Paycom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

After submitting an application, I was contacted by a recruiter for a brief screen. Shortly after, I was notified that I was being considered for an in-person interview. The recruiter I worked with was friendly and helpful and it was clear that she had the candidate's best interests in mind.

My in-person interview took place in the Sunnyvale office and it was an awkward, disappointing, and poorly orchestrated affair. Upon reaching the door to the Paycom suite, I was faced with a locked door. I wasn't told how to notify the interviewer that I arrived and after some unsuccessful knocking, I called my recruiter at 5:00pm Oklahoma time on a Friday and was lucky enough to get a hold of her. She let the interviewer know that I was outside and I was let in a few moments later.

The interview proceeded as the recruiter described. I was led to a computer to complete the assessment. First strike, the computer was running on Windows 98. After completing the assessment, I stepped into the office of the interviewer and sat down to begin the interview. Strike two, the interviewer seemed completely disinterested in his own questions (the most cliche of which I describe below) as well as mine. After an unenthusiastic sendoff on both sides, I stepped out and returned to the buildings garage where (strike three) I got stuck at the exit because I was never notified that I needed to get parking validated by the company I was visiting.

Long story short, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was a logistical nightmare and the Sunnyvale office did not represent Paycom in a positive light.

Interview Questions

• As I mentioned above, I'm going to list some of the cringeworthy, cliché questions I was asked.
      1) What is your dream job? What's stopping you from doing that?
      2) Describe yourself in three words.
      3) Why should I hire you?
      4) What's the number one reason I SHOULDN'T hire you?
          - The interviewer looked so pleased with himself when he asked this question as if it was the most
             clever question in the history of interviews. In reality, just a horrible take on "what's your biggest
             weakness" question.

Apr 27, 2017 – Representative

We apologize for your unpleasant experience in our Sunnyvale office. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments seriously. We wish you the best ... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2017.

Interview

Had a interview on campus. The person that I interviewed with was one of the heads of development. Didn't get the position because I did not has a lot of experience with coding.

Apr 28, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The interview process is pretty intense as Paycom only hires the best of the best. First step was an interview via video conference with a recruiter, followed by an in-person interview with sales manager. The final step was to present to the sales team for roughly 15 minutes and then get on the phones to cold call companies with the team. During that time you need to set a minimum of 3 meetings in order to move on to final interview with regional manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot about my grit so as to determine whether I had the mental stamina needed for the role.   1 Answer

Jan 19, 2017 – Representative

Welcome to the Paycom team!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. She was very enthusiastic and quick to follow-up. We had a Skype meeting and it went very well!

Planned meeting with Regional Sales Manager on the spot. Interview was focused around the financial benefits, closing deals, success of the team, and the technology they use. Took a online personality test beforehand.

Next step is to use their list to cold call potential clients and set up three meetings.

This position is for someone who has years of B2B experience and who has dealt with businesses that have a large number of employees. You have to be very aggressive and passionate about winning new business.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Interview

Applied online via LinkedIn. Got a call and email couple days later. Setup a phone interview. Initial phone interview is done thru FaceTime or Go to Meeting app/web portal.

Did the whole Go to Meeting app thru phone. This is just funny and seems very impersonal and poorly constructed. Got the young gal on the other end. You can hear everything they say but video is so choppy hard not to laugh.

They ask you questions but based on the questions I quickly sensed this gig is not for me. They are looking for recent Grads. Someone fresh, little experience, wet behind the ears type kid.

Secondly, they bring up background check. Can you pass or not? If you stole a loaf of bread consider yourself doomed. These questions shouldn't even be asked till the very end.

Interview Questions

• When did you graduate college?
      What is your GPA?
      Can you pass a background check?

Jan 11, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you applying for one of our opportunities. It is our goal to evaluate every applicant’s profile against the requirements of the position and the career standards of the company. We hire ... More

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Interview

I received an email from one of their "Talent Acquisition Specialists" inviting me to set up a phone interview. The interview started smoothly and the job seemed to be a great fit for what I was looking for, but unfortunately it required me to spend 3 out of 5 working days traveling overnight which is not conducive to my obligations outside of work. I very politely explained that situation, and the specialist's attitude could not have changed faster. Now, I work at a staffing agency, and I understand our recruiters' disappointment when a candidate they are screening turns out not to be a fit. But they always practice professionalism and gracefully end the conversation, wishing the candidate best of luck in their search at the very least. This girl I was speaking with rudely scoffed once I declined to move further in the process and was extremely quick to hang up on me. Not even a "thank you for your time." If that is the type of professionalism at the company, I am entirely glad that I realized it wouldn't be a fit this early in the process.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 11, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re sorry you had an unpleasant interview with one of our recruiters. We wish you the best of luck in your career!

Travelling Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a 5 part process. The recruiter contacted me, we did a phone interview where the position was described. I then took a personality assessment, don't be honest or you will shoot yourself in the foot since the interview questions stem directly from this assessment. After the assessment, the recruiter called to review the results and set up an virtual interview with the person who would be my direct report. Before that interview they had me take a Wonderlic assessment to determine what level in the company I would be able to work. They would not share the results of the assessment, but did share what level I would be able to work. The recruiter called after the interview to follow up and set up the next interview. The final interview was also virtual. Over all I felt that it was a good experience, but I got the feeling that they had made up their minds earlier in the process.

Interview Questions

• Interview 1:
      How important is autonomy to you?
      Name a time you felt overwhelmed and how you dealt with it?

Interview 2:
      Mainly focused on background and experience.

Jan 19, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience.

Entry Level Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me pretty quickly. There was an initial "interview" on the phone and I was invited in for a 1:1. I then was asked back for a 2nd interview. I declined later, as I had accepted another, more competitive offer that was in line with my experience and education.

Pros: The interviewer was friendly and professional. It wasn't intimidating, more just like meeting someone new and talking about yourself and your skills. The recruiter was very clear about the position and the expectations not only for the job but interview as well. They seemed willing to take a look at what you could do and offer a position that might be a better fit for your skills, although not much further out of the box than what you applied for.

Cons: The company deals with sensitive financial information and wants to screen people well, but 3 rounds of interviews (phone screen, 1:1 and a second 1:1) for an entry level position seemed a little excessive, although understandable.

Interview Questions

• What is a misconception that people might have about you?   Answer Question

Jan 19, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for your detailed interview review. We wish you the best of luck in your new career!

Junior ExecutiveSales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Paycom in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in the beginning of January, 2017. I began with an informational phone call where I was told about the company. I then did a formal phone interview with my recruiter. After another 3 weeks, I had an interview with the Regional Vice President of Sales via GoToMeeting. On to the 4th round, I interviewed with the Phoenix office sales manager via GoToMeeting. After this interview, I waited a full 4 weeks to hear back from my recruiter. On April 3rd, I received my offer. I completed a drug test, and full background and reference check. But, after a Minor in Possession of alcohol (MIP) ticket was found on my record from when I was a teenager, my offer was revoked. It took until April 26th to receive my official rejection letter. All in all, it was an unprofessional and lengthy process where I was left in the dark the majority of the time. Would not recommend to a friend.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

May 2, 2017 – Representative

We’re sorry for the delayed notifications; however, it is our goal to ensure we are hiring the best candidate possible and considering the amount of highly qualified candidates we get, the process ... More

Transition Specialist Representative Interview

Interview

A recruiter had contacted me saying she thought I'd be a great fit for this job and had seen my resume on a job board. She had sent me an email and also called me and left a voicemail saying she was excited about me joining the company and wanted to schedule a phone interview. I was busy and wasn't able to respond for a few days, so she then sent me a couple of other emails and phone calls. When I called her back, she was really excited and wanted to set up an interview immediately. When we had finally had our phone interview, she told me again she was excited for me to join the company and thought I'd be a great fit for the role, and she told me to first complete a series of assessments. She then sent me another email saying she thought I would be a great fit for this position. After I had finished the assessment, she called me again the next day and told me to call her back. When I called her, she said she had a few other questions for me. At the end of our call, she had told me again she had thought I was a great fit for the role and was excited to get me started. The next day, I received an email saying I would not be moving on in the process. All this after she had called and emailed me about 5 times trying to get a hold of me to interview and saying she was excited for me to get started and saying I was a good fit? She was nice during our talks, but I don't know why she kept on calling and emailing me so many times. I hadn't heard of Paycom before and wasn't looking at Paycom until she had kept on trying to contact me to talk to her. I would recommend that the recruiter I had dealt with act more professional and not try to keep on contacting me everyday to interview me and string me along by saying she's excited for me to join or that I'm a great fit if that isn't the case.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Dec 15, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve our interview process. Our goal is to give the best experience to each candidate during every step of the process, even when we’ve made ... More