Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.8

Country Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process included an initial panel interview including potential colleagues and a final interview with the Regional Director and the Chief of Operations

Interview Questions

• The questions were largely situational. For example, the interviewer presents you with a possible situation and you have to discuss how you would respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Brief. It was an entry level job and I accepted the salary offered.

Country Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in August 2010.

Interview

This is a government agency and the hiring process is lengthy for overseas jobs. Once you get to the interview stage, though, Peace Corps' core values come through at every stage. They are genuinely nice people! Once you successfully complete the interview process, your name goes on a roster of eligible candidates and you wait for an opening to come up that fits your qualifications. It was about 15 months end to end.

Interview Questions

• A scenario posed by the director of the agency about volunteer support.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short. There is very little negotiation.

Volunteer Interview

Interview

Very long interview process. Phone interview, in person interview. Medical and dental evaluations and more phone interviews with headquarters. Application process took me two years from start to finish (placement notification).

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to change your physical appearance?   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in June 2009.

Interview

I received an email and phone call requesting an interview within 2 days. The interview was standardized and the panel took notes of my answers. It was very formal and seemed as if they had already hired someone or were just going through the motions. There was no conversation- probably the strangest interview I've had.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was online through Skype with the interviewer being based in DC. Make sure you review your resume as anything you put on it is fair game, however, particularly review and be ready to talk about any of your experience that is relevant to the sector you are applying or is international. It lasted for about 2 hours. My overall experience of the interview was for them to gauge your intentions and verify your work experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to gain out of your peace corps experience?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview surprisingly soon after I submitted the application. The interview followed the typical format. Many of the questions focused on prior experience living and working/volunteering in other countries in addition to questions about skills for the position I applied to. I was offered the position about a month later.

Agricultural Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in June 2016.

Interview

The process first starts out with an online application and motivation statement. You are allowed to choose preferences for sector, placement area, and departure time. They do encourage if you did not receive an invitation to service to reach out to a recruiter and apply again.

Interview Questions

• What makes this time applying for Peace Corps, different than the previous invitation.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Applied via online application, had a phone interview about two weeks later, heard about an invitation after another two weeks. After that, had seven days to accept/decline the invitation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you stepped up as a leader.   Answer Question
    • I had indicated that I was a vegetarian earlier in the application process and was asked what I would do if I showed up to my community on day one and they had a huge party prepared and served me meat as a sign of appreciation.   Answer Question
    • How do you plan to integrate into a different culture?   Answer Question

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2017.

Interview

1 hour interview, asking various questions about your experience, your preparedness for volunteer service, what to expect from your placement. Similar questions to the online application form. They give no indication whether you will likely be accepted or not.

Interview Questions

• Name one activity you had difficulty doing but succeeded in the end.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Fill out online application, got placed under consideration for a county, interview requested,
    interview and finally got invited. Invitation was 6 months before scheduled date to leave. Received clearances 3-4 months before.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember--but we talked about adjusting to life and how to manage that.   Answer Question