Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

First off let me start by saying this. If you are a brown person and you are interested in a position here, I would stay away! Keep reading and you will know why.

I applied to the position through Linked in and was reached out to by Email for a webcam interview. The recruiter was very nice and a genuinely good person. When we got on the Skype call, he saw my face (I had a small beard) and told me that he now has put a "face to the name" and that we can talk on the phone instead of on Skype. Which was not a big deal because we were having sound issues with Skype. The interview was fine, and at the end he set up a face to face with the manager at the office. Before we hung up, he asked me about my beard, He asked me if it was for religion or for something else. He also told me that if I want my chances of moving forward to be higher that I should shave. He told me that the reason for this was to "look more professional" and so the manager doesn't say "oh he doesn't listen to orders". I was okay with shaving but my point is, if you are growing a beard for religion you are out of luck, you will be discriminated against and your chances of moving forward will be lower...

The recruiter loved me and even sent me tips on how to do well in the next interview.

Face to Face interview ---

When I went to the Face to Face interview, The manager saw me waiting out the door and walked towards me the door to open it, when he saw my face, he proceeded to stop give me the "wait" finger and started talking to one of his co-workers, right in front of me. As I waited there for what seemed to be 5 minutes, he finally stop talking to his coworker and let me in. (felt like i was at a zoo being watched) Anyways, when I got in the office, every SINGLE PERSON was white. no diversity what so ever. Being a brown person, I am used to this kind of thing when it comes to big companies like this. Anyways, when I was in the office with him, we talked a bit about my self, and how I grew up and he asked me a couple of interview questions. During my interview, he told me that this was to get to know me and it was nothing too formal, but he did not seem interested at all to what I was saying and was looking at his computer screen.

When the interview was over, I closed and asked next steps. He told me that he still had to talk to the recruiter and if they "think I am a good fit they will contact me" ... but I thought this was a personality interview rather than how well i could do the job???

Long story short, it felt Awkward, I felt like the odd ball out, I saw a couple of negative reviews on here before my interviews about the company discriminating if you are brown, I dismissed them as people who were mad they didn't get the job but they turned out to be right.

Moral of the interview process -- If you are Brown or if you have a beard, dont apply here, you most likely wont get it.

Thanks for tuning in folks, and good luck!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments very seriously. We take pride in the ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Lewisville, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me about the position. They submitted me, and I had a phone interview a week later. After a brief phone interview with basic questions such as name three characteristics a colleague would describe you have, name a time you overcame adversity, why are you looking for a new position, etc. I was brought in for an in person interview.

I took off work, drove over 45 minutes, spent $20 in tolls, and spent hours preparing myself for this interview. I got there, they had me take a 15 minute Wonderlic test and got to spend 15 minutes with the Sales Manager before they sent me on my way. I actually spent more time driving one way than I got to spend with the manager.

Overall, I felt like it was very rushed and extremely unprofessional. When asking questions to the Sales Manager, he couldn't give me straight answers to any of them. For example, I asked what territory were they hiring for specifically, and he actually told me that "We're not sure at this point. I have the northern territory, so we're still evaluating." I mean come on?

After the interview, I emailed the manager and HR rep to thank them for their time and was informed a week later, without a response, that they were pursuing other candidates. I already had my doubts regarding the company after the reviews online and the interview process, so I'm very pleased to no longer have to consider Paycom as a potential employer.

Interview Questions

• Name three characteristics your current colleagues would describe you have. Name a time you overcame adversity. Why are you interested in Paycom? How did you hear about us?   Answer Question

Feb 17, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback as we’re always striving to improve the candidate experience. At Paycom, we always aim to be respectful of our candidates time. We apologize for the lack of communication ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. She was very enthusiastic and quick to follow-up. We had a Skype meeting and it went very well!

Planned meeting with Regional Sales Manager on the spot. Interview was focused around the financial benefits, closing deals, success of the team, and the technology they use. Took a online personality test beforehand.

Next step is to use their list to cold call potential clients and set up three meetings.

This position is for someone who has years of B2B experience and who has dealt with businesses that have a large number of employees. You have to be very aggressive and passionate about winning new business.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in October 2016.

Interview

Very bluntly, this place is not full of the best and brightest.

The structure was this:
    1. Video conference session with the recruiter (She logged in as someone else though? Strange)
    1.a. Follow up is more extensive application & Wonderlic exam
    2. On-site interview with hiring manager (Manager only oversees outside reps, other staff in office are not direct reports)
    3. Come back for a presentation to the team (Not defined on audience/objective/nada) and then hit the phones to set appointments for 4 hours.
    4. Final interview with Sales Director (Did not reach this stage)

My initial interaction with the recruiter and hiring manager went well, with the usual broad questions to lean more about me & Paycom, yada yada. The first on-site with the hiring manager was great, she seemed engaged and excited, and didn't offer any extremely challenging questions.

The 2nd on-site, however, was a disaster.

I was given a list of companies/names/numbers and told to set appointments...with a phone that didn't work. I focused on making dials and getting my appointments, while also ensuring I was engaging with the team (They wanted nothing to do with me, and refused to sit/provide feedback during this call session). After obtaining the necessary appointments (And pushing for more), I was surprised that there was no wrap-up or feedback session at the end. The hiring manager was more focused at that point with the next interview candidate (I wish I could have told the guy to run) and her take-out lunch.

Takeaways:
    Very unprofessional
    Be expected to play Pictionary
    Hiring manager will not give you control of your mouse during your presentation (Why? I built the deck, let me drive)
    Sales process/cycle seems entirely numbers based, not focused on client value. Effectively they're in a competitor bracket (Small Businesses) where you just have to be the best of the worst, not the best.
    Their work day starts at 7:30 am

I am 100% honest in stating that I was deemed not a qualified fit for this outside sales role as I was not a 24-32 y/o woman who would work well with other 25-32 y/o women in a small, open cube style office. Simple as that.

Avoid this organization at all costs and look for better opportunities. If I wasn't directly head hunted I would not have considered this position.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 11, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to continually improve the interview process and provide candidates the best experience possible. Paycom strives to find the best professionals that fit our ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First round was an initial 20min video interview with a recruiter. After that it was an initial 45-60min video interview with the Branch Manager (or in person if in the same city.
    If asked to move forward in the process there is an in person interview that lasts 4 hours. You have to give a 5-10min presentation about yourself and the company, and then actually set appointments with clients. The goal is 3, but they really are looking to see how you handle objection as well as how you handle yourself on the phones.
    If successful from that point, you are moved on to meet with the Regional Manager who is just running through you background again and making sure they see fit you are capable of performing the role.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Miami, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

I had a Face Time interview with a Paycom recruiter first. This interview was organized and detailed. She asked a lot of questions pertaining to my experience and the position I had applied for. She then arranged an in-person interview with the manager in Miami and this was not a very thorough interview. I was only asked 2 general questions by the him before he confessed that he had forgotten the other questions he had planned to ask. I felt that he was very unprepared and it was a total waste of my time. This is a very entry level company and the young managers are not able to handle the hiring process.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing. The director of recruiting has been made aware of your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

I was first contacted by an outside recruiter and this involved a quick phone interview to ensure I qualified for what Paycom was looking for. Then I did a Skype interview with one of Paycom's corporate recruiters. This followed with an office interview with the sales manager where she basically wanted to get to know me personally outside of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the role and if I would fit in with the company's culture.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Tampa, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

Was first reached out by a senior recruiter on linked-in in January, 2016. After replying, I did not hear back from the recruiter for about 2 weeks and sent another message to try to get a hold of him. Nothing was heard back and the trail went cold for a while until a classmate of mine referred me to another recruiter and I began speaking with him. I spoke with him several times and picked out a location that I wanted to pursue, after that I spoke with the Manager of that office over gotomeeting. The meeting went well and I had high hopes that it was in the bag, later to find out from the recruiter that I had spoken to that they had gone with "a more experienced prospect" but that they wanted to me to interview with another location. I began the process with the next office and interviewed first with the manager of the office and then with regional vp of the area. After those meeting I was invited to the "phone canvassing" session with the goal of setting 3 meetings. This is straight cold calling on old crm accounts that have either been looked at or pursued by Paycom in the past. I ended up closing three meetings and was quickly shooed out the door with no feedback so that they could interview someone else in that time. 2 weeks later I was called by the recruiter to be told that they were once again going with "a more experienced prospect. Throughout the process I sent follow up emails to each manager that I spoke with to thank them for their time and wish them the best and was never once gotten back to. If that is the type of attention that a company gives to you before you are even hired then I cannot imagine how their employees are treated.Overall from what I saw, This company does have a solid product and goal but all of the management that I had contact with seemed to be very unresponsive and disconnected.

Interview Questions

• Why hire you over another prospect?
      How do you recover from rejection?
      Answer Question

Jun 7, 2016 – Representative

We appreciate all feedback and will use this as a means to improve the interview processes. Your experience is not the norm and your comments have been sent to our director of recruiting.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The process was okay. I had a recruiter reach out and interviewed over the phone with her for about a half hour. Straight forward, they move you on to a recruiter at Paycom. This interview, again, is straight forward and then the recruiter sets up a F2F with the sales manager. Again, nothing too hard. Asks why you want to work for Paycom. The next step is interesting. they set you up doing a cold call canvas. I had a pretty bad experience. The list is from their CRM, contacts are old (ex. he hasn't been here for 3 years), a couple of numbers were out of the territory, and they want you to lie about their product and people they helped to get meetings. If you think you will move on to the last step you have another thing coming. Don't assume anything. The question was avoided when I asked what the turnover was in a company like Paycom and what are the reasons someone might leave? I was run around the loop. So they basically got 3 leads for free. Knowing what I do, I would never do that again.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Mar 14, 2016 – Representative

As you saw firsthand through our detailed interview process, we are very meticulous when hiring for our sales team. One of the steps during a sales interview is phone canvassing prospects from our ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Parsippany, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Paycom has a quota for how many people they need to interview per week. You know what that means? Probably high turnover. Can't believe I even considered this place as an option, it wasn't for me. I got past the phone screen, into a webcam interview, went in for an in-person, and then went in for phone canvassing (for 3 hours). It was all good until that last day when they rushed me out the door.

My favorite part? Phone canvassing on Good Friday. First of all, the people we were cold calling didn't want to be cold called. Second, they don't want to be working on Good Friday. Last, they DEFINITELY did not want to hear from Paycom.

I spoke to the few folks that didn't cringe and hang up instantly upon hearing 'Paycom.' Instead of shoving Paycom down their throats, I had nice conversations with them. I asked some probing questions, dug a bit deeper. What'd I learn? People don't want to hear from Paycom and most were irritated to hear from me. What else? When someone asks to be taken off the calling list and the manager is notified - guess what? You have to remove the person from the calling list. At least last I checked. I think there are laws...

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see what the inside of the place looks like - nothing special, btw. And yeah, you could say I'm a bit bitter. One could even say I'm just not cut out for sales. But seriously, did I change your mind about Paycom at all? In closing, go google "best human capital management software." What do you see?

Interview Questions

• Basic questions can be answered with basic answers.   1 Answer

May 24, 2016 – Representative

We are proud of our employee retention numbers as they are some of the best in the business. We are also receiving a high volume of incredibly talented individuals who wish to join our unbelievable ... More