Paycom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Nov 17, 2017

240 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Transition Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paycom in May 2017.

Interview

Received a Linkedin message from Recruiter asking if I was interested in the position. I reply and state that I'm interested. We setup a time for an interview. All of a sudden, 2 hours before my interview, she start sending all these text messages (harrassment!) telling me to fill out the actual job application and to complete an assessment before the phone interview --very frustrating --she could have easily provided this info in email 24 hours prior to the phone interview. When I told her I didn't have time to complete the assessment, she became very negative in tone. She pretended she couldn't hear me while I was answering her questions and blamed the connection and hung up on me. Recruiter was very rude and ill-mannered. I have no interest in pursuing an opportunity with Paycom if it is full of employees with temperaments as bad as that snotty recruiter.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jun 8, 2017 – Representative

We apologize for your unpleasant experience with one of our recruiters. We noticed you did not share the city you interviewed in, which makes it difficult to research your experience. As part of the... More

Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Tampa, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. She reached out to me and we had a phone interview in which she asked me questions about my background and experience. After a personality test and a timed Math/Reasoning IQ test, I met with both of the hiring managers on webcam. They have a very particular mold they want you to fill, which is why they asked critical thinking questions. The CEO asked me why I didn't have more connections on LinkedIn, so make sure you polish your profile. Connections on LinkedIn don't matter as much to me. The real connections are in your phonebook, so I was really surprised to be asked that. I'm kind of glad I didn't get the job. It seems like a very stressful and controlled environment - it's like they want a robot working for them, someone who just takes orders, not someone who can bring fresh ideas or a new way of thinking. I have also heard they are not very lenient on sick days/holidays/vacation time. Anyway, good luck to those who snagged an interview, personally this interview helped me land my next job, so I feel very neutral about my experience.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing outside of work to stimulate your mind? Why shouldn't we hire you?   Answer Question

Jun 8, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate your interest in Paycom. We evaluate every applicant’s profile against the requirements of the position and standards of the company. As part of the application process, we look at... More

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

A quick process that was handled professionally the entire way through. Incredibly engaging company that is easy to work with, making the interview process an enjoyable one. The process was none too daunting and I appreciate the willingness to work with others' schedules in order to make this process as easy as possible.

Interview Questions

• Why are we currently in this position talking to each other?   Answer Question

Jul 19, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I interviewed in the Richmond, VA office. The manager there is clearly a successful salesperson based upon the trophies in her office. With that being said, I wasn't impressed with my experience interviewing with her. I'll say off the bat that I didn't get an offer. I'm not the least bit bitter as I accepted a great job elsewhere a few weeks later and I can understand why they'd pick another candidate and have been rejected by many other companies in the past. I was just especially rubbed the wrong way by this one.

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to go in for an interview. In my first interview, I was asked basic questions and told that I did really well and they'd be in touch. Pretty standard stuff. I was told a few days later that they passed by my recruiter (after I reached out). I was disappointed but am a fairly aggressive person so I found the manager I interviewed with on LinkedIn and asked for another shot. I was excited that she responded and said they'd give me a "chance to show what I can do on the phones".

The first sign I should've taken was when I'm told by the recruiter they will have a presentation there for me to present but was then told by the person in hq that I need to make one myself...the night before!! Anyway, I stay up late to make presentation and I go in for my next interview the next day and the manager is a no show. I receive an email a few minutes after I was told to be there that the manager was sick from someone in their OKC hq. They were very limited in availability and I had to take off work short notice as did the other candidate that was there too. Obviously things happen, but you'd expect the person would apologize, nothing. It was extremely unprofessional but I didn't care because at the time I wanted the job.

I get the interview rescheduled and go in and give my presentation. I'm told I did a good job and that the primary factor into whether I'd get an offer is the phone session. I'm told that you must get at least 8 appointments (I think, it may have been less) set by making cold calls to have a chance for the job. I'm also told the record was 16 or 17. I broke that record with time to spare and the manager seemed impressed. I proceed to ask if there is any reason I wouldn't be offered. She told me I'd be moved on to final interview with her boss. She said her only concern from first interview was one answer I had. The question was "what would you do if you weren't offered this job?". My answer was that I'd go back and continue to work hard at my current job and continue to look. She said that made me seem complacent. Keep in mind, a recruiter sought me out for this position and I was a high performer at previous job. I guess a better answer would be that I was going to go home and cry? I didn't say that of course and just talked about how I really wanted this job. I'm told later that night by my recruiter I have a 99% chance of being offered.

A few days go by and I hear nothing. I reach out to my recruiter and he informs me they passed. I wouldn't be surprised if there normal practice was to just not contact ppl they weren't offering.

I message the manager and thank her and ask why she passed. I'm told I need more experience before I could even talk to her boss. They completely wasted my time. The kicker was that she asked me to come back in 6 months when I had more experience lol.

Maybe my experience was an abnormality but my perception was that the manager was an amateur when it came to interviewing and didn't seem to care about treating people with respect. The whole process from beginning to end was disorganized and the way they treated me seems to be indicative of how they treat their employees based on some reviews on here.

This job has a great starting salary and may be a great place to work, I'm just sharing my experience for you to take in to consideration.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 20, 2017 – Representative

We’re sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Every sales interviewee must put together a presentation and partake in phone canvasing. The goal is to see how a person would present to a... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone call with Paycom recruiter going over the position itself and finding out a little more background reference. Facetime interview with Paycom recruiter going over resume and basic interview questions. Facetime interview with Sales Manager elaborating upon resume and day to day sales position questions.

Interview Questions

• What pushes you to wake up every morning?   1 Answer

Apr 21, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2017.

Interview

Nice and professional interview process. Unfortunately I got radio silence after the second interview. The professional thing to do would be to send at least a form letter to decline the offer to you. They request all kinds of feedback throughout the interview process then give you none.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

May 2, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for your interest in a career at Paycom. Regardless of the situation, every candidate should be aware of their standings after an interview, even when the decision to not move forward has... More

Sales Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Submitted application and heard back the next day to schedule phone interview. After phone interview, they wanted to do a FaceTime interview. Once they "put a face to the name".. on to the next FaceTime interview with the territory manager.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about paycom?
      Why do you want to leave your current employer?   Answer Question

Mar 14, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Paycom Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2017.

Interview

The process took about 4 months to land an interview since they have just started to interview upcoming college graduates. The receptionists were very quick with check-in. There was a mathematics and reasoning assessment on a computer shortly before the interview in which you need to try to answer 50 questions in 12 minutes as best as you can. The interviewers were friendly, but vague on what they were looking for in a candidate. The interview lasted about 30 minutes per interviewer. There were 2 of them at separate times, so 1 hour total. One of the interviewers looked at their phone during the conversation while I was speaking to them. The interviewees that attended with me all looked to be college students indicating there is a young culture at Paycom. Apply if you want to be thrown in the usual social occurrences that you would see at college campus. There also seems to be a lack of diversity even though they claim otherwise--and will continue to claim otherwise. This was the discouraging factor for me.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 13, 2017 – Representative

An interviewer should not be distracted during an interview. We are looking into that matter. In regards to a young culture, we hire a mixture of both tenured and new grads. Our new hires are based... More

Transition Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

First, the recruiter was awesome and super nice! had a phone screen then told to have an in person interview where you take a test and then have a normal interview. The guy that interviewed me obviously didn't want to be there and kept looking at his apple watch and phone while I was talking. Extremely rude and uninterested in the interview right from the start. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 4, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. We’re sorry you had an unpleasant experience with a hiring manager. We are looking into this. We wish you nothing but the best in your career search.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

First off let me start by saying this. If you are a brown person and you are interested in a position here, I would stay away! Keep reading and you will know why.

I applied to the position through Linked in and was reached out to by Email for a webcam interview. The recruiter was very nice and a genuinely good person. When we got on the Skype call, he saw my face (I had a small beard) and told me that he now has put a "face to the name" and that we can talk on the phone instead of on Skype. Which was not a big deal because we were having sound issues with Skype. The interview was fine, and at the end he set up a face to face with the manager at the office. Before we hung up, he asked me about my beard, He asked me if it was for religion or for something else. He also told me that if I want my chances of moving forward to be higher that I should shave. He told me that the reason for this was to "look more professional" and so the manager doesn't say "oh he doesn't listen to orders". I was okay with shaving but my point is, if you are growing a beard for religion you are out of luck, you will be discriminated against and your chances of moving forward will be lower...

The recruiter loved me and even sent me tips on how to do well in the next interview.

Face to Face interview ---

When I went to the Face to Face interview, The manager saw me waiting out the door and walked towards me the door to open it, when he saw my face, he proceeded to stop give me the "wait" finger and started talking to one of his co-workers, right in front of me. As I waited there for what seemed to be 5 minutes, he finally stop talking to his coworker and let me in. (felt like i was at a zoo being watched) Anyways, when I got in the office, every SINGLE PERSON was white. no diversity what so ever. Being a brown person, I am used to this kind of thing when it comes to big companies like this. Anyways, when I was in the office with him, we talked a bit about my self, and how I grew up and he asked me a couple of interview questions. During my interview, he told me that this was to get to know me and it was nothing too formal, but he did not seem interested at all to what I was saying and was looking at his computer screen.

When the interview was over, I closed and asked next steps. He told me that he still had to talk to the recruiter and if they "think I am a good fit they will contact me" ... but I thought this was a personality interview rather than how well i could do the job???

Long story short, it felt Awkward, I felt like the odd ball out, I saw a couple of negative reviews on here before my interviews about the company discriminating if you are brown, I dismissed them as people who were mad they didn't get the job but they turned out to be right.

Moral of the interview process -- If you are Brown or if you have a beard, dont apply here, you most likely wont get it.

Thanks for tuning in folks, and good luck!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments very seriously. We take pride in the... More