Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 11, 2018

3.1

85 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Rochester, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online through their corporate website and heard back the next day to do an assessment online. It took 20 mins to complete, questions involved basic math skills and common sense skills. After about a week received an email from Steve requesting a video interview. This needed to be done in the next 48 hours. I did it as soon as I received the email. They give you practice runs to help prepare you for the real one. Which was a tremendous help! After about an hour of practice I started my video interview. You have 3 mins to fully answer the question/s. After submitting my interview I heard back about a day later asking to schedule a phone interview.
The next day I had a 20-30 min interview talking about my work background. About 2 days later I received an email requesting an in person interview with 2 senior managers sometimes 3 depends on the time they have available. I was lucky to have all three one on ones in one day.. I had my interviews and they were great! Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They asked a lot of situational questions that I’ve experienced previously. (Tell me a time when...) after the last interview they said I would hear from someone by the end of the week. Around 5pm I got a call back asking how my experience went that morning and how I thought the interview lasted went, and if I had any additional questions. Then I was offered the position! It was such a truly awesome experience to go through. Not like most interviews where you feel nervous and anxious, it was calm, and I felt so comfortable.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an assessment that consisted of both mathematical and hypothetical questions. Ensure you're in a quiet environment when you take the assessment, it requires focus and can be challenging. The next day I received a call from the recruiter Steven Martinez, who is nothing short of amazing. We scheduled an over the phone interview for the following morning. After discussing my background and experience with Steven , I was scheduled an in person interview with two supervisors the following Wednesday. After my interview with the two supervisors I was given an exciting opportunity to shadow a Senior Payroll Specialist. I was given the opportunity to ask an immense number of questions and get to see what the position looked like on a busy Wednesday. Following my experience at Paychex, I was scheduled a final interview with another manager that upcoming Monday. Each interview consists of behavioral questions that require specific and genuine answers. The next day, I received the best call ever, the one that let me know that I had received a job offer conditional on my background check and drug test. The entire process was easy, quick and efficient. I am excited to have completed my new hire paperwork and will be starting with the Paychex family in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you chose to ignore or bend a policy?   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Paychex in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through Indeed and filled out application on their website. A day later I received an email from a recruiter to take the assessment test which was quite refreshing. Test was more of a math quiz to see how you are in finding percentages and such. I emailed recruiter the same night I completed the assessment test. She scheduled a time for a phone call a few days later to have a casual phone interview(basically to ask a few questions but not a full on interview). After the phone call she scheduled a face to face interview at the local office for following week. I had 2 face to face interviews first was with 2 supervisors and also shadowed a young lady afterwards. They were very nice and professional and asked situation questions. Received a call the next day from a different supervisor for my 2nd face to face interview. Met her the following day and she also was nice and asked situation questions.

Interview Questions

• Most were situation questions along the lines of "Tell me about a time..."   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Submitted application got a video request to answer some questions, did that. Had a remote Paychex recruiter call me out of GA. She then forwarded my information to the onsite team. Did an interview with 3 people on a phone line...went well but it's day 2 so where's the denial letter because that's what crappy companies do they don't return your emails even though younger probably the best candidate they have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on Thursday night and received an email on Friday morning from a recruiter requesting I complete an online assessment and a video interview. I completed these on Friday night. The video interview was nerve-wracking and weird; I felt this was not the best way to learn about me. I was surprised when I received another email from the recruiter on Monday requesting a phone interview the next morning. The phone interview with the recruiter went very well and I was left with the impression I would move forward in the process. I received a generic rejection email two days later. For Paychex to emphasize during the interview process how they believe in developing employees, it is a huge disappointment that they took the lazy way out by sending a generic rejection email instead of telling me why I was not chosen for the next step.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (Albuquerque, NM) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast, clear, and communicative. Stephen Martinez was amazing! He kept me informed of each step and the expectations of each, and was very accessible when I had questions. It was an 8 day process from applying to job offer (which is phenomenally quick!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake: what it was, how you fixed it, and the outcome.   Answer Question

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex.

Interview

Applied for the position; completed an assessment; contacted 2 weeks later for a video interview; contacted one month later for a face to face interview; I had to reach back out to the company after being told I would be contacted; had second face to face interview with manager- job shadowed; offered the position the same day.

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

online application, assessment (rather difficult and not just a ton of trick "what would you do" or "which one most describes you" questions, video interview, phone interview, 2 face to face interviews, drug test, background screening, job offered, job acceptance.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had a difficult customer. Why were they difficult, what did you do to de-escalate the situation, what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter on the phone, came into office for interview - received offer end of that week. Process was good - recruiter was friendly and helpful. Went through benefits information and what I should expect when I started. I got a good introduction in the system and videos showing me what to expect

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself - how did you hear about this job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given a starting salary and asked if I could start -I said Yes. No real negotiation