Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paychex Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2017

3.1

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in October 2010.

Interview

Do not apply for employment with Paychex unless you have nothing but time on your hands and you don't mind it being wasted. The process starts innocent enough with an online application and a phone recrutier calling you, but after that, Paychex is in a world of its own. The phone recruiter will send you a Microsoft Word document called a "Career History Form". This is a detailed timeline of your life from high school to today that includes classes you took, groups you belong(ed) to and interests you have. From here, you will fill this form out and send it back to the recrutier so they can then interview you on everything you just filled out. If you "pass" this part of the exam your information will be forwarded onto a district manager.

I arrived to the interview with a District Manager where I was immediately presented with a math skills test. The important thing to know about this test is that it is 50 questions long and you are only given 16 minuted to take the exam. The strategy is to do every easy/quick problem you can find and do as many of the questions as you can (it doesn't matter if you leave questions blank). After this, the DM will interview you and ask you again about your life from high school until today. They will ask you why you made certain decisions in your life and why you came to those decisions.

If you get past the DM, you will be given yet another test. This is a Caliper test that measures logical reasoning as well as your personality. The test is 150 questions, but is untimed.

If you get past this exam you will then have to meet with another DM in another office outside of the one in which you are applying (for me roughly 20 miles away). More of the same questions that the first DM asked you and I'm not quite sure why they have this process. Again, they will ask you about your life since high school and how you got to where you are today.

Still with me? Okay because here's where the fun starts. Paychex asks that you shadow a current sales representative for an entire 8am-5pm day. You will go on End User Presentations, meet with CPA's, meet with personal bankers and meet with clients. From here, the DM you originally met with will follow up with the sales rep you rode with and ask them if they feel you would be a good fit for the role.

Finally, my last interview was with a Zone Manager that Paychex asked that I drive 90 miles, EACH WAY, to meet with. The Zone Manager asks you how you like the company so far, asks you to define certain words and how they would relate to the job and asks about why they should hire you over anyone else.

At the end of my interview with the Zone Manager, I asked if I had earned his recommendation for the sales representative position, which he dodged by answering "You have provided me with the information I need to form a decision." The Zone Manager then LIED to my face by saying that the original DM would have the final say in if I was hired or not and would call me with his decision. I thought I was a lock for the position considering the DM told me, and I quote "I would hire you on the spot if I could. Unfortunately, there are more steps in the process so I can't."

Two days later I received a call from the original phone recruiter telling me that I did not earn the recommendation of the Zone Manager and therefore would not be offered the position. I tried asking why this was and Paychex could not even provide me with a reason why. You would think that after putting in a month of your time, driving hours to meet with various managers, taking multiple exams and giving an entire day of your time for a field ride you would be at least given a reason why they didn't offer you the position. But no. Not at Paychex. Spineless corporate America at its finest!

Bottom line: Don't interview here. They ask for too much of your time, resourses and patience all to be spineless and cowardly at the end.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paychex

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2009.

Interview

Math test, personality test, interview with hiring manager, field ride, interview with regional manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not really applicable everyone normally got the same starting salary based on position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (Orlando, FL) in May 2010.

Interview

Absolutely THE WORST interview process I have ever experienced!!. First I was taken into a room to take a math test. The test consisted of 50 questions and it was timed for 16 mins. (that wasn't as bad because I knew about the test going in). Of course when you're done, you have no idea of how well you did or not because they don't share the results with you. Afterwards, I was interviewed by a panel of 3 managers. I am used to getting the question, " tell us about yourself"...These guys took it to a new level..One mgr asked me to tell them my life's story from birth until now (i kid u not). Another mgr interrupted by saying that would be too far back and to talk about my life from high school and go forward. I was asked very personal questions that NOTHING to do with the job. They basically picked apart and gave opinions on MY life. It was highly unprofessional and would never consider working there if asked to. When I finally got to ask a question, they were very short with me and basically concluded by saying that old thanks for coming. I guess my life was not interesting enough and didn't fit into their mold. The initial HR rep with whom I spoke with was awesome but the panel interview definitely was a joke. Anyone interviewing there should definitely be prepared to dissect your life for the benefit of applying for a job.

Interview Questions

• I know you mentioned that you moved away about 20 yrs ago for personal reasons, but please tell us why you moved away and why you moved back?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your life from high school going forward that brought you to us today?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paychex in February 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me 3 days after applying, set me up with a pre-recorded webcam interview, was then referred to a phone interview with a sales manager who asked a lot about prior work experience. Be prepared to give past scenarios that display problem solving skills.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paychex (Tampa, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was originally referred by a current employee.
    Spoke with recruiter and went through a preliminary assessment.
    After passing assessment, spoke with district manager. They have you do a field ride-along with a current representative.
    After your field ride, you speak with management and final decisions are made

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Petaluma, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Paychex (Petaluma, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The recruiter set up the interview with 2 different managers in CORE and the 401K division. I had requested to interview individually to promote my skill set for each different position. Unfortunately, the recruiter refused to set up 2 separate interviews. When I interviewed with both managers, it was extremely difficult to put my best foot forward in emphasizing my skills and experience as one role was completely different from the other. I really feel as if the interview process and the recruiters to conduct the interview in this manner was not really enabling a candidate to be successful. As it turns out one manager did not even have an open position. Not a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Two difference divisions were asking difference goals.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paychex (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I met with one individual who seemed more concerned about where else I was applying. (they wrote down the names of these companies) The questions seemed unrelated and almost leaning toward rude. Office was quiet and everyone seemed miserable. Not recommended.

Interview Questions

• What other companies are you interviewing with specifically?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paychex (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

very professional right from the initial phone screen to the the final interview. Consisted of multiple interviews, a ride along with another sales representative and the then another final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paychex (South Jordan, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a 5 step process. Phone interview with recruiter, online assessment, interview with manager who would be your boss, ride along with a current sales rep and final interview with regional manager.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paychex in April 2011.

Interview

lenghty but through. Began with a phone interview and then a face to face. There were several people invloved prior to the ultimate hiring manager. Tough questions and some personality test but nothing too difficult. Typicall successes and areas of improvement questions. Be prepared to discuss the reasoning behind why you left any other companies and chose to move to other companies.