Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 29, 2017

3.1

82 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Submitted application got a video request to answer some questions, did that. Had a remote Paychex recruiter call me out of GA. She then forwarded my information to the onsite team. Did an interview with 3 people on a phone line...went well but it's day 2 so where's the denial letter because that's what crappy companies do they don't return your emails even though younger probably the best candidate they have.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on Thursday night and received an email on Friday morning from a recruiter requesting I complete an online assessment and a video interview. I completed these on Friday night. The video interview was nerve-wracking and weird; I felt this was not the best way to learn about me. I was surprised when I received another email from the recruiter on Monday requesting a phone interview the next morning. The phone interview with the recruiter went very well and I was left with the impression I would move forward in the process. I received a generic rejection email two days later. For Paychex to emphasize during the interview process how they believe in developing employees, it is a huge disappointment that they took the lazy way out by sending a generic rejection email instead of telling me why I was not chosen for the next step.

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Applied for the position; completed an assessment; contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview; contacted one month later for a face to face interview; I had to reach back out to the company after being told I would be contacted; had second face to face interview with manager- job shadowed; offered the position the same day.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

online application, assessment (rather difficult and not just a ton of trick "what would you do" or "which one most describes you" questions, video interview, phone interview, 2 face to face interviews, drug test, background screening, job offered, job acceptance.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had a difficult customer. Why were they difficult, what did you do to de-escalate the situation, what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter on the phone, came into office for interview - received offer end of that week. Process was good - recruiter was friendly and helpful. Went through benefits information and what I should expect when I started. I got a good introduction in the system and videos showing me what to expect

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself - how did you hear about this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given a starting salary and asked if I could start -I said Yes. No real negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Kennesaw, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Meet the two supervisors the same day , then the Branch manager was offered position 15 min after walking out of interview. They asked a series of questions it was like 2 pages of questions. Nothing hard everything was easy to answer.

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Ventura, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone interview and had to take an assessment test, the following we I was called by someone in the Ventura office to schedule an in-person interview, which went pretty good. About two days after that, I received a phone called from the branch manager to schedule a one on one interview. Hands done it was a really good experience, and the people who interview do not at all make you feel intimated or feel that you are wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• There were many different questions, good questions that a lot of employers should ask.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Baton Rouge, LA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was about 30 minutes and asked behavioral/situation questions. I was also asked about duties from previous positions on my resume. Afterwards, I shadowed a payroll specialist for about 30 minutes. I received a job offer the following day.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time you had an irate customer, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Think of a situation or time you made an error or a complaint was made, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question