Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2017

401k Participant Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henrietta, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Henrietta, NY).

Interview

3 interviews. All in 2 weeks. Took 6 months for them to get to my application. Phone screen was first. Then an interview with HR. Then I had an interview with 401k where they offered me the job shortly thereafter.

Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Neck, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Great Neck, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Not worth the time and resources you will expend. Two phone interviews, a very long skills test, a video interview, and then a personal interview hastily rescheduled to location hours away from where I would be based. The person interviewing me showed up at the interview over half an hour late and only came to get me when I peered out of the room a number of times. His phone kept ringing during interview and he kept looking at pictures on his iwatch or samsung watch or whatever. Unengaged rude during interview. He didn't even give me his business card so I didn't even bother to write a thank you note. For all the good things I hear about this company not surprised there is constant high turnover.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in College during your spare time?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was typical, I had five total interviews beginning with a phone interview. Personality/IQ test, and most importantly the final phone interview with the zone manager over the area I was applying for.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa Palms, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Tampa Palms, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Very professional, and friendly environment. It was both a professional but relaxed atmosphere. The interviewer was direct. Let me know all about the job and also sold the company as a friendly place were their best interest was to build you up as much as possible

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in March 2017.

Interview

Person to Person. Thought I was interviewing for Paychex...not the case it was a sister company. Decent opportunity...maybe just very low base salary and they only sell one product. Not sure how the overall company atmosphere is. I was put in a small side office

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit for Paychex?   1 Answer

401k Service Partner I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I got a request to come in for an interview. I accepted. The interview was about a half an hour. I received a job offer before I left work that day. The interview was at 8 am.

Interview Questions

• What methods do I use to de-escalate an angry caller?   1 Answer

Retirement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Edison, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Mediocre experience, leading to a horrible final interview, with a rude/condescending individual. My first contact was speaking to a recruiter who gave me details about the role and asked a few questions regarding my background. Next I had a video interview than was prompted to take a competency test online in the following days, which was fairly easy in order to gauge basic math, and problem solving skills. We set up a second interview with an individual who wasn’t on the job long (About 4 months in), which was no big deal.

The interviewer asked more questions about my background and what I do in my current role, I imagine looking to align my experience with the role. The position was 100% cold calling existing accounts to set appointments in order to sell retirement solutions to clients. The next step was a “field day” with a representative in the field. I went on the field day to see what a day in the role was really like. I went on the field day with one representative and met the team for essentially a full day (9 to about 4:15). Than the final interview was scheduled.

The interview started promptly with little wait time. I was greeted by the desk and met with the two interviewers. We started the interview with a bit of small talk, than the strange questions started coming. Where did you go to high school? What went through your mind when you were graduating? What about college ect… step by step all the way up to the present. That’s not common for an interview? This would be fine if the conversation was fluid but his smugness did not allow for it. This is not a business school interview. I asked about the person who left this role what did they go on to do? I was told the previous representative left after 3 months… go figure. While the interview was in process and I was answering questions he was looking at notifications on his phone (I guess to see how I react under pressure), nonetheless unprofessional and unrefined approach.

I asked about next steps and he said “well an offer just wouldn’t happen.. it just wouldn’t”. The most unprofessional interview I have ever been on in my life. Period.
    Upon leaving I took the business cards laid out on the table as a professional courtesy, and to double as notepad paper. I didn’t send a thank you email since I did not like the tension that built up in the room and had not intentions of moving forward with this company under these circumstances. I never received any emails either.

Interview Questions

• What went through your mind as you prepared to graduate high school?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

National Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Great interview process. I shadowed a current sales support rep for thirty minutes, interviewed with the team leader and a manager, and then with another more senior person at the company. They were warm, engaging, and professional.

Human Capital Management Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in February 2017.

Interview

My initial interactions with the company were all professional and included an online assessment, a pre-recorded web interview, and three phone interviews.

What both surprised and disappointed me was Paychex' complete and utter lack of follow up communication. I am currently employed and had to make arrangements to take time off to be available for the interviews and assessments. No one at Paychex' had the professional courtesy to ever contact me when the position was filled.

I hear this is now a very common problem with a large number of companies. A company like Paychex that advises other companies on their human resource policies should know better and lead by example.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions about past examples of accomplishments, resolved challenges, etc.   Answer Question