Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2017

2.8

Volunteer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

Interview

The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, NM) in February 2010.

Interview

It used to be an extremely long process (it took me over two years between writing my initial application to becoming a Peace Corps Trainee), but that doesn't matter anymore because they streamlined the hiring process. Now it is much better, says my sister who works for Peace Corps.

You apply online, meet with a Peace Corps recruiter, complete an extremely in-depth medical check, and a clearance check. The medical check is the most cumbersome part (vision, dental, and more).

The actual interview is simple, they just want to see if you'd be fit.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to live in a country where women are very discriminated?Are you a vegetarian? Would you be willing to change that?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2013.

Interview

Took forever to go through selection process. On-line application. Screened by an personal interview at their office. Many months went by before they processed and told me where I would be serving. Delay in my leave date.

Interview Questions

• If I wanted to live near other volunteers   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

first applies online and then recruiter asked to set up an phone interview , then after that I was asked to get an interview with the engineering team,and the good to go

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Durham, NC) in June 2012.

Interview

Very laid-back, we met in a coffee shop. However, after being nominated for a position it took a very long time before I was actually assigned to a country. If you want to join Peace Corps, be prepared for a lot of waiting; however, know that you will eventually be accepted.

Youth Dev Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

Extensive. There were often points where I forgot I had applied. Like many federal jobs, this one take some time. I had several interviews over the phone, and one in person in NYC. The one thing that kept me going was when they made it clear that I was a strong applicant.

Education Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Gainesville, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

Submitted online application and materials, interviewed through Skype by Atlanta office. Interview was nothing unexpected after reading materials online. Spoke to my interviewer only that one time. Mostly a personality interview.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online and a couple of weeks later I received a call from a recruiter a set up an in-person interview. I had my interview a couple weeks later, with the same recruiter who had called to set up the interview. The interview lasted about 75-90 minutes, and the recruiter was very friendly. After the interview was over, the recruiter took a few minutes to take my fingerprints, and during that time I could ask questions that I had about the Peace Corps. About three days after the interview, the recruiter called me to let me know that I had been nominated for a position.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview

Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
    • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question

Negotiation

the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA) in February 2009.

Interview

1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Questions

• What will you do when there is nothing to do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.