Paycom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

223 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Paycom Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2017.

Interview

The process took about 4 months to land an interview since they have just started to interview upcoming college graduates. The receptionists were very quick with check-in. There was a mathematics and reasoning assessment on a computer shortly before the interview in which you need to try to answer 50 questions in 12 minutes as best as you can. The interviewers were friendly, but vague on what they were looking for in a candidate. The interview lasted about 30 minutes per interviewer. There were 2 of them at separate times, so 1 hour total. One of the interviewers looked at their phone during the conversation while I was speaking to them. The interviewees that attended with me all looked to be college students indicating there is a young culture at Paycom. Apply if you want to be thrown in the usual social occurrences that you would see at college campus. There also seems to be a lack of diversity even though they claim otherwise--and will continue to claim otherwise. This was the discouraging factor for me.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 13, 2017 – Representative

An interviewer should not be distracted during an interview. We are looking into that matter. In regards to a young culture, we hire a mixture of both tenured and new grads. Our new hires are based... More

Transition Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

First, the recruiter was awesome and super nice! had a phone screen then told to have an in person interview where you take a test and then have a normal interview. The guy that interviewed me obviously didn't want to be there and kept looking at his apple watch and phone while I was talking. Extremely rude and uninterested in the interview right from the start. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. We’re sorry you had an unpleasant experience with a hiring manager. We are looking into this. We wish you nothing but the best in your career search.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

First off let me start by saying this. If you are a brown person and you are interested in a position here, I would stay away! Keep reading and you will know why.

I applied to the position through Linked in and was reached out to by Email for a webcam interview. The recruiter was very nice and a genuinely good person. When we got on the Skype call, he saw my face (I had a small beard) and told me that he now has put a "face to the name" and that we can talk on the phone instead of on Skype. Which was not a big deal because we were having sound issues with Skype. The interview was fine, and at the end he set up a face to face with the manager at the office. Before we hung up, he asked me about my beard, He asked me if it was for religion or for something else. He also told me that if I want my chances of moving forward to be higher that I should shave. He told me that the reason for this was to "look more professional" and so the manager doesn't say "oh he doesn't listen to orders". I was okay with shaving but my point is, if you are growing a beard for religion you are out of luck, you will be discriminated against and your chances of moving forward will be lower...

The recruiter loved me and even sent me tips on how to do well in the next interview.

Face to Face interview ---

When I went to the Face to Face interview, The manager saw me waiting out the door and walked towards me the door to open it, when he saw my face, he proceeded to stop give me the "wait" finger and started talking to one of his co-workers, right in front of me. As I waited there for what seemed to be 5 minutes, he finally stop talking to his coworker and let me in. (felt like i was at a zoo being watched) Anyways, when I got in the office, every SINGLE PERSON was white. no diversity what so ever. Being a brown person, I am used to this kind of thing when it comes to big companies like this. Anyways, when I was in the office with him, we talked a bit about my self, and how I grew up and he asked me a couple of interview questions. During my interview, he told me that this was to get to know me and it was nothing too formal, but he did not seem interested at all to what I was saying and was looking at his computer screen.

When the interview was over, I closed and asked next steps. He told me that he still had to talk to the recruiter and if they "think I am a good fit they will contact me" ... but I thought this was a personality interview rather than how well i could do the job???

Long story short, it felt Awkward, I felt like the odd ball out, I saw a couple of negative reviews on here before my interviews about the company discriminating if you are brown, I dismissed them as people who were mad they didn't get the job but they turned out to be right.

Moral of the interview process -- If you are Brown or if you have a beard, dont apply here, you most likely wont get it.

Thanks for tuning in folks, and good luck!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments very seriously. We take pride in the... More

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed. I did enjoy my interview with Rob. The company is growing and seems to provide a great training program for newly hired interns in php, c#, and MySQL.

I would study SOLID programming principles and basic sorting algorithms. The questions did not involve the application or explanation of any Data Structures.

I do not plan on reapplying, but would recommend any ambitious undergraduates(freshman and sophomores) to apply for the invaluable interview practice.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Mar 14, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience.

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with a recruiter and moved to a face to face with principals. That interview lasted around an hour and was on site in their lobby that they have set up for interviewing. There was a follow up email and then a lunch a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult manager and how you dealt with it.   1 Answer

Apr 6, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. We wish you the best of luck during your career search.

Payroll Tax Specialist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied on their website. A few days later I had a phone interview with a recruiter which went well. Directly after this they have you do some typing and data entry tests. If you pass that, you get an in person interview scheduled. Before the on site interview you do another test, which is composed of basic math problems. You finish as many as you can in a 10 or 12 minute time span. After this they interview you. I felt my interview went alright. They said they would let me know whether or not I had been hired in about a week. That never happened. The on site interview was the last I heard from them, no email or anything. After 18 days, I saw on their website that they had filled the position.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 13, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for your interest in a career at Paycom. Regardless of the situation, every candidate should be aware of their standings after an interview, even when the decision to not move forward has... More

Payroll Tax Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone screening, then online personality assessment, excel assessment, and typing test. After that, they make you do a logic and reasoning test before your first in-person interview. I don't know what happened after that, they didn't hire me because I was going to get my CPA.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 27, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for your interest in a career at Paycom. As part of the application process we look at several qualifications: experience, GPA if applicable, writing skills, completeness or thoroughness of... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Lewisville, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me about the position. They submitted me, and I had a phone interview a week later. After a brief phone interview with basic questions such as name three characteristics a colleague would describe you have, name a time you overcame adversity, why are you looking for a new position, etc. I was brought in for an in person interview.

I took off work, drove over 45 minutes, spent $20 in tolls, and spent hours preparing myself for this interview. I got there, they had me take a 15 minute Wonderlic test and got to spend 15 minutes with the Sales Manager before they sent me on my way. I actually spent more time driving one way than I got to spend with the manager.

Overall, I felt like it was very rushed and extremely unprofessional. When asking questions to the Sales Manager, he couldn't give me straight answers to any of them. For example, I asked what territory were they hiring for specifically, and he actually told me that "We're not sure at this point. I have the northern territory, so we're still evaluating." I mean come on?

After the interview, I emailed the manager and HR rep to thank them for their time and was informed a week later, without a response, that they were pursuing other candidates. I already had my doubts regarding the company after the reviews online and the interview process, so I'm very pleased to no longer have to consider Paycom as a potential employer.

Interview Questions

• Name three characteristics your current colleagues would describe you have. Name a time you overcame adversity. Why are you interested in Paycom? How did you hear about us?   Answer Question

Feb 17, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback as we’re always striving to improve the candidate experience. At Paycom, we always aim to be respectful of our candidates time. We apologize for the lack of communication... More

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mansfield, TX

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Mansfield, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I got a message off of LinkedIn from a recruiter, we scheduled a phone interview. I thought it went well but I never got a call back or an email saying they went with another candidate even though I patiently waited for a response like the recruiter said she would give me

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself

Why did you have a work gap between x and y dates?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. We apologize for the lack of communication from our team. Every candidate should be aware of their standings after an interview, even when we’ve made the tough decision to not... More

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom in February 2017.

Interview

I received an email to set up an interview over the phone. The interview itself was fine but later that day I received another email saying that the interviewer was sorry she had missed me on the phone and we should reschedule for the following week. I'm sure that she speaks with a lot of people on a daily basis but the note taking/organization seemed to be lacking since she didn't have notes that we had spoken. I have not heard back from the company since.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest accomplishment and how did you achieve it?   Answer Question

Mar 14, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. At Paycom, we aim to be respectful of our candidates time and apologize for the error in communication that occurred. Our process... More