Payless ShoeSource Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 28, 2017

2.1

164 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied and 2 days later I received calls from 3 different Payless locations. I made an interview for the following week. Interview went well, was pretty casual and we did some role playing and then I was told that they would review my file and the store manager would give me a call back. Manager called me the next day and scheduled a follow up interview for 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had to help someone make a decision and what was the final outcome?   1 Answer
  • What have you been doing since your last job?   Answer Question
  • When was a time you have been asked to carry on multiple things at once?   Answer Question
  • Would you have a problem if you were the only one working?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Payless ShoeSource

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I arrived forty minutes before my appointment on a Friday. I was informed by an associate that the store manager needed to reschedule my interview due to a family emergency. I left my resume and number to reschedule but I never received a phone call. Today is Thursday, still no phone call. I started to regret arriving earlier than expected but seeing as I have never received a callback, I guess I'm okay with having no employment with the company. Especially since Payless Corporate has filed for bankruptcy, over five hundred stores have shutdown, and franchised stores may close in the future sooner than later.

I would have called the store back but I decided to attend future interviews after this interview being cancelled. I can't say my experience was negative because I never interviewed but I will say it was bummer to pay a fare to an interview that was never going to take place even if I had arrived on time, I'm assuming. Thankfully, the interview was less than an hour away on foot from home.

The store manager was sweet via intake phone interview. I called her to follow up on application and she did call me back a day or two later. Unfortunately store interview never happened. At least not yet.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability?   1 Answer
    • Can you work weekends?   1 Answer
    • Are you legally eighteen years of age or older?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Florissant, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Florissant, MO).

Interview

easy personality questions life goals previous employer question dress fashionably friendly short role play on selling an item hours and days open to work the benifits thats about it

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online via Indeed.com. I received a call about 15 minutes later to set up an interview the next day. The first interview was with a multi-store manager. She asked a few easy questions about myself and my availability. Also role played where she was a customer and I was an employee. She made me sell her a marker. The second interview was a few days later with the general/district manager. She pretty much asked the same questions as the first, as well as availability and why I chose now to start working.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coon Rapids, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Coon Rapids, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied and got a call two hours later, set up an interview for the next day. It was a very easy process and the manger was nice. Basic questions asked and had to pretend the manager was a customer and help her. Pay was great and hours were great, only reason I didn't accept was being a young female alone in the store made me uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had multiple people need help, and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • When did you help a guest make a decision and be happy?   Answer Question
    • When is a time that you made a mistake and how did you fix it, and make sure it wouldn't happen again   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Wichita, KS) in April 2017.

Interview

Easy interview process. Went in Thursday to buy shoes talked to manager was told to apple. Applied Friday, had an interview on Monday or Tuesday, and got hired and started the following Saturday with doing paper work.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource in April 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview, we did role playing in the store with another associate then we went to a different area and continued with the interview process. Also went over the process on how we are rated as a sales associate if we are hired on. The better sales person you are and if you are achieving the goals the more raise opportunities you get.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from the store leader for an interview. When I went in, there were also six other girls and no one was informed it would be a group interview. It was very long but simple. The interview was held in the break room. The district leader initiated the interview as the store leader occasionally interrupted and took notes. We had to compliment what the girl to our right was wearing and then was told to go to the front and pick out items and sell it to the same girl. After, we were told to go pick out something ugly in the store and then was told to sell it to the girl to left without repeating anything anyone said. They paid very close attention to how creative and enthusiastic you are. We also were put into groups to do a scavenger hunt with the list they gave us and at the end they asked question such as who led the team and who seemed to do the most work. When the group stuff is over and the district leader will ask a few basic question such as why should we choose you and what can you contribute. (At this point, they pretty much know-how they want.) I received a call the day about a follow up interview with just the store leader but it was basically just hiring paper work. *Advice; make sure to make eye contacts and smile.

Interview Questions

• What qualities can you contribute to our company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maryville, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Maryville, MO) in February 2017.

Interview

I was called by the store manager and set up an interview later that week. Once I arrived, I was asked basic questions. We then went to the sales floor to practice the sales process. My manager went on to show me some of his techniques that he uses, and that was the end of the interview. I left knowing I was one of about four applicants. I was called a few days later with an offer, and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How did you solve a problem at a previous job or in other experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Payless ShoeSource (Downey, CA).

Interview

I had an initial interview at the location that I applied for, it was very generic- tell me about a time when ___ type of questions. Then I had a second interview at another location which included a role-play where I had to act as the sales associate and the interviewer was the customer. Both interviews were relatively short.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were confronted with a difficulty and how did you deal with it.   1 Answer