Paychex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

3.1

Various Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

DISCOUNT SHOPPERS

I have had three separate interview opportunities with Paychex recruiters. The recruiters will very quickly get to salary requirement. Each time I interviewed (for different positions), I reduced my salary requirement. As soon as the recruiter finds out what you expect, they become non-responsive. Expect to get an automated email telling you that you were not a good fit. The job postings never include any indication of salary, and they won't tell you if you ask.

Information Technology Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Nothing too intense. Did a short half-hour interview on phone first then an in person interview. Both interviews involved a small team of people I'd be working with and the manager. Questions were straightforward and basic get to know you stuff. The technical questions were not really high level stuff and what you’d expect for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work here? What are you career plans? What are you looking for in a job? Why do you think you'd be a good fit? Etc...   1 Answer

Dedicated Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

I first spoke with a recruiter on the phone. She was very nice. Then I met with a supervisor at the location and video conferenced with another supervisor that worked remotely which was a bit odd. They were impressed and wanted me to meet their manager that day. I was in the waiting room for 20 minutes until they told me she was in the middle of a conference call, they will call me again to schedule another interview. Received the call and met with the same supervisor and did another conference call with a hiring manager but she worked in Florida. Interview went well and took about an hour. I felt like we made a good connection and told her how I'm very interested in the position. She said I'll hear something in a few weeks. The application online was on a review status for about a week. I emailed the hiring manager to follow up with her regarding the position. She emailed me back and said "Thank you for following up, we will be making our decision this week and you should hear something from us soon". Something told me to check back to the application and see what the status said after she emailed me. It was changed from In Review to We chose another candidate. Why couldn't she just tell me herself? It's very disrespectful and it's a horrible way of being a manager. I heard many great thinks about the company so I guess this was a blessing that I didn't get selected.

I do recommend their recruiting and HR department make sure the hiring team is present face to face. It's very uncomfortable when interviewing with someone via conference call or through video chat. It's not the same experience.

Health Benefits Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Portland, OR).

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter, and although I wasn't very interested in the beginning, my gut feeling was to be open minded to the opportunity. It ended up being great timing, as my previous company was undergoing a lot of changes I was unaware of that would adversely affect me.
    The process was lengthy, but thorough, with several interviews spanning over a couple months. Things wrapped up in perfect sync with my segway out of company X and being welcomed into Paychex. The recruiter was a gem, always keeping me in the loop, and the interviews felt balanced between formal and casual.

Online Services Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Charleston, SC) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from a recruiter the next day requesting a "digital interview". The digital interview was somewhat awkward and I didn't do very well on it. Unfortunately, due to the digital interview, I did not receive any contact afterwards. I did follow up with the recruiter that originally emailed me, but I did not hear back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Chesapeake, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Reached out via Linkedin to the district sales manager and got a message back immediately asking for a phone conversation. Spoke with him on the phone, quite informal phone interview but immediately had a rapport. Call lasted about 20 minutes and set up a face to face with him and the area VP via webcast.

Attended 2nd interview face to face and spoke for over an hour. Seemed to go over very well and hiring manager really seemed to like me and put off other candidates for me. Got to the webcast with the VP, another hit! Went extremely well and they moved me on to a field ride the very next day with a newly hired rep. I was extremely flexible with all their demands and tried to accommodate them.

Went on the field ride, spent the entire day in the field and got to know the ins and outs of daily responsibilities as well as company culture. At the end of the field ride, met briefly with the hiring manager again. Provided them with a 30-60-90 day business plan, 3 glowing references, a brag book etc. The manager told me it would be at least another week before getting back to me or any decisions were made. Granted he had 2 vacant areas! I come from a pharma/medical sales background and believe he was hesitant to hire me in fears of me leaving after investing the time and money in training.

3 weeks have passed since my field ride. I have sent a handwritten thank you, a follow up call in which we spoke on the phone and he still seemed highly interested in my candidacy. Since our phone conversation....2+ weeks....nothing! I find it extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate that a follow up on his behalf has not taken place. I spent almost 2 full days of my time with paychex and they can't even bother to tell me yay or nay! I say NAY! Good luck paychex!

Major Market Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

They jerked me around for a month before making a verbal offer for this position. The fringe benefits wound up being rather unimpressive (2 weeks vacation until your 5th year?!?), so I told them I needed to think about it. Less than 48 hours later, the offer was recinded because apparently I didn't thank my lucky stars for the mediocre offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my successes, my goals and what "makes me hungry."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Akron, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Preliminary call from HR, then set up an online interview with prompted questions that were being video recorded live (just you staring at your computer, not face to face with anyone).
    Considering I applied for an in-person sales position, I wanted an in-person interview to sell myself and my personality. The recorded interview process was so distracting and uncomfortable and was completely contradictory to the position itself.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a previous position that was sales driven and you were required to meet quotas... How successful were you in doing so, etc.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

First there is a phone call with the recruiter/talent acquisition specialist. Then there is a video interview. You are asked about 5 to 8 questions, and you are recording yourself and then submitting. You can try a few practice questions to get the feel of speaking into the camera and seeing yourself as you are being recorded. When the real deal comes around, after you read the question, you can not sit there and prepare for ever, the 30 second timer starts. You have about 3 minutes to answer each question. The questions range from how are you a good fit for this company, to describe a time in the past where you were successful (details).
    Next comes an assessment which asks some personality questions, but also some math questions and grammar questions. Very easy if you are a college grad or can pay attention.
    Then there is the face to face interview with a few people. It's basically to see if you'd fit on the team and to see if they like you because above all, they need someone they can feel like they trust and would absorb the training and information that is thrown at you if you do get hired. I believe if you then get invited back for the field ride along, you might be in, unless someone doesn't get a good vibe from you.

Interview Questions

• A time in your career that you are very proud of. What did you accomplish? Explain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Stamford, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

The process was very interactive. The DSM was extremely knowledgable and passionate about the company. He really sold me on the job. I enjoyed seeing someone truly believe in the company. The process was seamless. I really enjoyed the field ride portion as well. It gives you an opportunity to view how a typical day would be like.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to be in sales/ some questions toward my college degree/ my internship and professional experience   Answer Question