Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Payroll Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Houston, TX).

Interview

Spoke with recruiter twice before an in person interview was scheduled. Was interviewed by 3 people the first round and was invited for a second in person interview. Second interview consisted of a panel interview with 3 people and then a following interview with the president and another gentlemen. President was very condescending. Most uncomfortable interview experience of my life. He wanted to compare my accomplishments to his own. Way too many hoops to jump through for an entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Why aren't any of your supervisors listed as your references?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

applied online to three different positions, payroll specialist being one and only that I received an email from a recruiter with a 24 hour window to take a test, your basic math english assessment with a mixture of outlook and excel test questions. About 2 hours later, I received an digital interview link from the same recruiter with still 24 hours to respond. It was 7 wide ranged question that you complete by webcam or cv text. After that I received an email that it was completed and will reviewed over the next few days. I know it seems like a lot of bad reviews but I would love to get trained in a field like this and make a career. Its a start to me and hopefully a blessing. I am still waiting. It has not been long enough

Interview Questions

• what was something that went wrong but you helped resolve the situation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Fresno, CA).

Interview

Contact by recruiter. Online testing. Then 3 face to face interviews. Plus, job shadowing. Then, there was a background check. Definitely a lot of steps. They interviewers kept asking me how I handle stress. They really wanted to get the point across that the job is stressful. It definitely was stressful, and the morale was bad. Although, I bet other offices were better.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Three parts of the interview: part one usually is yourself, along with one or two managers. Then, you will meet with one of the branch managers, and usually a senior payroll specialist or one of the trainers.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with payroll?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They are willing to negotiate, but they will stay as close to their offer as possible. They do not offer overtime at all (at least when I was there), which told me that they are very strict with their budgets.

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Naperville, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

I had four interviews in one day. They normally conduct 3-5 interviews, although I was lucky to have all completed in one day. You have to take a math test and a personality test. Multiple managers ask you behavior-based questions.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time you had to tell a customer something they did not want to hear? How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating when I was hired. They start everyone at the same low rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Allentown, PA) in August 2015.

Interview

Started with a recruiter calling me, asked four or five behavioral questions ("Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?" and other such questions.) After the initial barrage of questions, I was scheduled for an in person interview two days later. This interview was another hour of similar behavioral questions, ten minutes of sitting with a payroll specialist on the floor, then fifteen minutes of me being allowed to ask the interviewer questions.

The next day I was called to schedule a second in person interview for the following Monday. This was another hour of behavioral questions followed by my chance to ask questions of the interviewer. I was told to hear from Paychex by the end of the week/beginning of the following week.

(I should note here that two of my questions to the interviewers were "Noticing that your client growth numbers are dropping rapidly, what changes does upper management have in store to keep those numbers from eventually dropping?" and "Some research shows me that there is a rather alarming rate of turnover for this position; what factors other than general stress may be behind this?" I advise future potential employees to skip these questions; the two interviewers I was with seemed VERY reluctant to try to answer these!)

When I had yet to hear back from them by the following Wednesday (48 hours after their self imposed deadline) I called the office to follow up. I was told that the interviewers were both out that day and a recruiter would contact me later that afternoon to give me an update. No phone call came.

After three behavioral question interviews and Paychex missing two deadlines to update me, I get a form rejection letter the following day. If this is how they treat potential employees, it's no surprise that their growth is stagnating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time a customer was dissatisfied with your service; what did you do to remedy the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Hauppauge, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

TWO HOURS LONG. It was all behavioral questions. Spent one hour with two supervisors then ten minutes shadowing a current employee and then 1 more hour with the manager of the supervisors I already interviewed with. There was also a phone interview the corporate recruiter before going in for the two hour in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a team. What were your tasks and whats goals did you achieve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Auburn, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Auburn, ME) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position months ago and forgot all about it. I received and email from a recruiter and completed a on the phone interview. After the phone interview I was invited to complete a math assessment test online. Two days later the recruiter called to set up an in person interview at their Auburn, Me office. The Interview consisted of two payroll Specialist supervisors who had a load of questions from a packet. The later that same day I was asked to do another in person interview two days from that date.. That interview consisted the branch manager and another supervisor. Then the next day I was offered the job pending a background check and drug test. The people were very nice and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All the questions are behavior base, ex: Can recall a time you had to solve a problem? Tell me about a time you showed integrity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Piscataway, NJ) in July 2011.

Interview

A series of 3 interviews were conducted. One with the recruiter, your potential supervisor, and the core manager (done separately). Be prepared to come back for multiple interviews. A phone screening will be conducted at first before they bring you in. You are also required to pass a math test (and you HAVE to pass in order to get the interview). Then the 3-series interview process starts. Once they're done, you wait until they call you. Make sure to have at least 3 professional references for them to contact if you get the job.

Interview Questions

• You are asked about different scenarios in which you had to work with other employees to achieve a goal, when you were faced with a difficult task, etc. You will have to also take a personality test.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paychex (Fresno, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Lengthy! There was a phone interview, an in person interview, then a job shadow and another interview. Then a final interview with the branch manager. I think I actually interviewed with half of the supervisors in the branch. They were all very friendly, but the are very picky about the type of people that they bring on. They are looking for math skills, do not let someone else take the test for you, it will come out, as well as customer service skills. They will teach you the rest.

Interview Questions

• The main question was how you handle stress. I think I was asked the same question 15 different ways. And they ask you that for a reason! The job is very, very stressful.   Answer Question
    • They ask about examples of customer service, how you handled an angry client, an example of going above and beyond for a client, that type of thing.   Answer Question