Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.1

79 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Applied for the position; completed an assessment; contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview; contacted one month later for a face to face interview; I had to reach back out to the company after being told I would be contacted; had second face to face interview with manager- job shadowed; offered the position the same day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter on the phone, came into office for interview - received offer end of that week. Process was good - recruiter was friendly and helpful. Went through benefits information and what I should expect when I started. I got a good introduction in the system and videos showing me what to expect

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself - how did you hear about this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given a starting salary and asked if I could start -I said Yes. No real negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Kennesaw, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Meet the two supervisors the same day , then the Branch manager was offered position 15 min after walking out of interview. They asked a series of questions it was like 2 pages of questions. Nothing hard everything was easy to answer.

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Ventura, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone interview and had to take an assessment test, the following we I was called by someone in the Ventura office to schedule an in-person interview, which went pretty good. About two days after that, I received a phone called from the branch manager to schedule a one on one interview. Hands done it was a really good experience, and the people who interview do not at all make you feel intimated or feel that you are wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• There were many different questions, good questions that a lot of employers should ask.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Baton Rouge, LA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was about 30 minutes and asked behavioral/situation questions. I was also asked about duties from previous positions on my resume. Afterwards, I shadowed a payroll specialist for about 30 minutes. I received a job offer the following day.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time you had an irate customer, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Think of a situation or time you made an error or a complaint was made, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Applied online, had phone screen which went very well, received email response to take on line test, then a phone call from Payroll Manager to set up interview. I chose Paychex because of the wonderful things I have heard from others in the company. I really liked that training was available and that I had 10 years customer service experience working with the public in all capacities. I felt I would be a great fit with my love to serve the client but needed some training in payroll. I liked that the statements of the company encouraged you to start a career with them and advancement was plentiful in their company. It was a win-win situation and it excited me to belong to a company of integrity! My interview was uncomfortable. The manager was polite but something was off before the interview was started.The atmosphere was uneasy. About 15 questions or more were asked and results written down. I was told I'd hear back from her in a week. I received a rejection email from the recruiting office. I was disappointed since I could not ask what it was that I would not make a good fit or how I could improve.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation with a client and how you handled that situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

applied online to three different positions, payroll specialist being one and only that I received an email from a recruiter with a 24 hour window to take a test, your basic math english assessment with a mixture of outlook and excel test questions. About 2 hours later, I received an digital interview link from the same recruiter with still 24 hours to respond. It was 7 wide ranged question that you complete by webcam or cv text. After that I received an email that it was completed and will reviewed over the next few days. I know it seems like a lot of bad reviews but I would love to get trained in a field like this and make a career. Its a start to me and hopefully a blessing. I am still waiting. It has not been long enough

Interview Questions

• what was something that went wrong but you helped resolve the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Glen Allen, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied and two weeks later I got an email inviting me to take a test. Once the test was completed, the recruiter called me the following day. I had a phone interview with her and was told that I would be contacted by someone at the location. I had an interview with the manager (who was in the process of packing because he was moving to another state). The interview went very well and I was told that someone would call me for a final interview. Two weeks went by and I didn't hear anything. I sent the recruiter an email and she never responded. Two days later, I received a "we chose someone else" email. I'm truly upset because I feel as though I didn't get a fair chance. To go from everything going so well to not being selected is very suspect to me. It sounds like the new manager who took the interviewers place did not want to take over and would rather start the process over with a new candidate. There's something very shady about the way it went down.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you weren't able to complete a task. How you handle it?   Answer Question