Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.8

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2012.

Interview

Tedious but relatively Painless. They recently updated it, so it could be shorter/less mysterious. At the time, one applied to Peace Corps as a whole and they assigned you where they felt you would best serve. Now you apply directly to positions within Peace Corps. This takes some of the fun out of it, but it does make it more useful (and faster!)

Interview Questions

• Have you had any mental health issues?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Bellingham, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

It was a 90 minute interview where I discussed with the recruiter every possible aspect of my preparation to work abroad, including volunteer experience, educational preparation, emotional wellness, to physical suitability. My recruiter was very enthusiastic and encouraging. After the initial interview with the recruiter, I had a phone interview with a representative from the regional office. I believe it was up to that person to nominate me for a position. I applied in April 2012. My first interview was in April, the second was in May. In June, I heard back that they nominated me for a position starting in June of the following year. In December or January of 2013, I was invited to take the position in June of that year.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about working in another language, maybe one you aren't comfortable in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Portland, ME) in February 2009.

Interview

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Negotiation

Minimal

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

It took over a year to be given my placement, the application process has changed since I've applied. Its been a long time since i applied so it's hard to remember the entire process. There were many steps to the paper part of the application, then i had an in-person interview. I received a nomination for the "Pacific" region a few weeks after my interview.

Interview Questions

• questions about adapting to different cultures. Questions about experience teaching   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (South Bend, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough. I was impressed. There were two in-person interviews, a phone interview, and I had to write an essay. It confirmed that the Peace Corps is doing its best to get good, committed people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Program and Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Salvador (El Salvador)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (San Salvador (El Salvador)) in September 2014.

Interview

This was the process for a post position in Latin America, not a US based position.
    The first step consisted in a panel interview with 6 staff members where they asked me informational and informational questions. The staff asked me a total of 12 questions, only 4 of them in Spanish and the rest in English.
    The second step of the process was to prepare a 20 minute presentation on a given topic related to one of the Peace Corps projects. I couldn't use power point, videos, music or any kind of technology. This presentation was in front of the same panel that interviewed me and I would be evaluated on my communication skills to present information, creativity and content.
    The final step consisted on a driving test for manual transmission 4x4 cars.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

They interview was simple, yet it is hard to anticipate any of the questions. They ask about experience related to work you have to do, I was worried for the things I didn't know but really it is only to know what training you need later. Two people did the interview and each asked the question that fits the kind of our I should do, what can I learn and what the position will add to my experience. It was friendly and nice, nothing to make anyone nervous. They gave me the time to ask questions and it was all answered.

Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2012.

Interview

The hiring process took over a year, due to a lost fingerprint packet in the mail. When it did finally arrive the process was rather speedy. Since I had met the recruiter in person at an event, we did a phone interview. Be prepared, almost every question was a behavioral interview question i.e. "Name a time when..." It is absolutely necessary that you show your flexibility. My interviewer nominated me and connected me with a placement coordinator.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you did not agree with a rule you had to follow, what did you do?   Answer Question

Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I interviewed over Skype, as do most applicants since the change in their process (2014). The interviewer stuck to a strict list of questions that seemed to be standard for all interviewees. The list of questions can be found online by doing a simple search. It didn't feel very engaged at all, but understandably because of the huge number of applicants. Overall, not a great experience but worth it. I felt overly prepared and the interviewer seemed impatient about the lengthier responses.

Interview Questions

• Q: Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation.   Answer Question

Health Extension Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Wilmington, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

The process was very long, and had many steps. Mine took more than 18 month from the time that i applied to the time that I was invited to serve in a country. However, the process is now much shorter and easier to navigate. Most of it is paperwork that you have to submit by certain times. The in-person interviews were quite relaxed. It was mostly them assessing to see what your goals were and why you wanted to join PC. Also, they ask questions to ascertain that you creative, flexible and open enough to live and work in a whole new country. If this is your passion, it will be a breeze, but if you are not sure, I would advice talking to someone who has volunteered or worked abroad to see what they found to be challenging, exciting and so on before your interviews.

Interview Questions

• what do you think will be the biggest challenge living and working in a new country, and how will you deal with it?   1 Answer