Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was typical, I had five total interviews beginning with a phone interview. Personality/IQ test, and most importantly the final phone interview with the zone manager over the area I was applying for.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Tampa Palms, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Very professional, and friendly environment. It was both a professional but relaxed atmosphere. The interviewer was direct. Let me know all about the job and also sold the company as a friendly place were their best interest was to build you up as much as possible

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in March 2017.

Interview

Person to Person. Thought I was interviewing for Paychex...not the case it was a sister company. Decent opportunity...maybe just very low base salary and they only sell one product. Not sure how the overall company atmosphere is. I was put in a small side office

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit for Paychex?   1 Answer

401k Service Partner I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I got a request to come in for an interview. I accepted. The interview was about a half an hour. I received a job offer before I left work that day. The interview was at 8 am.

Interview Questions

• What methods do I use to de-escalate an angry caller?   1 Answer

Retirement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Edison, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Mediocre experience, leading to a horrible final interview, with a rude/condescending individual. My first contact was speaking to a recruiter who gave me details about the role and asked a few questions regarding my background. Next I had a video interview than was prompted to take a competency test online in the following days, which was fairly easy in order to gauge basic math, and problem solving skills. We set up a second interview with an individual who wasn’t on the job long (About 4 months in), which was no big deal.

The interviewer asked more questions about my background and what I do in my current role, I imagine looking to align my experience with the role. The position was 100% cold calling existing accounts to set appointments in order to sell retirement solutions to clients. The next step was a “field day” with a representative in the field. I went on the field day to see what a day in the role was really like. I went on the field day with one representative and met the team for essentially a full day (9 to about 4:15). Than the final interview was scheduled.

The interview started promptly with little wait time. I was greeted by the desk and met with the two interviewers. We started the interview with a bit of small talk, than the strange questions started coming. Where did you go to high school? What went through your mind when you were graduating? What about college ect… step by step all the way up to the present. That’s not common for an interview? This would be fine if the conversation was fluid but his smugness did not allow for it. This is not a business school interview. I asked about the person who left this role what did they go on to do? I was told the previous representative left after 3 months… go figure. While the interview was in process and I was answering questions he was looking at notifications on his phone (I guess to see how I react under pressure), nonetheless unprofessional and unrefined approach.

I asked about next steps and he said “well an offer just wouldn’t happen.. it just wouldn’t”. The most unprofessional interview I have ever been on in my life. Period.
    Upon leaving I took the business cards laid out on the table as a professional courtesy, and to double as notepad paper. I didn’t send a thank you email since I did not like the tension that built up in the room and had not intentions of moving forward with this company under these circumstances. I never received any emails either.

Interview Questions

• What went through your mind as you prepared to graduate high school?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

National Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Great interview process. I shadowed a current sales support rep for thirty minutes, interviewed with the team leader and a manager, and then with another more senior person at the company. They were warm, engaging, and professional.

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The first part of interviewing is an invite to record a video interview with HireVue. It is suggested that you dress as if you were going to an in person interview, make sure there is sufficient lighting and your area is quiet from distractions. You are not able to review your interview questions but you can practice the ones offered for as long as you need.

Interview Questions

• What has been your professional work experience up to this point?   1 Answer
    • For the position you've applied for; what skills do you posses that make you the ideal candidate?   Answer Question
    • One of Paychex tenants is "service: describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question
    • Salary range you're seeking?   1 Answer
    • What are the hours you can work, are you available to work overtime?   1 Answer

Retirement Benefits Services Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in January 2017.

Interview

- Applied: end of December
    - Email request for a video interview (a few days after application submission) where you record the answers to questions via webcam.
    - Brief phone screening within a few days of video interview.
    - In-person interview with 2 department managers 1 week after video submission.
    - 2 weeks later, I received a phone call from corporate recruiter with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a confrontation you were apart of in a professional setting, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

It wasn't feasible financially to move for position.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via email to set up a phone interview almost 1 month after applying. The recruiter that called was very unenthusiastic and you could tell she was just trying to make it through the day. I didn't want to work there based on my experience with this recruiter alone and she didn't even ask me if I had any questions for her. It appears they are trying to get the cheapest person possible, rather than the best person. I did receive a courtesy rejection email.

Hours are Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. MST, Wage $17.00 per hour, Benefits begin the first of the month following a person’s date of hire, Medical, Dental & Life insurance packages to choose from 26 days of Paid Time Off annually (Vacation accrual starts at 10 days a year, 6 Federal Paid Holidays, 4 additional Floating Holidays, 5 Sick Days, & 1 Day Community Volunteerism)
    401(k) Plan - enrollment immediate with company match after 1 year; Tuition assistance program

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you provided excellent client service? What is the most difficult situation you ever encountered and what was the outcome? What type of productivity goals did you have to meet in your prior positions?   Answer Question