Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Lewisville, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me about the position. They submitted me, and I had a phone interview a week later. After a brief phone interview with basic questions such as name three characteristics a colleague would describe you have, name a time you overcame adversity, why are you looking for a new position, etc. I was brought in for an in person interview.

I took off work, drove over 45 minutes, spent $20 in tolls, and spent hours preparing myself for this interview. I got there, they had me take a 15 minute Wonderlic test and got to spend 15 minutes with the Sales Manager before they sent me on my way. I actually spent more time driving one way than I got to spend with the manager.

Overall, I felt like it was very rushed and extremely unprofessional. When asking questions to the Sales Manager, he couldn't give me straight answers to any of them. For example, I asked what territory were they hiring for specifically, and he actually told me that "We're not sure at this point. I have the northern territory, so we're still evaluating." I mean come on?

After the interview, I emailed the manager and HR rep to thank them for their time and was informed a week later, without a response, that they were pursuing other candidates. I already had my doubts regarding the company after the reviews online and the interview process, so I'm very pleased to no longer have to consider Paycom as a potential employer.

Interview Questions

• Name three characteristics your current colleagues would describe you have. Name a time you overcame adversity. Why are you interested in Paycom? How did you hear about us?   Answer Question

Feb 17, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback as we’re always striving to improve the candidate experience. At Paycom, we always aim to be respectful of our candidates time. We apologize for the lack of communication ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. She was very enthusiastic and quick to follow-up. We had a Skype meeting and it went very well!

Planned meeting with Regional Sales Manager on the spot. Interview was focused around the financial benefits, closing deals, success of the team, and the technology they use. Took a online personality test beforehand.

Next step is to use their list to cold call potential clients and set up three meetings.

This position is for someone who has years of B2B experience and who has dealt with businesses that have a large number of employees. You have to be very aggressive and passionate about winning new business.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Representative

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in November 2016.

Interview

I was sought out via LinkedIn by a recruiter who simply asked if I wanted more information about the position. We had a quick phone call where he just talked about what the job entailed and I was able to ask any questions I had. After this, he passed me onto the hiring manager for the office I was applying for. I went in and had about a pretty casual 45 minute conversation where we went over my resume, talked about why I was looking for a change, and then they answered any questions I had. From here, we scheduled my presentation and phone canvassing interview for a few days later.

For the presentation piece, the recruiter was available and extremely responsive if I had any questions before hand. What they're looking for here is that you can pitch Paycom to a group of people. You do not need to go too in depth and make sure you at least try to have fun with it! I did about a 6 minute Powerpoint.

For the phone canvassing piece, you are required to make three appointments in four hours. The recruiter recommended I read 'Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!)' by Stephen Schiffman. This helped me a ton and I highly recommend it before phone canvassing. Before we started cold calling, I was able to practice a little with the sales reps-- they are there to help! Ask them questions! The biggest advice I can give here is be tenacious and coachable. Do not put the phone down and if something isn't working, ask for help or try a different talk track. Persistence is key!

After this, I spoke with the hiring manager again and then was put on a call with the regional manager where we spoke a little bit about my background.

TIP: MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE HIRING MANAGER. Ask for the job.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 22, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed review. We're happy to have you on the Paycom team!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in October 2016.

Interview

Very bluntly, this place is not full of the best and brightest.

The structure was this:
    1. Video conference session with the recruiter (She logged in as someone else though? Strange)
    1.a. Follow up is more extensive application & Wonderlic exam
    2. On-site interview with hiring manager (Manager only oversees outside reps, other staff in office are not direct reports)
    3. Come back for a presentation to the team (Not defined on audience/objective/nada) and then hit the phones to set appointments for 4 hours.
    4. Final interview with Sales Director (Did not reach this stage)

My initial interaction with the recruiter and hiring manager went well, with the usual broad questions to lean more about me & Paycom, yada yada. The first on-site with the hiring manager was great, she seemed engaged and excited, and didn't offer any extremely challenging questions.

The 2nd on-site, however, was a disaster.

I was given a list of companies/names/numbers and told to set appointments...with a phone that didn't work. I focused on making dials and getting my appointments, while also ensuring I was engaging with the team (They wanted nothing to do with me, and refused to sit/provide feedback during this call session). After obtaining the necessary appointments (And pushing for more), I was surprised that there was no wrap-up or feedback session at the end. The hiring manager was more focused at that point with the next interview candidate (I wish I could have told the guy to run) and her take-out lunch.

Takeaways:
    Very unprofessional
    Be expected to play Pictionary
    Hiring manager will not give you control of your mouse during your presentation (Why? I built the deck, let me drive)
    Sales process/cycle seems entirely numbers based, not focused on client value. Effectively they're in a competitor bracket (Small Businesses) where you just have to be the best of the worst, not the best.
    Their work day starts at 7:30 am

I am 100% honest in stating that I was deemed not a qualified fit for this outside sales role as I was not a 24-32 y/o woman who would work well with other 25-32 y/o women in a small, open cube style office. Simple as that.

Avoid this organization at all costs and look for better opportunities. If I wasn't directly head hunted I would not have considered this position.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 11, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to continually improve the interview process and provide candidates the best experience possible. Paycom strives to find the best professionals that fit our ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First round was an initial 20min video interview with a recruiter. After that it was an initial 45-60min video interview with the Branch Manager (or in person if in the same city.
    If asked to move forward in the process there is an in person interview that lasts 4 hours. You have to give a 5-10min presentation about yourself and the company, and then actually set appointments with clients. The goal is 3, but they really are looking to see how you handle objection as well as how you handle yourself on the phones.
    If successful from that point, you are moved on to meet with the Regional Manager who is just running through you background again and making sure they see fit you are capable of performing the role.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I was working with a recruiter who recommended Paycom after I told them I wanted to work for a company with the following criteria:
    -a great work culture
    -growth potential to climb the corporate ladder
    -uncapped commission structure because I'm an aggressive salesman
    -a technology/SaaS model

He let me know the interview process would be difficult but everyone who worked at the company that he had placed loved it and so I went home that night and did my research. I was contacted by a Paycom recruiter for a phone interview followed by a skype interview. After that, they invited me to their sales office to interview with the manager. You will need to complete a phone canvassing session in which you'll have to set 3 appointments or you will not be job offered. This will be followed by an interview with the manager and a regional and you must make sure to close/ ask for the job if you want an offer.

Interview Questions

• You should be prepared to answer any metrics questions if you're in sales and discuss what personally motivates you. Hobbies may come up or they may ask you behavioral questions to determine your problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Jun 15, 2016 – Representative

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

I had a Face Time interview with a Paycom recruiter first. This interview was organized and detailed. She asked a lot of questions pertaining to my experience and the position I had applied for. She then arranged an in-person interview with the manager in Miami and this was not a very thorough interview. I was only asked 2 general questions by the him before he confessed that he had forgotten the other questions he had planned to ask. I felt that he was very unprepared and it was a total waste of my time. This is a very entry level company and the young managers are not able to handle the hiring process.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. The director of recruiting has been made aware of your experience.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was referred in (highly suggested) and applying remotely so my process was slightly modified. Had a phone call with the corporate recruiter, GoTo Meeting (coat and tie) with my potential manager, 4 hour cold calling session to procure three appointments, post cold call I met in person with my potential manager and regional manager, separately. Word of advice: close the deal when meeting with them.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by an outside recruiter and this involved a quick phone interview to ensure I qualified for what Paycom was looking for. Then I did a Skype interview with one of Paycom's corporate recruiters. This followed with an office interview with the sales manager where she basically wanted to get to know me personally outside of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the role and if I would fit in with the company's culture.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process has multiple steps and is extremely thorough. It gives both the candidate (myself) and Paycom (managers and team members) an adequate opportunity to learn more about each other, position and to ensure that it is a good fit for everyone involved. I, as a candidate, wanted to make sure that in any change I made, I knew exactly what my role was going to look like. The interview process at Paycom gave me a complete look at the company, management team, sales team and sales process. They were honest and upfront about the role and the expectations. Everyone was extremely professional and informative.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific questions that caught me off guard or that I didn't prepare for through research and my work history.   Answer Question