Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2017

2.8

Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I interviewed over Skype, as do most applicants since the change in their process (2014). The interviewer stuck to a strict list of questions that seemed to be standard for all interviewees. The list of questions can be found online by doing a simple search. It didn't feel very engaged at all, but understandably because of the huge number of applicants. Overall, not a great experience but worth it. I felt overly prepared and the interviewer seemed impatient about the lengthier responses.

Interview Questions

• Q: Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation.   Answer Question

Health Extension Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Wilmington, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

The process was very long, and had many steps. Mine took more than 18 month from the time that i applied to the time that I was invited to serve in a country. However, the process is now much shorter and easier to navigate. Most of it is paperwork that you have to submit by certain times. The in-person interviews were quite relaxed. It was mostly them assessing to see what your goals were and why you wanted to join PC. Also, they ask questions to ascertain that you creative, flexible and open enough to live and work in a whole new country. If this is your passion, it will be a breeze, but if you are not sure, I would advice talking to someone who has volunteered or worked abroad to see what they found to be challenging, exciting and so on before your interviews.

Interview Questions

• what do you think will be the biggest challenge living and working in a new country, and how will you deal with it?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Interview process took about a year to complete, including over the phone talks and medical reviews. I would suggest working with the Peace Corps recruiter in your area to prepare as well as answer any questions you have about service and working with the Peace Corps.

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Long application to fill out online. Then there are face to face interviews where answers are copied down meticulously. If you get through that process you have a long list of medical examinations. Then if your site gets rescheduled you may have to have another interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• What life experiences have prepared you for experiences in Africa?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is none... You get paid very little. It's about the experience.

Technical Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston (Jamaica)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Kingston (Jamaica)) in April 2009.

Interview

Very transparent advertising process for the job. The application process is very specific . Long application that must be tailored to the knowledge , skills and abilities (KSA's) of peace corps . Interviewing is by panel, there is a point scoring method. The process is explained at the beginning of interview . Members of the panel take turns . Interview may take up to 1hour. Friendly staff , work environment is not very intense, maybe because its bit about meeting monetary deadlines. I have heard of culture clashes between interviewers and my colleagues( Americans and locals ) but nothing major.

Interview Questions

• Make a presentation to the panel on an area which you might be presenting on to volunteers   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's a non-negotiable offer . Salary was already stated in job advert .

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

Apply on line - process takes 2-6 months. Security background check takes av. 6 weeks additional.

Interview Questions

• Hiring is often done by the Country Director of the post in question - they may involve some members of their staff in the telephone interview. There tend to be many "scenario" questions - usually about three.   Answer Question

Country Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process included an initial panel interview including potential colleagues and a final interview with the Regional Director and the Chief of Operations

Interview Questions

• The questions were largely situational. For example, the interviewer presents you with a possible situation and you have to discuss how you would respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Brief. It was an entry level job and I accepted the salary offered.

Country Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in August 2010.

Interview

This is a government agency and the hiring process is lengthy for overseas jobs. Once you get to the interview stage, though, Peace Corps' core values come through at every stage. They are genuinely nice people! Once you successfully complete the interview process, your name goes on a roster of eligible candidates and you wait for an opening to come up that fits your qualifications. It was about 15 months end to end.

Interview Questions

• A scenario posed by the director of the agency about volunteer support.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short. There is very little negotiation.