Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2016.

Interview

Interview was done via video conference (although the video didn't end up working) and was pretty straightforward. It took about 2 hours total but that included me asking questions as well. The interviewer asked the six questions based on the topics listed in his email - no surprises there. That made it very easy to prepare!

Be ready to discuss how you feel about the key challenges PCVs face and any concerns you have about them (i.e. isolation, loneliness, diet, etc). I would also be sure to prepare questions ahead of time about the role, the interviewer's own background, etc. to express your true interest in the role.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience you had transferring knowledge or skills to another person. What did you learn from that experience, and how are you applying those lessons today?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

The Regional Recruiter asked about my professional experience, but was also very interested in my character. There were some behavioral and personality questions. Overall it was an easy conversation where I was sure to highlight how my previous experience applies to Peace Corps service and the three goals of the organization.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2015.

Interview

Online Application with a phone/skype interview a few months later. Peace Corps firsts screens you for a certain placement and you schedule your interview following that. Mainly it was a fit interview in making sure that they understood your motivation to join Peace Corps as well as your maturity on dealing with Peace Corps life. It was an hour long phone interview in which you talk to a Peace Corps recruiter regarding a specific placement.

Interview Questions

• One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that?   Answer Question
    • Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Community Health Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chicago, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

Two hour conversation in-person (could have been completed over the phone). Spoke to a recruiter/RPCV about expectations, adjusting to life in another country, travel experience, relevant work experience, and the prospect of living abroad for 27 months in potential conditions of hardship.

Interview Questions

• How do you expect to adjust to not having your normal support networks?   1 Answer

Health Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in February 2013.

Interview

Comprehensive interview seemed to be looking for an idea of how likely it would be for me to quit more than a measure of my actual experience. Be honest about how you answer preference questions as that may come in to play during the placement process both before you leave and when you are on the ground in the country.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I would manage certain challenges at site like being placed in a village where it was culturally expected to drink alcohol, or go to church.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2016.

Interview

Standard phone interview with PC recruiter in DC. Total interview time was about 45 min and half of the interview was conducted in Spanish as this was a requirement of the opening. I ended up not receiving the offer because they do not allow spouses to travel with the volunteer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict at the workplace and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Office of Civil Rights and Diversity Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and took about two to three weeks. I applied at my school's career database when the internship opened up and the staff called me in for the interview. They had several, typical behavioral questions that most common jobs asked.

After the interview, once I sent them a thank-you note, I heard from them about a week later, during which I then had to go through several processes like a mini-Orientation and et cetera.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself

2. What kinds of news publications do you usually read, related to world events?

3. How do you define diversity?

4. What is your working style?

5. Do you have any questions for us?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call from recruiter about 8 weeks after filling out an online application. After initial interview I had another phone call about 3 months later asking more specific questions about was given an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked in a diverse environment   Answer Question

Literacy Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Online interview with a little flexibility as to when it would occur. I was given a link to open slots and chose the one (within a to-week window) that worked for me.

Interview Questions

• How will you deal with being isolated and away from your loved ones for so long?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2012.

Interview

Tedious but relatively Painless. They recently updated it, so it could be shorter/less mysterious. At the time, one applied to Peace Corps as a whole and they assigned you where they felt you would best serve. Now you apply directly to positions within Peace Corps. This takes some of the fun out of it, but it does make it more useful (and faster!)

Interview Questions

• Have you had any mental health issues?   1 Answer