Paycom Payroll Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

3.1

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2017.

Interview

It takes about 3 weeks. First is the phone interview with the recruiter. Questions were very simple and recruiter was very nice. After 3 days, got an invitation for the in person interview at the company's headquarter. The interview was very straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Paycom?   1 Answer

Aug 21, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Paycom

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in May 2016.

Interview

Not too bad. Grilled you with some questions about your previous job and what the current job entails. Started off with the phone screenings, then personality / aptitude tests and then interviewed by 2 members from Paycom Specialist (PSD) role. After this process, offer was given, but took over 2 weeks for recruiter to follow up.

Interview Questions

• This is a very fast paced, the most challenging, stressful role at Paycom, is this something you are able to handle?   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for sharing your interview experience!

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2016.

Interview

The process is typically multiple step, as most are. As long as you are of interest, HR will give you a call and screen you. For the specialist job, they need to know that you are comfortable speaking with people over the phone, can be understood, and are personable enough. Later, you will be sent instructions for a follow up interview on the campus. This will consist of a short computer exam that it similar to easy-moderate ACT or SAT questions. They've got to make sure they higher people with reasonable reasoning skills! After the exam, you sit with a Supervisor typically (someone who oversees a group of Team Leaders, which are people who oversee several people like you wish to be hired to be.) The Supervisor will ask you general interview questions based on how good they are at interviewing; my interviewer wasn't great. But things like, "Why do you want the position?," "What are your strengths?," and "Do you consider yourself.....?" After the Supervisor, you will likely meet with someone higher than that. They will take the time to know you and grill you further and in more meaningful ways. What drives you? Do you strive to learn? etc.... Don't be surprised if they make an offer on the spot. There may be deliberation and discussion before a formal offer is given but if they find the 'talent' they will often give a offer with you sitting there. Clarify, OH CLARIFY, the pay, the compensation, the pay increase that comes with growth. Nail it down. Ask to see a piece of paper with it on it. Just saying...

Interview Questions

• What do you do to grow yourself?   1 Answer

Jan 30, 2017 – Representative

Thank you for the detailed interview review over our Paycom specialist role. Welcome to Paycom!

Payroll Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Paycom.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 of the managers. They were very nice and casual. A friend of mine worked there as well. There was an excel test, iq test, and personality test. Application to hire in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a customer that was upset?   1 Answer

Dec 23, 2015 – Representative

Welcome to the Paycom team. We’re sorry you had a negative interview experience. Please reach out to a member of HR to explain further.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in June 2015.

Interview

I have applied twice and been called in to interview twice. I performed exceptionally well on my online tests and felt very positive the second interview that they called me in for. Shortly after the beginning of the interview they asked what reason I was given for not getting the job before. I told the interviewee that I wasn't given any. She proceeded to end the interview by stating she would have to look into it. They didn't have any feed back from either interview. Very discouraging.

Interview Questions

Paycom Response

Oct 1, 2015 – Representative

We appreciate all feedback and will use this as a means to improve the interview processes. Your experience is not the norm and we are looking into ways in which we can improve our process for cases... More

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quick. I started at a career fair and had two additional interviews after that. The recruiters were friendly and gave me good vibes. It was not a difficult decision to accept when they called me and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were not selected for a promotion when going against a teammate of yours?   1 Answer

May 26, 2016 – Representative

Thank you for the interview review. Welcome to the team!

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in December 2014.

Interview

Great! Paycom's recruiters are amazing.The recruiter presented four different positions that I would qualify for and gave me a realistic run down of each position; salary, growth opportunity, daily outlook, etc. I found that very helpful in making the decision on which I wanted to pursue. Had two different face-to-face interviews. The process was very streamline. The recruiter called me within an hour of each interview so there was not a time of having to sit around and wonder how it went, That was appreciated.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about customer relationships and how I viewed the importance of that   1 Answer

Dec 1, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your interview experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in May 2014.

Interview

I talked with multiple recruiters who all thought they were the first to talk to me. I would get halfway through the screening and have to tell them that I had already been asked these same questions by a different recruiter. For someone who is supposed to talk to candidates a lot, she said 'umm' way to much. Anyway, I have done two phone screens with two different recruiters and still have not heard anything back. I did get one generic decline for a position I applied over a year ago for. That was funny.

Interview Questions

• All seemed to be canned behavioral questions. there wasn't much flow, more like reading off a prompt or something. Did cover everything about the position including compensation which was about $15.00 an hour   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

The process was quick and seemed smooth and simple, however when it came to receiving word back about whether or not I had received the job, the recruiter that had been working with me avoided my calls and did not reply to my emails. Then, in the end, I received a rejection via automated email. This was after an online application, having my resume referred by a family friend within the company, a phone/screening interview, and two in-person interviews -- the second of which the interviewer spent the majority of the interview assuring me that they company saw me as a great asset with high test scores, good interviewing skills, and a great educational background, though they feared I might be overqualified. I was told quote,"We wouldn't want to lose you to another employer." I find it a bit disingenuous after being later rejected and told from my friend within the company that ultimately I wasn't given the job because they felt I was too quiet.

Interview Questions

• We believe you may be overqualified. How would you respond to that?   1 Answer

Mar 18, 2014 – Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely review with our in-house team and agency partners the process for notifying candidates when decisions are made. We respect each of our candidates time... More

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paycom (Oklahoma City, OK) in September 2013.

Interview

The Paycom hiring process is not for the weak of heart. It is stringent as the companies mindset is to hire and retain the best of the best. I went through three interviews: an initial phone screening with a recruiter, a interview with my current supervisor, and a final interview with my supervisor and a Director of my department. After the successful phone interview, the recruiter had me follow up with taking a few tests which included a test on excel, and typing tests to determine you speed. These were very clear cut tests and are easily completed if you are computer savvy. Before my first interview, I was prompted to complete another quiz, it was mostly analogies like you would see on an ACT. The test was timed but there were not expectations as far as completion. Both interviews at the company location were formal but not too intimidating. The best advice I could give would be to come prepared with knowledge on the company and specific questions on your position or the company. Also, be prepared to answer your interviewers questions with detailed professional answers.

Interview Questions

• My most difficult question was, where do you see yourself in five years? I am amongst the youngest here and honestly, my future could go anywhere. I was genuine and honest in my answer of what a dream future would be like for me and apparently it served me well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I originally was not interviewing for the Specialist position, even though they had positions open. My first interview I made clear that I was very customer focused as I had been in retail management for several years and working with customers and having that interaction is what I loved to do. This convinced them to interview me for the specialist position, which is higher than the original position I was applying for. Just be honest with yourself on what makes you happy, and whatever position you decide to apply for Paycom is a great place to be.