Paycom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

I usually try as much as I can to be objective and always leave positive reviews but unfortunately I have to explain how my experience was with PAYCOM.
    I was contacted 2 months ago on linkedln by a PAYCOM recruiter(I wont mention names because my aim is not to get anyone in trouble). He said he was pleased with my resume and would like to know when I would be available to set up a 20mins phone call interview. I replied immediately and said I would be available all day the next day. I never heard from him until two months later after I reached out to him expressing my interest in a position that had just been opened. This time around he called me and after the call he sent a link to take an assessment test which I took that same day. He called me the next morning and said I passed the test with a score HIGHER than 80 (which was a good score according to him) and would like to set up an interview with me and a lead architect and the Director of development. I went to the location, did the interview with the lead, answered few technical questions. Everything about the interview went smoothly and really well, I could tell the lead was pleased and was satisfied with the interview because he had said so, but unfortunately they couldn’t get me to meet with the director of development because he was in a meeting. The recruiter was ready to move forward with the process by setting up an interview with the director. I had driven two hours to that location, even though I didn’t have a problem driving back again another day I would have preferred to complete the interview process as soon as I could. So I told the recruiter that I was still going to hang around the city for some hours or even till the next day and he promised to send a text or an email within the next 15mins regarding a potential interview with the director based on his schedule. The text was also going to inform me if the interview would be a phone screen or an onsite interview. That would have been the perfect plan if he actually came through with his promise. I never got that text. I stayed at a friend’s in the city till the next day hoping to get the text or email. I also sent an email and left a voice message reminding the recruiter of the agreement and letting him know I was still around. I never got a reply, not even an acknowledgement or confirmation that he received the emails or whatsoever. Since then I have sent a couple of emails and tried to call but no response from him. Its been almost THREE weeks now and not even a word from PAYCOM. I don’t even know where I stand with them. I don’t know If they want to move forward or not. Due to the fact that I’m not sure about my interview progress it’s harder to make other job decisions. Inasmuch as I would love to work for PAYCOM, I would have appreciated it more if he had told me that they decided to not move forward because of my race, height, clothes, or because my wife is active duty military or something (im sure its not my GPA because I have a GPA higher than 3.8) rather than ignore me like I never existed. What I am saying is that any excuse would have been better than radio silence. I just started looking for jobs and most companies have been very clear and would tell me “we are looking to employ in 3months time” or “ you may not hear from us until after 3weeks” or the “position has been filled”, But this behavior by PAYCOM is by far the most unprofessional behavior I have ever experienced.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s a wonderful company to work for and I’m sure there are better recruiters at PAYCOM, I may just have been unlucky to have been contacted by this particular recruiter. But then again he is a representative of PAYCOM

Interview Questions

• Based on your work experience or from school project describe a situation where you faced a technical problem and you dealt with it. there were technical questions about SQL, hashing, arrays, etc   1 Answer

Nov 1, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to improve our application and interviewing process. Currently, as part of the application process we look at several qualifications: experience ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fair, was brought in for an in person interview after a skype screen with the hr. After that was brought in again to for set up three appointments with the team.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself
      why are you leaving your old job
      what motivates you
      Answer Question

Oct 31, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stillwater, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Stillwater, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my College website. It took around 2-3 weeks. They conducted two rounds of interview first at our college and the second one was conducted at their head office (Oklahoma City)

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 4, 2016 – Representative

Welcome to the Paycom team!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in October 2016.

Interview

Very bluntly, this place is not full of the best and brightest.

The structure was this:
    1. Video conference session with the recruiter (She logged in as someone else though? Strange)
    1.a. Follow up is more extensive application & Wonderlic exam
    2. On-site interview with hiring manager (Manager only oversees outside reps, other staff in office are not direct reports)
    3. Come back for a presentation to the team (Not defined on audience/objective/nada) and then hit the phones to set appointments for 4 hours.
    4. Final interview with Sales Director (Did not reach this stage)

My initial interaction with the recruiter and hiring manager went well, with the usual broad questions to lean more about me & Paycom, yada yada. The first on-site with the hiring manager was great, she seemed engaged and excited, and didn't offer any extremely challenging questions.

The 2nd on-site, however, was a disaster.

I was given a list of companies/names/numbers and told to set appointments...with a phone that didn't work. I focused on making dials and getting my appointments, while also ensuring I was engaging with the team (They wanted nothing to do with me, and refused to sit/provide feedback during this call session). After obtaining the necessary appointments (And pushing for more), I was surprised that there was no wrap-up or feedback session at the end. The hiring manager was more focused at that point with the next interview candidate (I wish I could have told the guy to run) and her take-out lunch.

Takeaways:
    Very unprofessional
    Be expected to play Pictionary
    Hiring manager will not give you control of your mouse during your presentation (Why? I built the deck, let me drive)
    Sales process/cycle seems entirely numbers based, not focused on client value. Effectively they're in a competitor bracket (Small Businesses) where you just have to be the best of the worst, not the best.
    Their work day starts at 7:30 am

I am 100% honest in stating that I was deemed not a qualified fit for this outside sales role as I was not a 24-32 y/o woman who would work well with other 25-32 y/o women in a small, open cube style office. Simple as that.

Avoid this organization at all costs and look for better opportunities. If I wasn't directly head hunted I would not have considered this position.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 11, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to continually improve the interview process and provide candidates the best experience possible. Paycom strives to find the best professionals that fit our ... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview had 3 rounds,
    First, an on-campus interview.
    Second, an online test on PHP mySQL and C#.
    Third, an onsite interview with a Senior Developer.

On campus was the longest one had mostly technical questions and a few behavioral which included classic questions like why this company, why your university, my major interests and previous work.
    Online test is pretty simple, if you know basics of PHP C# and MySQL. I did my homework so it was easy.
    On-site was just a 5 min interview. No technical stuff at all, just questions about my previous work.

Overall the experience was really awesome, simple and straight forward. The HR dept. rep was really helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Anagram
      Count of each unique character in a string.
      SQL Groupby.
      Answer Question

Nov 10, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the kind words about our interview process. Welcome to the Paycom team!

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a very extensive interview, starting with a 30 minute call that was like an interview, then an interview a manager and a supervisor (including a knowledge quiz), and ending with an interview with a director. Though they do a very robust process, it was really fast, and everything happened in around 10 to 15 days. Recruiting process in amazingly fast and effective, you get a response in less time than most places.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 14, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. Welcome to the Paycom team!

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Bad experience. The person that was interviewing me was late for 30 minutes, then barely apologized. Then, at the end I rejected the offer because the company doesn't seem to appreciate diversity. To me, that is very important. Go the their website, you only see caucasian males and females.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for your feedback. If an interviewer is going to be late for an interview the candidate should be aware in the event it needs to be rescheduled. We hope that was the case for you. Paycom is ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Started with an Initial Phone Screen with a Paycom recruiter , On-site manager Interview, Phone Canvassing for four hours in the office (Basically just cold calling and trying to set meetings. Was required to set three meetings in this time) , Regional Manager Interview (via web cam), Chief Sales Officer Interview ( via web cam).

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview questions about my experience, personality. Situational questions.   1 Answer

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First round was an initial 20min video interview with a recruiter. After that it was an initial 45-60min video interview with the Branch Manager (or in person if in the same city.
    If asked to move forward in the process there is an in person interview that lasts 4 hours. You have to give a 5-10min presentation about yourself and the company, and then actually set appointments with clients. The goal is 3, but they really are looking to see how you handle objection as well as how you handle yourself on the phones.
    If successful from that point, you are moved on to meet with the Regional Manager who is just running through you background again and making sure they see fit you are capable of performing the role.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review!

Communication Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in September 2016.

Interview

Typical interview process with mostly predictable questions. Definitely come prepared as it's not easy, but it's on par with what you should expect from any reputable company. I was first screen on phone within two days of submitting my application online, and then had two interviews and a job offer within three days.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 1, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. Welcome to the Paycom team!