Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

First off let me start by saying this. If you are a brown person and you are interested in a position here, I would stay away! Keep reading and you will know why.

I applied to the position through Linked in and was reached out to by Email for a webcam interview. The recruiter was very nice and a genuinely good person. When we got on the Skype call, he saw my face (I had a small beard) and told me that he now has put a "face to the name" and that we can talk on the phone instead of on Skype. Which was not a big deal because we were having sound issues with Skype. The interview was fine, and at the end he set up a face to face with the manager at the office. Before we hung up, he asked me about my beard, He asked me if it was for religion or for something else. He also told me that if I want my chances of moving forward to be higher that I should shave. He told me that the reason for this was to "look more professional" and so the manager doesn't say "oh he doesn't listen to orders". I was okay with shaving but my point is, if you are growing a beard for religion you are out of luck, you will be discriminated against and your chances of moving forward will be lower...

The recruiter loved me and even sent me tips on how to do well in the next interview.

Face to Face interview ---

When I went to the Face to Face interview, The manager saw me waiting out the door and walked towards me the door to open it, when he saw my face, he proceeded to stop give me the "wait" finger and started talking to one of his co-workers, right in front of me. As I waited there for what seemed to be 5 minutes, he finally stop talking to his coworker and let me in. (felt like i was at a zoo being watched) Anyways, when I got in the office, every SINGLE PERSON was white. no diversity what so ever. Being a brown person, I am used to this kind of thing when it comes to big companies like this. Anyways, when I was in the office with him, we talked a bit about my self, and how I grew up and he asked me a couple of interview questions. During my interview, he told me that this was to get to know me and it was nothing too formal, but he did not seem interested at all to what I was saying and was looking at his computer screen.

When the interview was over, I closed and asked next steps. He told me that he still had to talk to the recruiter and if they "think I am a good fit they will contact me" ... but I thought this was a personality interview rather than how well i could do the job???

Long story short, it felt Awkward, I felt like the odd ball out, I saw a couple of negative reviews on here before my interviews about the company discriminating if you are brown, I dismissed them as people who were mad they didn't get the job but they turned out to be right.

Moral of the interview process -- If you are Brown or if you have a beard, dont apply here, you most likely wont get it.

Thanks for tuning in folks, and good luck!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments very seriously. We take pride in the ... More

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. She was very enthusiastic and quick to follow-up. We had a Skype meeting and it went very well!

Planned meeting with Regional Sales Manager on the spot. Interview was focused around the financial benefits, closing deals, success of the team, and the technology they use. Took a online personality test beforehand.

Next step is to use their list to cold call potential clients and set up three meetings.

This position is for someone who has years of B2B experience and who has dealt with businesses that have a large number of employees. You have to be very aggressive and passionate about winning new business.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Representative

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in November 2016.

Interview

I was sought out via LinkedIn by a recruiter who simply asked if I wanted more information about the position. We had a quick phone call where he just talked about what the job entailed and I was able to ask any questions I had. After this, he passed me onto the hiring manager for the office I was applying for. I went in and had about a pretty casual 45 minute conversation where we went over my resume, talked about why I was looking for a change, and then they answered any questions I had. From here, we scheduled my presentation and phone canvassing interview for a few days later.

For the presentation piece, the recruiter was available and extremely responsive if I had any questions before hand. What they're looking for here is that you can pitch Paycom to a group of people. You do not need to go too in depth and make sure you at least try to have fun with it! I did about a 6 minute Powerpoint.

For the phone canvassing piece, you are required to make three appointments in four hours. The recruiter recommended I read 'Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!)' by Stephen Schiffman. This helped me a ton and I highly recommend it before phone canvassing. Before we started cold calling, I was able to practice a little with the sales reps-- they are there to help! Ask them questions! The biggest advice I can give here is be tenacious and coachable. Do not put the phone down and if something isn't working, ask for help or try a different talk track. Persistence is key!

After this, I spoke with the hiring manager again and then was put on a call with the regional manager where we spoke a little bit about my background.

TIP: MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE HIRING MANAGER. Ask for the job.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 22, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed review. We're happy to have you on the Paycom team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

First round was an initial 20min video interview with a recruiter. After that it was an initial 45-60min video interview with the Branch Manager (or in person if in the same city.
    If asked to move forward in the process there is an in person interview that lasts 4 hours. You have to give a 5-10min presentation about yourself and the company, and then actually set appointments with clients. The goal is 3, but they really are looking to see how you handle objection as well as how you handle yourself on the phones.
    If successful from that point, you are moved on to meet with the Regional Manager who is just running through you background again and making sure they see fit you are capable of performing the role.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review!

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was referred in (highly suggested) and applying remotely so my process was slightly modified. Had a phone call with the corporate recruiter, GoTo Meeting (coat and tie) with my potential manager, 4 hour cold calling session to procure three appointments, post cold call I met in person with my potential manager and regional manager, separately. Word of advice: close the deal when meeting with them.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Aug 29, 2016 – Representative

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process has multiple steps and is extremely thorough. It gives both the candidate (myself) and Paycom (managers and team members) an adequate opportunity to learn more about each other, position and to ensure that it is a good fit for everyone involved. I, as a candidate, wanted to make sure that in any change I made, I knew exactly what my role was going to look like. The interview process at Paycom gave me a complete look at the company, management team, sales team and sales process. They were honest and upfront about the role and the expectations. Everyone was extremely professional and informative.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific questions that caught me off guard or that I didn't prepare for through research and my work history.   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (Stamford, CT) in March 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Screen
    2. Webcam Screen
    3. Face to Face
    4. Phone Canvassing
    5. Webcam interview with VP

First phone screen is pretty straight forward. The webcam screen is done so the HR person can see you and make sure you don't have any face tattoos or septum piercings. The goal of the phone canvassing was to schedule 3 appointments. They had me do this heads up with another applicant and we both scheduled three appointments. The director is pretty involved with this. I think they want to see how you overcome objections and react to constructive criticism. Final interview was immediately after the phone canvassing with the VP. This is a 20 to 30 min formal interview and he/she will have the final decision.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

May 24, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for your interest in Paycom. We know it can be upsetting to not be selected and as you can tell by our process, we take every hire very seriously. We wish you the best! If you can offer any ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter and set up a FaceTime interview/meeting. This went well and was about 40 minutes long. Very basic where she asked about my background and I asked all of my questions. From there, I went to and in person meeting with the local Sales Manager. Similar questions, very professional and seemed like a good guy. Then I made it to the phone canvassing stage where you come in for 4 hours and make prospecting calls. Essentially, you need to make 3+ appointments to move to the final interview. I ended up setting 4 and everything went well. The team was great and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Normally you immediately have a go-to meeting with a Regional Manager but this one was not available. So we set it for a different date.

This is where it got bad. The guy I interviewed with was a jerk. He slouched and leaned back in his seat, didn't know I was currently working (which was nice considering I had taken off work two times to meet with them!), told me a previous job sounded "easy," - it wasn't. I have 5+ years of professional sales experience but he was asking me about college? I graduated 6 years ago buddy. I could go on and on... But ultimately, I did not get an offer which is probably for the best. The local team and manager were great but the last guy was a jerk.

I believe they are looking for a more green candidate and it wouldn't be a bad place to start but with little sales experience, this would have a very steep learning curve in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What sets Paycom apart for you? What's the last book you've read?   Answer Question

Mar 14, 2016 – Representative

We’re sorry you had an unpleasant experience with one of our hiring managers. We aim to be respectful of our candidates’ time and ensure our hiring managers are aware of each applicants career ... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then a facetime interview with a recruiter from the Oklahoma city headquarters. Both went extremely well. Straightforward questions about my resume, my experience, and my skills.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Denver, CO) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very comprehensive- I interviewed with several different managers (on the phone, in person, and via webcam) and met the team and went on a ride-along appointment with another sales representative. I got a good idea of the company culture through the interview process, and by the time I was hired I felt that I understood what my role would be like. All the managers and employees were very helpful and welcoming throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• What are your short term and long term financial and professional goals?   Answer Question
    • What is the hardest thing you have ever had to overcome?   1 Answer