Paycom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Process is pretty bureaucratic. Expect a few back and forth emails and calls with an Oklahoma rep, then a few tests, and in-person interviews. The people in Oklahoma are very helpful, however once I finally met with the Silicon Valley/San Francisco employees, the process became difficult to manage. Multiple errors were made--
    1) Despite that I work and live in San Francisco, they rescheduled my SF interview to Silicon Valley more than once. I had to keep calling back to change this because I had explained to them before, I could not make the commute without losing a few hours at my current job.
    2) They rescheduled to a 7am interview from the SF office that would webcam to Silicon Valley. The SF office opened their doors 10 minutes late and my interview then had to be split into parts to make up for the lost time.
    3) Despite having a scheduled follow up in which they said that they would call, they did not. They did not answer after that, either.
    4) Days later, they sent me an email saying that they will not be hiring me as a Garnishment Representative-- which is not the job I interviewed for over the past week and a half.
    Otherwise-- decently pleasant experience. Be ready to relate your previous experience to the job description and practice the Wonderlict tests before hand.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the real you, that isn't represented by this resume.   Answer Question

Nov 14, 2016 – Representative

We’re glad you marked your experience as positive and greatly appreciate your feedback as we’re always striving to improve the candidate experience. At Paycom, we always aim to be respectful of our ... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

First was phone screening. Second was a face-to-face interview in the company itself. They asked about my experience in php and database. And asked many questions on mysql specially. It took 2 months for the process and took 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Why computer science?
      Inner join, outer left join, best thing and worst thing about php
      Answer Question

Dec 22, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. We wish you the best of luck in your job search!

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

Originally applied for admin assist. She said it didn't pay what I wanted but I could apply for acct manager. Phone interview went well, in person interview was hard, he seemed busy like he didn't have time for this. Also have to take math test, online assessments, typing &a data entry test and Ms excel test.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, how did you hear about us?   Answer Question

Oct 31, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We’re sorry you had an unpleasant experience with one of our hiring managers. We wish you the best of luck in your career!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

I usually try as much as I can to be objective and always leave positive reviews but unfortunately I have to explain how my experience was with PAYCOM.
    I was contacted 2 months ago on linkedln by a PAYCOM recruiter(I wont mention names because my aim is not to get anyone in trouble). He said he was pleased with my resume and would like to know when I would be available to set up a 20mins phone call interview. I replied immediately and said I would be available all day the next day. I never heard from him until two months later after I reached out to him expressing my interest in a position that had just been opened. This time around he called me and after the call he sent a link to take an assessment test which I took that same day. He called me the next morning and said I passed the test with a score HIGHER than 80 (which was a good score according to him) and would like to set up an interview with me and a lead architect and the Director of development. I went to the location, did the interview with the lead, answered few technical questions. Everything about the interview went smoothly and really well, I could tell the lead was pleased and was satisfied with the interview because he had said so, but unfortunately they couldn’t get me to meet with the director of development because he was in a meeting. The recruiter was ready to move forward with the process by setting up an interview with the director. I had driven two hours to that location, even though I didn’t have a problem driving back again another day I would have preferred to complete the interview process as soon as I could. So I told the recruiter that I was still going to hang around the city for some hours or even till the next day and he promised to send a text or an email within the next 15mins regarding a potential interview with the director based on his schedule. The text was also going to inform me if the interview would be a phone screen or an onsite interview. That would have been the perfect plan if he actually came through with his promise. I never got that text. I stayed at a friend’s in the city till the next day hoping to get the text or email. I also sent an email and left a voice message reminding the recruiter of the agreement and letting him know I was still around. I never got a reply, not even an acknowledgement or confirmation that he received the emails or whatsoever. Since then I have sent a couple of emails and tried to call but no response from him. Its been almost THREE weeks now and not even a word from PAYCOM. I don’t even know where I stand with them. I don’t know If they want to move forward or not. Due to the fact that I’m not sure about my interview progress it’s harder to make other job decisions. Inasmuch as I would love to work for PAYCOM, I would have appreciated it more if he had told me that they decided to not move forward because of my race, height, clothes, or because my wife is active duty military or something (im sure its not my GPA because I have a GPA higher than 3.8) rather than ignore me like I never existed. What I am saying is that any excuse would have been better than radio silence. I just started looking for jobs and most companies have been very clear and would tell me “we are looking to employ in 3months time” or “ you may not hear from us until after 3weeks” or the “position has been filled”, But this behavior by PAYCOM is by far the most unprofessional behavior I have ever experienced.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s a wonderful company to work for and I’m sure there are better recruiters at PAYCOM, I may just have been unlucky to have been contacted by this particular recruiter. But then again he is a representative of PAYCOM

Interview Questions

• Based on your work experience or from school project describe a situation where you faced a technical problem and you dealt with it. there were technical questions about SQL, hashing, arrays, etc   1 Answer

Nov 1, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to improve our application and interviewing process. Currently, as part of the application process we look at several qualifications: experience ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fair, was brought in for an in person interview after a skype screen with the hr. After that was brought in again to for set up three appointments with the team.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself
      why are you leaving your old job
      what motivates you
      Answer Question

Oct 31, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in October 2016.

Interview

Very bluntly, this place is not full of the best and brightest.

The structure was this:
    1. Video conference session with the recruiter (She logged in as someone else though? Strange)
    1.a. Follow up is more extensive application & Wonderlic exam
    2. On-site interview with hiring manager (Manager only oversees outside reps, other staff in office are not direct reports)
    3. Come back for a presentation to the team (Not defined on audience/objective/nada) and then hit the phones to set appointments for 4 hours.
    4. Final interview with Sales Director (Did not reach this stage)

My initial interaction with the recruiter and hiring manager went well, with the usual broad questions to lean more about me & Paycom, yada yada. The first on-site with the hiring manager was great, she seemed engaged and excited, and didn't offer any extremely challenging questions.

The 2nd on-site, however, was a disaster.

I was given a list of companies/names/numbers and told to set appointments...with a phone that didn't work. I focused on making dials and getting my appointments, while also ensuring I was engaging with the team (They wanted nothing to do with me, and refused to sit/provide feedback during this call session). After obtaining the necessary appointments (And pushing for more), I was surprised that there was no wrap-up or feedback session at the end. The hiring manager was more focused at that point with the next interview candidate (I wish I could have told the guy to run) and her take-out lunch.

Takeaways:
    Very unprofessional
    Be expected to play Pictionary
    Hiring manager will not give you control of your mouse during your presentation (Why? I built the deck, let me drive)
    Sales process/cycle seems entirely numbers based, not focused on client value. Effectively they're in a competitor bracket (Small Businesses) where you just have to be the best of the worst, not the best.
    Their work day starts at 7:30 am

I am 100% honest in stating that I was deemed not a qualified fit for this outside sales role as I was not a 24-32 y/o woman who would work well with other 25-32 y/o women in a small, open cube style office. Simple as that.

Avoid this organization at all costs and look for better opportunities. If I wasn't directly head hunted I would not have considered this position.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 11, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to continually improve the interview process and provide candidates the best experience possible. Paycom strives to find the best professionals that fit our ... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First round was an initial 20min video interview with a recruiter. After that it was an initial 45-60min video interview with the Branch Manager (or in person if in the same city.
    If asked to move forward in the process there is an in person interview that lasts 4 hours. You have to give a 5-10min presentation about yourself and the company, and then actually set appointments with clients. The goal is 3, but they really are looking to see how you handle objection as well as how you handle yourself on the phones.
    If successful from that point, you are moved on to meet with the Regional Manager who is just running through you background again and making sure they see fit you are capable of performing the role.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review!

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

A Paycom recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin. First was a phone screen, next you went into the office for a skype interview and then the last was with the director over skype again. It was pretty simple except for the last interview with the Director. He wanted to make it known he was the boss. He was asking questions that were pointless and had nothing to do with my work experience but wanted to see if you cracked under pressure. Also, the previous person I interviewed was observing me and came on half way through and no one told me about it. They silently came on half way in and I noticed the person and there was no acknowledgment of it. I just got a bad vibe from the whole interview with the director and was neutral about not getting an offer.

This was back in March. It is now the end of August and I had two separate recruiting firms reach out to me and ask me if I would be interested in interviewing. When I tell them I interviewed in the beginning of spring and now its the end of summer and two other people have reached out to me about they are shocked by it.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Questions asked during the interview process are to learn about your experience, and to determine if you’re a fit for the position, not to see if you crack under pressure. Also, any additional ... More

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

My friend an I both applied for paycom, same experience background same previous employers same age. However, she received a phone call to give her further instructions and was given assessment tests. I received an email telling me there were other more qualified individuals, pretty much they didn't need me. What is the difference between my friend and I? She is white! I am not! I've heard how racist paycom is, but I did not want to believe it. Sad!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied via Paycom website. Received call from HR department's talent acquisition team doing brief interview over the phone. Just kind of went over experience and knowledge of specific areas. Asked to do an online personality and Excel assessment, then was asked to come in for a in person interview with department manager. The day of the interview, they had me take a Wonderlic test (similar to what NFL players take during the combine) and then had about a 45 minute interview with department manager. Spent most of the time time discussing how the position applied to the department and about the company itself. Not a very stressful interview in terms of answering question, but felt like I didn’t have adequate time to voice how my knowledge or past experiences that could of benefited Paycom in this position. Was told I would hear back from them in a week, and I did. However, instead of receiving some kind of call, I received the generic e-mail above pursuing other options for the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a process or procedure, and improved either the efficiency or the time it took, and how you went about accomplishing it?   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for investing your time in our interview process. Our goal is to give the best experience to each candidate during every step of the process. We know timely feedback is important to ... More