Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2017

2.8

Youth Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Savannah, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

My interview was so so. I felt confident throughout the interview. I gave good examples. My interview was a little over an hour. I didn't feel confident about my interview because the placement didn't seem to click with me. He didn't laugh at my jokes. I got an invitation roughly 20 days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. How will you prepare to serve for 27 months? Give an example of a difficult time. How did you handle it! What do you do in your free time?   1 Answer

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

It's an hour long process, but it's not the typical interview questions. They'll ask you a lot about why you want to join and your background. A big point they will focus on is whether you are committed to 2 years and if you are going to possibly not fulfill your 2 years. That is something they don't want, to accept being a volunteer, but then run back to America because you can't handle it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

We met at a cafe. The interviewer asked me scripted questions and recorded my responses. It was not incredibly formal or stressful, but they do expect you to dress professionally (minimum business casual).

Interview Questions

• Are you prepared to live under conditions of hardship?   Answer Question

Community Economic Development Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Denver, CO) in March 2014.

Interview

They are basically trying to filter out the applicants who are not fully committed to living abroad for two years. The questions often surround your ability to cope in stressful situations with or without typical coping mechanisms available in the states, your motivations for wanting to serve, and your physical and mental ability to handle it.

Interview Questions

• In the absence of your typical coping mechanisms, how will you handle being overwhelmed or stressed in a foreign country? Consider not having access to internet, family members, or friends.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I submitted my application online and hear back within a few weeks for an interview. I was contacted directly by the recruiter, Shannon. The interview itself lasted about an hour. I was accepted to continue with the placement process by the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you took a leadership position.   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you willing to adapt your physical appearance or behavior according to the norms of your host country?   Answer Question
    • Q: What are your normal outlets for dealing with stress? How do you think you'll react and adapt when your normal outlets are not available to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2012.

Interview

It took over a year to be given my placement, the application process has changed since I've applied. Its been a long time since i applied so it's hard to remember the entire process. There were many steps to the paper part of the application, then i had an in-person interview. I received a nomination for the "Pacific" region a few weeks after my interview.

Interview Questions

• questions about adapting to different cultures. Questions about experience teaching   Answer Question

Education Volunteer Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (San Diego, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got interviewed by a recruiter in September 2013. I would have been given an offer had it not been for an old medical issue. I got an official invitation on Feb 2014 for a program starting in July 2014.

Interview Questions

• How do you expect to cope with being 'on-duty' for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (South Bend, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

It was very thorough. I was impressed. There were two in-person interviews, a phone interview, and I had to write an essay. It confirmed that the Peace Corps is doing its best to get good, committed people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2016.

Interview

Interview was done via video conference (although the video didn't end up working) and was pretty straightforward. It took about 2 hours total but that included me asking questions as well. The interviewer asked the six questions based on the topics listed in his email - no surprises there. That made it very easy to prepare!

Be ready to discuss how you feel about the key challenges PCVs face and any concerns you have about them (i.e. isolation, loneliness, diet, etc). I would also be sure to prepare questions ahead of time about the role, the interviewer's own background, etc. to express your true interest in the role.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience you had transferring knowledge or skills to another person. What did you learn from that experience, and how are you applying those lessons today?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

The Regional Recruiter asked about my professional experience, but was also very interested in my character. There were some behavioral and personality questions. Overall it was an easy conversation where I was sure to highlight how my previous experience applies to Peace Corps service and the three goals of the organization.