Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Paycom

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Parsippany, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Paycom has a quota for how many people they need to interview per week. You know what that means? Probably high turnover. Can't believe I even considered this place as an option, it wasn't for me. I got past the phone screen, into a webcam interview, went in for an in-person, and then went in for phone canvassing (for 3 hours). It was all good until that last day when they rushed me out the door.

My favorite part? Phone canvassing on Good Friday. First of all, the people we were cold calling didn't want to be cold called. Second, they don't want to be working on Good Friday. Last, they DEFINITELY did not want to hear from Paycom.

I spoke to the few folks that didn't cringe and hang up instantly upon hearing 'Paycom.' Instead of shoving Paycom down their throats, I had nice conversations with them. I asked some probing questions, dug a bit deeper. What'd I learn? People don't want to hear from Paycom and most were irritated to hear from me. What else? When someone asks to be taken off the calling list and the manager is notified - guess what? You have to remove the person from the calling list. At least last I checked. I think there are laws...

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see what the inside of the place looks like - nothing special, btw. And yeah, you could say I'm a bit bitter. One could even say I'm just not cut out for sales. But seriously, did I change your mind about Paycom at all? In closing, go google "best human capital management software." What do you see?

Interview Questions

• Basic questions can be answered with basic answers.   1 Answer

May 24, 2016 – Representative

We are proud of our employee retention numbers as they are some of the best in the business. We are also receiving a high volume of incredibly talented individuals who wish to join our unbelievable... More

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (Stamford, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Screen
    2. Webcam Screen
    3. Face to Face
    4. Phone Canvassing
    5. Webcam interview with VP

First phone screen is pretty straight forward. The webcam screen is done so the HR person can see you and make sure you don't have any face tattoos or septum piercings. The goal of the phone canvassing was to schedule 3 appointments. They had me do this heads up with another applicant and we both scheduled three appointments. The director is pretty involved with this. I think they want to see how you overcome objections and react to constructive criticism. Final interview was immediately after the phone canvassing with the VP. This is a 20 to 30 min formal interview and he/she will have the final decision.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

May 24, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for your interest in Paycom. We know it can be upsetting to not be selected and as you can tell by our process, we take every hire very seriously. We wish you the best! If you can offer any... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Cleveland, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited by an external recruiting firm about the position. The recruiter was very excited about the position and that excitement translated into me wanting to pursue the opportunity. You be selling payroll and HR services. Think ADP, Paychex, etc. Paycom sells the same service.

After the phone screen with the external recruiter, it was onto the next interview via Skype with a Paycom corporate talent acquisition representative. This involved more in depth questions and she was very excited about the position. I passed this interview and was advanced to a face-to-face interview with the new local regional manager. From this point, it went completely down hill. He seemed very uninterested in what I had to say and the questions he asked seemed to be forced as if he was "going through the motions." No personality and it was all he could do to brag about the reps he mentored to be able to afford expensive cars, not career goals or aspirations. I was shocked that I was recommended for the last phase of the interview given how this interview was going. It was like I was wasting his time. Paycom describes this last interview as "phone canvassing," in which you come to the office your interviewing for and literally cold call for 4 hours to set appointments and hope they hire you.

The corporate recruiting team paints a picture telling you how awesome this is going to be and is the last phase in the process prior to being hired. My experience was awful in the new Cleveland office and was told to use my personal cell phone rather than the office phones because they didn't want the caller ID to show up Paycom in fear you wouldn't make contact or an appointment. It was a waste of precious time where I could have been interviewing elsewhere.

Be careful with this company, as their business practices seem to be an issue which includes how they hire people. Do not waste your time with the phone canvassing session. All you do is chase businesses using ADP, Paychex, and Paycor. And the lists you call from have been used where other reps or candidates already called. So, you're already calling on businesses that have most likely said no in the past few weeks.

Save yourself the time for a real company that offers a real career opportunity. It's odd that people reviewing Paycom give a 5 star rating and say how wonderful the work environment is. I seriously doubt they are being truthful and have been forced to give a 5 star rating and review.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to convince a customer to buy from you and why?   Answer Question

This company is skeptical and their business practices are very questionable and do not align with my high standards in an employer. Save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

Apr 13, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate all feedback and will use this as a means to improve the interview processes. Your experience is not the norm and we are looking into this further. All Glassdoor reviews come straight... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Tampa, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

Was first reached out by a senior recruiter on linked-in in January, 2016. After replying, I did not hear back from the recruiter for about 2 weeks and sent another message to try to get a hold of him. Nothing was heard back and the trail went cold for a while until a classmate of mine referred me to another recruiter and I began speaking with him. I spoke with him several times and picked out a location that I wanted to pursue, after that I spoke with the Manager of that office over gotomeeting. The meeting went well and I had high hopes that it was in the bag, later to find out from the recruiter that I had spoken to that they had gone with "a more experienced prospect" but that they wanted to me to interview with another location. I began the process with the next office and interviewed first with the manager of the office and then with regional vp of the area. After those meeting I was invited to the "phone canvassing" session with the goal of setting 3 meetings. This is straight cold calling on old crm accounts that have either been looked at or pursued by Paycom in the past. I ended up closing three meetings and was quickly shooed out the door with no feedback so that they could interview someone else in that time. 2 weeks later I was called by the recruiter to be told that they were once again going with "a more experienced prospect. Throughout the process I sent follow up emails to each manager that I spoke with to thank them for their time and wish them the best and was never once gotten back to. If that is the type of attention that a company gives to you before you are even hired then I cannot imagine how their employees are treated.Overall from what I saw, This company does have a solid product and goal but all of the management that I had contact with seemed to be very unresponsive and disconnected.

Interview Questions

• Why hire you over another prospect?
      How do you recover from rejection?   Answer Question

Jun 7, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate all feedback and will use this as a means to improve the interview processes. Your experience is not the norm and your comments have been sent to our director of recruiting.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I was working with a recruiter who recommended Paycom after I told them I wanted to work for a company with the following criteria:
    -a great work culture
    -growth potential to climb the corporate ladder
    -uncapped commission structure because I'm an aggressive salesman
    -a technology/SaaS model

He let me know the interview process would be difficult but everyone who worked at the company that he had placed loved it and so I went home that night and did my research. I was contacted by a Paycom recruiter for a phone interview followed by a skype interview. After that, they invited me to their sales office to interview with the manager. You will need to complete a phone canvassing session in which you'll have to set 3 appointments or you will not be job offered. This will be followed by an interview with the manager and a regional and you must make sure to close/ ask for the job if you want an offer.

Interview Questions

• You should be prepared to answer any metrics questions if you're in sales and discuss what personally motivates you. Hobbies may come up or they may ask you behavioral questions to determine your problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Jun 15, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Portland, OR) in March 2016.

Interview

First an interview with a recruiter out of the corporate office, then an interview with the Sales Manager for whom you'll be working, then an interview with the Regional VP of Sales. After the interviews, you go into the office for a phone canvassing session: required to book 3 appointments off of cold-calls within a matter of 4 hours. BE PERSISTENT and DETERMINED. I didn't finish within 4 hours, I asked for more time, and they let me continue.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you failed, and how you moved through it and learned from it.   1 Answer
    • There is a lot of rejection in this outside sales role, how do you plan to manage that?   1 Answer

May 23, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the interview review, and welcome to the Paycom team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by an outside recruiter and this involved a quick phone interview to ensure I qualified for what Paycom was looking for. Then I did a Skype interview with one of Paycom's corporate recruiters. This followed with an office interview with the sales manager where she basically wanted to get to know me personally outside of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the role and if I would fit in with the company's culture.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process has multiple steps and is extremely thorough. It gives both the candidate (myself) and Paycom (managers and team members) an adequate opportunity to learn more about each other, position and to ensure that it is a good fit for everyone involved. I, as a candidate, wanted to make sure that in any change I made, I knew exactly what my role was going to look like. The interview process at Paycom gave me a complete look at the company, management team, sales team and sales process. They were honest and upfront about the role and the expectations. Everyone was extremely professional and informative.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific questions that caught me off guard or that I didn't prepare for through research and my work history.   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

I had a Face Time interview with a Paycom recruiter first. This interview was organized and detailed. She asked a lot of questions pertaining to my experience and the position I had applied for. She then arranged an in-person interview with the manager in Miami and this was not a very thorough interview. I was only asked 2 general questions by the him before he confessed that he had forgotten the other questions he had planned to ask. I felt that he was very unprepared and it was a total waste of my time. This is a very entry level company and the young managers are not able to handle the hiring process.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. The director of recruiting has been made aware of your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter and set up a FaceTime interview/meeting. This went well and was about 40 minutes long. Very basic where she asked about my background and I asked all of my questions. From there, I went to and in person meeting with the local Sales Manager. Similar questions, very professional and seemed like a good guy. Then I made it to the phone canvassing stage where you come in for 4 hours and make prospecting calls. Essentially, you need to make 3+ appointments to move to the final interview. I ended up setting 4 and everything went well. The team was great and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Normally you immediately have a go-to meeting with a Regional Manager but this one was not available. So we set it for a different date.

This is where it got bad. The guy I interviewed with was a jerk. He slouched and leaned back in his seat, didn't know I was currently working (which was nice considering I had taken off work two times to meet with them!), told me a previous job sounded "easy," - it wasn't. I have 5+ years of professional sales experience but he was asking me about college? I graduated 6 years ago buddy. I could go on and on... But ultimately, I did not get an offer which is probably for the best. The local team and manager were great but the last guy was a jerk.

I believe they are looking for a more green candidate and it wouldn't be a bad place to start but with little sales experience, this would have a very steep learning curve in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What sets Paycom apart for you? What's the last book you've read?   Answer Question

Mar 14, 2016 – Representative

We’re sorry you had an unpleasant experience with one of our hiring managers. We aim to be respectful of our candidates’ time and ensure our hiring managers are aware of each applicants career... More