Paylocity C# MVC Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

C# MVC Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied directly (No recruiters) for a Software Engineer position. Basic phone interview from HR, followed by a phone screen by a tech lead.
Very basic questions about languages and coding practices. I was also told to write the implementation of a simple function on the screen. Mine was a one or two lines of code with a little argument checking. (very easy)
Then I had a phone conversation with a director. Got positive feedback from everyone. I then spent all day at their office meeting another tech lead, 2 other devs, project managers, directors, and president. Very nice people. I enjoyed talking with president a lot. Whiteboard test went ok. It was a bit unrealistic problem with recursive functions. (Can I at least code in Visual Studio..?)

The company seems to be doing a lot of work for its development team. They are almost like a tech company. Decent office and relatively good benefits, work from home, etc. They do care about retaining employees and many people seem to stay for many years. (This is good and bad, of cource.)

I received an offer very quickly, but the salary was not exactly what I was asking for. I tried to negotiate but I was told that my front-end skills needed improvement. I was a bit surprised to hear because I've been dealing with front-end work (as a backend developer) throughout my career. I am certainly not an HTML5/CSS3 guru, but the position was for an C# MVC (and SQL) developer.
They did ask me quite a few front end questions, however. And I got the impression that they care a lot more about frontend than backend. I work with JavaScript and CSS every day. I just don't happen to use what they were testing. On the other hand, the C# questions were all easy for me. They were all really basic. SQL questions were also easy, although I heard one tech lead saying they use the nolock hint for every SELECT statement. (I immediately disagreed.)

I expected a simple increase from my original offer without further questions, but I eventually decided to decline the offer because they went on and on about how they reached the original offer. At the end I was not very happy about their feedback. I'm moving on.

Interview Questions

• *Difference between visibility: hidden; and display:none (Depending on the element, aren't these the same..??)
    *Explain JavaScript prototype (Isn't it like a class..?)   Answer Question

I was not happy about how they reached the original offer. The salary was lower than I had requested.