Paycom Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2018

3.3

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

First interview began with a Skype interview with a recruiter that lasted about 30 mins very easy and simple questions were asked. Second interview was conducted with the manager hiring for the position interview lasted about an hour but towards the end of the interview began to feel very uncomfortable with the questions being asked such as whether my parents were divorced and how many kids I had questions that did not pertain to the position. Anyways made it to the 3rd interview which was an introduction to the team a long with a phone blitz which required 3 appts be set minimum. 3 appts minimum didn’t seem tough. This is where my perception of the company turned even more I was brought in along with another candidate in what seemed to be a battle of who do I prefer more which seemed extremely unprofessional we were asked the same set of questions and it seemed extremely weird to say the least. I have indured some good and bad interview experiences but the last interview was by far the worst experience I’ve had. Hiring manager was extremely unprofessional in some instances cursed and in many instances spoke about many things irrelevant to the position such as personal life, what things they like to purchase with there money and other things. If you have years of sales experience and are looking for a professional environment to continue your career then this position is not for you more geared towards kids coming out of college. Again I can careless about the offer but the professionalism was not there and almost felt like I was being profiled.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Paycom in November 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out via LinkedIn. Did 2 phone interviews and an in person interview. All went well and every one was pleasant. In preparation for the interviews I noticed while searching LinkedIn and stats that Paycom do not have many minorities working for them. During my LinkedIn search i only could find 1!! First red flag. Once I walked in the office I instantly noticed NO minorities. I knew then I was more than likely being used to reach quota either for interviews or hiring and figured that’s why she reached out and scheduled everything so fast. 3 interviews within a week. Wasn’t shocked that even though I nailed the interview( questions, skill set, brag book, presentation) I got an email saying they went with another candidate. I was more so irritated the recruiter wasted my time knowing they had no intentions of hiring me esp considering she reached out and brought the opportunity to me. I felt straight used!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 11, 2018 – Representative

Thank you for telling us about your interview experience as we will use this feedback as an opportunity to teach and train our recruiting and hiring managers. Based on your description, it seems like... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

The interview process at Paycom is very very flawed, and I will get to why here. I had to change up my post some to keep it as anonymous as possible for Glassdoor. Here was my process.
    -Met them at career fair and had a fantastic conversation.
    -Emailed them afterwords about how interested I was (as I was asked to do).
    -They respond 1 MONTH later and we get the ball rolling on getting an interview set up.
    -I am set up for an interview with an interviewer over a webcam.
    -Interviewer NEVER SHOWS UP to the webcam interview and apparently had no idea it was happening.
    -After a couple weeks, I am able to have an interview with the interviewer.
    -Interview goes well, but THE POSITION THAT I WAS APPLYING FOR WASN'T EVEN AVAILABLE. Big waste of time and energy.
    -I talk to them about another location I could interview with and I am set up with another interviewer to have an interview.
    -I interview with the interviewer, and it goes decently but not well enough to proceed in the interview process.
    -I was told I was denied because THERE AREN'T ANY OPENINGS and because I don't have enough experience. I should go get a couple years of sales under my belt and apply again.
    All I ask is that if Paycom is going to go to career fairs at universities, please have students apply for positions that are actually available, and not deny them for not having a couple years of sales experience under their belt. Most college students are willing to relocate so have them apply for positions that are available or soon to be available. I and a lot of other students have been put through the ringer interviewing with Paycom because of how promising an outside sales role is there, only to be denied for reasons beyond my control. I hope this post helps. I spent a lot of time interviewing with Paycom.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. What would you consider your biggest accomplishment?
      3. What is Paycom's value proposition?
      4. What are you most afraid of?
      5. What are you doing to combat that fear?
      6. What was your most common/biggest objection/rejection in your previous job?   Answer Question

Dec 1, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we are disappointed to read of your experiences. We truly value our candidate’s time and strive for all parties to have a favorable experience. Our... More

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

I was contacted by Paycom after applying for a second time after they did not move me forward 3 months ago. Even though the phone interview went great and was supposed to move on to the in-person interview with the office manager (again), I was told after days without hearing that it had not been enough time from the office manager's perspective. For this to happen two times made me feel that there was a disconnect between hiring expectations between the recruiters and office managers. Regardless, recruiters are wasting applicants time when they aren't communicating effectively with their office managers.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 22, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Our candidates time is invaluable to us, and we always aim to be respectful. We have spoken to the director of sales recruiting to ensure all... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paycom (Atlanta, GA) in July 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with a recruiter and was then moved on to interview with the sales manager. While the interview went well, I never heard back from anyone until I followed up.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Aug 7, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience and we apologize for the lack of communication. We wish you the best.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Hardest interview of my life, and also the most rewarding!

-Recruiter made first contact on LinkedIn
    -Phone call with recruiter
    -Online application, resume submission, and personality test
    -In person interview with the sales manager
    -Power Point presentation to the local sales team
    -4 hour working interview - must book 3 appointments in 4 hours and fit in with the staff.
    -Facetime interview with Regional VP of Sales
    -Verbal job offer
    -Drug test, background check, driving history check, and must supply a minimum of 5 professional references

Interview Questions

• What is more important to you? Your personal life or professional life?   Answer Question

Jul 21, 2017 – Representative

Welcome to the Paycom team! Thank you for the detailed review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

First off let me start by saying this. If you are a brown person and you are interested in a position here, I would stay away! Keep reading and you will know why.

I applied to the position through Linked in and was reached out to by Email for a webcam interview. The recruiter was very nice and a genuinely good person. When we got on the Skype call, he saw my face (I had a small beard) and told me that he now has put a "face to the name" and that we can talk on the phone instead of on Skype. Which was not a big deal because we were having sound issues with Skype. The interview was fine, and at the end he set up a face to face with the manager at the office. Before we hung up, he asked me about my beard, He asked me if it was for religion or for something else. He also told me that if I want my chances of moving forward to be higher that I should shave. He told me that the reason for this was to "look more professional" and so the manager doesn't say "oh he doesn't listen to orders". I was okay with shaving but my point is, if you are growing a beard for religion you are out of luck, you will be discriminated against and your chances of moving forward will be lower...

The recruiter loved me and even sent me tips on how to do well in the next interview.

Face to Face interview ---

When I went to the Face to Face interview, The manager saw me waiting out the door and walked towards me the door to open it, when he saw my face, he proceeded to stop give me the "wait" finger and started talking to one of his co-workers, right in front of me. As I waited there for what seemed to be 5 minutes, he finally stop talking to his coworker and let me in. (felt like i was at a zoo being watched) Anyways, when I got in the office, every SINGLE PERSON was white. no diversity what so ever. Being a brown person, I am used to this kind of thing when it comes to big companies like this. Anyways, when I was in the office with him, we talked a bit about my self, and how I grew up and he asked me a couple of interview questions. During my interview, he told me that this was to get to know me and it was nothing too formal, but he did not seem interested at all to what I was saying and was looking at his computer screen.

When the interview was over, I closed and asked next steps. He told me that he still had to talk to the recruiter and if they "think I am a good fit they will contact me" ... but I thought this was a personality interview rather than how well i could do the job???

Long story short, it felt Awkward, I felt like the odd ball out, I saw a couple of negative reviews on here before my interviews about the company discriminating if you are brown, I dismissed them as people who were mad they didn't get the job but they turned out to be right.

Moral of the interview process -- If you are Brown or if you have a beard, dont apply here, you most likely wont get it.

Thanks for tuning in folks, and good luck!

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Apr 18, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us. The director of recruiting is looking into the details of your experience as we take your comments very seriously. We take pride in the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Lewisville, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The process began with a recruiter contacting me about the position. They submitted me, and I had a phone interview a week later. After a brief phone interview with basic questions such as name three characteristics a colleague would describe you have, name a time you overcame adversity, why are you looking for a new position, etc. I was brought in for an in person interview.

I took off work, drove over 45 minutes, spent $20 in tolls, and spent hours preparing myself for this interview. I got there, they had me take a 15 minute Wonderlic test and got to spend 15 minutes with the Sales Manager before they sent me on my way. I actually spent more time driving one way than I got to spend with the manager.

Overall, I felt like it was very rushed and extremely unprofessional. When asking questions to the Sales Manager, he couldn't give me straight answers to any of them. For example, I asked what territory were they hiring for specifically, and he actually told me that "We're not sure at this point. I have the northern territory, so we're still evaluating." I mean come on?

After the interview, I emailed the manager and HR rep to thank them for their time and was informed a week later, without a response, that they were pursuing other candidates. I already had my doubts regarding the company after the reviews online and the interview process, so I'm very pleased to no longer have to consider Paycom as a potential employer.

Interview Questions

• Name three characteristics your current colleagues would describe you have. Name a time you overcame adversity. Why are you interested in Paycom? How did you hear about us?   Answer Question

Feb 17, 2017 – Representative

We appreciate your feedback as we’re always striving to improve the candidate experience. At Paycom, we always aim to be respectful of our candidates time. We apologize for the lack of communication... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paycom (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. She was very enthusiastic and quick to follow-up. We had a Skype meeting and it went very well!

Planned meeting with Regional Sales Manager on the spot. Interview was focused around the financial benefits, closing deals, success of the team, and the technology they use. Took a online personality test beforehand.

Next step is to use their list to cold call potential clients and set up three meetings.

This position is for someone who has years of B2B experience and who has dealt with businesses that have a large number of employees. You have to be very aggressive and passionate about winning new business.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom in November 2016.

Interview

I was sought out via LinkedIn by a recruiter who simply asked if I wanted more information about the position. We had a quick phone call where he just talked about what the job entailed and I was able to ask any questions I had. After this, he passed me onto the hiring manager for the office I was applying for. I went in and had about a pretty casual 45 minute conversation where we went over my resume, talked about why I was looking for a change, and then they answered any questions I had. From here, we scheduled my presentation and phone canvassing interview for a few days later.

For the presentation piece, the recruiter was available and extremely responsive if I had any questions before hand. What they're looking for here is that you can pitch Paycom to a group of people. You do not need to go too in depth and make sure you at least try to have fun with it! I did about a 6 minute Powerpoint.

For the phone canvassing piece, you are required to make three appointments in four hours. The recruiter recommended I read 'Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work!)' by Stephen Schiffman. This helped me a ton and I highly recommend it before phone canvassing. Before we started cold calling, I was able to practice a little with the sales reps-- they are there to help! Ask them questions! The biggest advice I can give here is be tenacious and coachable. Do not put the phone down and if something isn't working, ask for help or try a different talk track. Persistence is key!

After this, I spoke with the hiring manager again and then was put on a call with the regional manager where we spoke a little bit about my background.

TIP: MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE HIRING MANAGER. Ask for the job.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Nov 22, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed review. We're happy to have you on the Paycom team!