paychex asks that you shadow a current sales representative for an entire 8am-5pm day. You will go on End User Presentations, meet with CPA's, meet with personal bankers and meet with clients. From here, the DM you originally met with will follow up with the sales rep you rode with and ask them if they feel you would be a good fit for the role.

Finally, my last interview was with a Zone Manager that Paychex asked that I drive 90 miles, EACH WAY, to meet with. The Zone Manager asks you how you like the company so far, asks you to define certain words and how they would relate to the job and asks about why they should hire you over anyone else.

At the end of my interview with the Zone Manager, I asked if I had earned his recommendation for the sales representative position, which he dodged by answering "You have provided me with the information I need to form a decision." The Zone Manager then LIED to my face by saying that the original DM would have the final say in if I was hired or not and would call me with his decision. I thought I was a lock for the position considering the DM told me, and I quote "I would hire you on the spot if I could. Unfortunately, there are more steps in the process so I can't."

Two days later I received a call from the original phone recruiter telling me that I did not earn the recommendation of the Zone Manager and therefore would not be offered the position. I tried asking why this was and Paychex could not even provide me with a reason why. You would think that after putting in a month of your time, driving hours to meet with various managers, taking multiple exams and giving an entire day of your time for a field ride you would be at least given a reason why they didn't offer you the position. But no. Not at Paychex. Spineless corporate America at its finest!

Bottom line: Don't interview here. They ask for too much of your time, resourses and patience all to be spineless and cowardly at the end.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2009.

Interview

Math test, personality test, interview with hiring manager, field ride, interview with regional manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not really applicable everyone normally got the same starting salary based on position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Orlando, FL) in May 2010.

Interview

Absolutely THE WORST interview process I have ever experienced!!. First I was taken into a room to take a math test. The test consisted of 50 questions and it was timed for 16 mins. (that wasn't as bad because I knew about the test going in). Of course when you're done, you have no idea of how well you did or not because they don't share the results with you. Afterwards, I was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. I am used to getting the question, " tell us about yourself"...These guys took it to a new level..One mgr asked me to tell them my life's story from birth until now (i kid u not). Another mgr interrupted by saying that would be too far back and to talk about my life from high school and go forward. I was asked very personal questions that NOTHING to do with the job. They basically picked apart and gave opinions on MY life. It was highly unprofessional and would never consider working there if asked to. When I finally got to ask a question, they were very short with me and basically concluded by saying that old thanks for coming. I guess my life was not interesting enough and didn't fit into their mold. The initial HR rep with whom I spoke with was awesome but the panel interview definitely was a joke. Anyone interviewing there should definitely be prepared to dissect your life for the benefit of applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• I know you mentioned that you moved away about 20 yrs ago for personal reasons, but please tell us why you moved away and why you moved back?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your life from high school going forward that brought you to us today?   Answer Question