Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

3.1

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex (High Point, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

I received a call from a wonderful recruiter who helped me through every step of the process. I completed an online interview screening, an online assessment, two in-person interviews, as well as a day where I completed a ride along with a current sales rep to ensure that I was familiar with the job expectations and ready for the challenge. The final interview included a "value prop" presentation where I had to research and put together a product presentation for a client. The managers challenged and encouraged me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Explain your work ethic through high school, college, and grad school. How does this show who you are as an individual, and how will this carry over into your drive as a sales rep?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paychex (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

phone interview w a recruiter and a video interview and a test and a personal interview and fieldtrip w a rep. There will be a training and exams as well.

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (Overland Park, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview process was typical, I had five total interviews beginning with a phone interview. Personality/IQ test, and most importantly the final phone interview with the zone manager over the area I was applying for.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in March 2017.

Interview

Person to Person. Thought I was interviewing for Paychex...not the case it was a sister company. Decent opportunity...maybe just very low base salary and they only sell one product. Not sure how the overall company atmosphere is. I was put in a small side office

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit for Paychex?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paychex (Maple Grove, MN).

Interview

The Interviewer was 35 minutes late. His receptionist kept calling him and she never got a response. When he arrived he didnt seem apologetic at all. Seemed uninterested and careless

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied and immediately went to LinkedIn to connect with the recruiters in the area. I received a call the same day I applied and was given a phone interview.

Phone Interview: Recruiter. We seemed to hit it off and she recommended me for an in-person interview with sales managers.

1st Interview: Attendees: Recruiter and one of the sales managers. Went great! Had excellent rapport and they seemed to like what I brought to the table. Said they had no doubt that I could do the job and recommended me for a 2nd interview.

2nd Interview: Attendees: One of the other Sales Managers. Again, went great! Had excellent rapport and she was comfortable moving on to the next step, which was a ride-along with a Sales Rep. Talked about the job, her success, college football, etc. During the interview, I did express some concern with having to travel out of town for 2 solid weeks (including the weekend) for training being that I have 2 young children at home (5-months and 3-years old). She mentioned that she had reps in the past that would come home the weekend in-between if needed, but they could accommodate if needed.

**After this interview, I spoke with the recruiter to schedule the ride-along. She also wanted to schedule the final interview a day or so later with the Zone Manager - who oversees about 5-6 states - as soon as possible. The recruiter said that they would probably be looking to make me an offer and wanted to get everything finalized in the next couple weeks, and that the meeting with the Zone Manager was merely a formality in the process. We scheduled the ride-along as well as the final interview with the Zone Manager.

Ride-Along: Met with the rep at the office and we talked a bit as he prepared for his day. Went out on a few appointments and made a few drop-ins. Talked about the job in more detail along the way. He was excellent at his job and I can see why they sent me out with this particular rep.

3rd Interview: Attendees: Zone Manager. From the beginning, I didn't get the "just a formality" vibe. She seemed a little rushed and almost disinterested in my answers for the 2 or 3 questions she asked. I basically felt like her mind was already made up from the beginning and it wasn't in my favor. One of my follow up questions was again ask about the 2-week training. Her response was "It's a solid 2 weeks. If that's an issue then that is something we would need to consider". Also heard as "I know it's an issue for you, so I've already decided that you don't need to worry about it".

**All-in-all, this seems to be a very good company if you can get in before you have any family responsibilities. I can only speak from what I was told, but the commission/bonus potential seems to be there. The environment is extremely professional and they are well-known in the field. I may be in the minority here, but I don't know many families with children that can spare one of them being gone for 14 days straight. I understand the importance and the benefit of the training, but I've never heard of any Fortune companies that have that requirement at the Sales Rep level.

Also, being that I was under the impression the last meeting was "a formality", I may have mentally let off the gas a little. I take responsibility for that. I've been in the field long enough to know that if you're being sent out with a rep for a ride-along, the company has most likely made their decision to bring you on...otherwise they wouldn't waste their rep's time.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Standard "describe a time when..." or "how do you handle...". I have over 16 years of sales experience so their questions weren't anything I haven't answered or done before.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hudson, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Hudson, OH).

Interview

Started with the typical HR phone interview then personality test. Next would be to meet with the direct hiring manager. Once that goes well you do a field day/ride along with one of their senior reps. If that should go well then you meet most likely again with the hiring manager and one of their counterparts. Last stage is to meet with the Zone Manager and that goes well which is more of a formality you should receive in offer. Well in my case I didn't get the offer because they felt I was to over qualified for that position (which I was) and to my surprise the referred me over to their 401k division which deals with the current and larger accounts.

Not only is the unusual for a company to do and I was flattered, but I had to start the whole process over again with speaking to a new HR person then the direct hiring manager and ultimately in the end I didn't get the job which came to be a complete waste of my time and no reasons or even a response back as to why. They made me feel that I would be perfect for this role and assured me how quick the process would be this time and sorry for all of the steps and time I had taken. At the end of the day make better a clearly decisions when considering a candidate. All in all the whole process was two months and total of 8 interviews and nothing!! I mean really!! Wow

Interview Questions

• Typical describe a time and how you overcame or worked through it. Also the Star format was used quite a bit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

The writing is on the wall. I read so many reviews about their terrible interview process and the awful way they drag their candidates through the mud. Against my better judgement, I decided to ignore the masses before me and move forward with 5 interviews. Step 1: recruitered reach out to me on LinkedIn(I had never heard of this company before). Step 2: sales assessment(easy) Step 3: met for lunch with a manager Step 4: ride along Step 5: follow up call with the manager Step 6: interview with another manager. At this point, I hadn't heard anything for a few days so I reached out to the recruiter who said the hiring manager wanted to refer me to another sales position. I asked for feedback all I was told was "I was a better fit for the other sales department" Step 7: Passed along to different recruiter Step 8: Face to face with District Manager Step 9: Recruiter said they are "still working on putting a manager in place" Step 10: Auto-response
    If you know a candidate is not a good fit for the role, be upfront. It doesn't take 10 steps to end up at the starting line. I took too much time off work and risked my job for an worthless opportunity. My advice to everyone else, is do not waste your time applying unless you don't have a job. Besides, the employees that still work there, aren't exactly the best of the best so I'm not sure their selection process is that great to begin with. The girl I shadowed with asked what my race was and stated she was a design major in collage and "doesn't consider herself a salesperson" and was "just doing this until she can find a job in fashion"

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in May 2016.

Interview

Applied via the careers site. Very quickly received a call from a recruiter who gave me a 2 minute phone interview and then instructed me to complete an online exam. A few days later I scheduled an interview at one location which went well, but they were ultimately not hiring at that location. I was sent to another location for a 15 minute interview before they progressed me to the field ride. The field ride was quite uncomfortable as the person I was shadowing seemed more interested in cracking jokes and making inappropriate comments about my personal life. I tried my best to remain professional and direct the conversation back to daily life as a Paychex Sales Rep. At the end of my field ride, I had a feeling I wouldn't receive an offer. I followed up with the hiring manager and the recruiter via email and phone. Nearly 2 weeks later I received an email stating they would be moving in another direction.

Interview Questions

• What was a life changing moment that led you to become the person you are?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I met with one individual who seemed more concerned about where else I was applying. (they wrote down the names of these companies) The questions seemed unrelated and almost leaning toward rude. Office was quiet and everyone seemed miserable. Not recommended.

Interview Questions

• What other companies are you interviewing with specifically?   Answer Question